Logging in required for Waterloo Region area of discussion board

Is there a reason that the Waterloo Region area of the discussion board requires logging in while the other sections do not (examples: Greater Toronto Area, Metro Vancouver)? Someone that has access to the settings of the discussion board should update the Waterloo Region area so that it is the same as others or update all the others so that they are the same as the Waterloo Region area.

You need to be logged in for viewing any of the sub forums on this board. I have to be logged in for the Calgary and Area discussion as well as the Greater Toronto Area sub forums. This has been like this since the time we started Sub Forums on this board. Sign out from the board and then try accessing the Metro Vancouver and Greater Toronto Area sub forums.

You need to be logged in for viewing any of the sub forums on this board. I have to be logged in for the Calgary and Area discussion as well as the Greater Toronto Area sub forums. This has been like this since the time we started Sub Forums on this board. Sign out from the board and then try accessing the Metro Vancouver and Greater Toronto Area sub forums.

Greater Toronto Area is accessible without logging in. Waterloo Region requires logging in. As another example: visitors are able to view postings about Guelph Transit but not about Grand River Transit. Odd choice of settings. Visitors normally read a discussion board for some time before deciding to join. This cannot be done with the Waterloo Region area of the discussion board because it is not visible to visitors.

Greater Toronto Area is accessible without logging in. Waterloo Region requires logging in. As another example: visitors are able to view postings about Guelph Transit but not about Grand River Transit. Odd choice of settings. Visitors normally read a discussion board for some time before deciding to join. This cannot be done with the Waterloo Region area of the discussion board because it is not visible to visitors.

So the point is?

So the point is?

Visitors normally read a discussion board for some time before deciding to join. This cannot be done with the Waterloo Region area of the discussion board because it is not visible to visitors, but it can be done with other areas of the discussion board.

I just tried it for the hell of it and I see his point. The Greater Toronto Area transit section is accessible to visitors while the Ottawa and Waterloo regions are not, which lacks consistency. They should be either all accessible or non accessible.

I will follow up after I have discussed this matter with the other administrators.

Open all areas for visitors to read, while keeping that registered members are the only ones that can post. You will not lose any users, but may just gain some after they visit and read what is here.

Although I don't access the Waterloo section often I have been meaning to post about this regarding the Ottawa forum so I might as well just add my support here. I think opening up the forums will allow more people to read and get interested, gaining more users and improving discussion. Users won't register if they don't know what they are getting out of it.

Relax.... All the admins have lives outside of the board in the real world.

Quite frankly I like the board the way it is. All the negative posts in the Waterloo Region can stay under wraps. :rolleyes:

I am quite relaxed, but here I was thinking that moderating these boards was a full time job that pays well. Doh!

Your experience on this area of the board matters very little until you start posting here. Consistency is not much to ask for and some of the above posters share the same thought. Relax, it is just a setting of the board and will not flip the board upside down.

I read everything on this board and have posted lots in almost every section over the years... Trust me when i say that there is lots of trash posted in your section of the board compared to others.

And I think one of the reasons is that there's fewer people who see these forums, and thus to rebuke comments that aren't constructive.

Count me in favour of opening up this subforum.

If these ones open up, what about the other sub-forums like Western Canada for example? I can't see the Alberta ones opening up due to issues from a certain transit agency, but Manitobas is pretty open.

If these ones open up, what about the other sub-forums like Western Canada for example? I can't see the Alberta ones opening up due to issues from a certain transit agency, but Manitobas is pretty open.

Then why are all sections not closed until you create an account? Why should Toronto be open to the public and Waterloo not?

I should've wrote that better... I see Manitobas section friendly to open, but from hearing some of the stories from the Calgary guys, Calgary Transit might not like what they see if that section got opened up... or Fort McMurray. All of Western Canada is "protected" unless you're logged in.

No idea about Toronto though, I'm rarely in that section. Too much to read :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any update at all on this, anything. Hello? Do these discussion boards have any administrators? Sad, really, if they are not able to respond to a simple request such as this. <_<

We are deciding but it is truthfully not a priority. Logging in takes all of ten seconds, I fail to see the complaint.

I don't like to reply to flippant posts but if you must know, I am recovering from an osteochrondral fracture and a torn patella. My recovery and learning to walk and drive again are a greater priority to me than anything else and that includes my relatively limited functions on this board. I regret that you are unsatisfied with the speed of our responses but let me assure you that the entire admin team has full-time jobs and cannot nurse-feed requests such as this on a real-time basis. I think it is more sad for you to push the matter further as the board is not broken. Keep in mind that there will be little inclination for us to do anything if you continue to address your request in this manner.

So once a decision is made, everyone will be made aware of in this thread. Thank you for your interest in making this board a better place.

We are deciding but it is truthfully not a priority. Logging in takes all of ten seconds, I fail to see the complaint.

I don't like to reply to flippant posts but if you must know, I am recovering from an osteochrondral fracture and a torn patella. My recovery and learning to walk and drive again are a greater priority to me than anything else and that includes my relatively limited functions on this board. I regret that you are unsatisfied with the speed of our responses but let me assure you that the entire admin team has full-time jobs and cannot nurse-feed requests such as this on a real-time basis. I think it is more sad for you to push the matter further as the board is not broken. Keep in mind that there will be little inclination for us to do anything if you continue to address your request in this manner.

So once a decision is made, everyone will be made aware of in this thread. Thank you for your interest in making this board a better place.

Plus I've seen in some of the other threads, that drivers and anybody else who divulges information about their own transit systems, usually gets reprimanded by their bosses (Ottawa, Calgary, Toronto). Wouldn't it also technically be a safety measure, to keep the board a viable place to talk about our transit systems and buses? Or in some cases, being able to post pics or videos of our systems.

I'm sorry to hear about that though... I hope you get better soon.

As for this thread, I've got to admit though, the rapid access of the Internet, along with us newer fans being heavy users of social media and fancy smartphones, have forgotten that older, forum-type sites don't have automatic newsfeeds or replies. I kinda went through the same thing when I joined this site, and kind of still "bump" threads in my home section all the time, mostly with observations pics or ideas, although not as rapidly as I once used to do. I'm on SkyscraperPage as well (history/construction/retail/development nerd), the issue there is actually kind of bad. But anywhom, maybe we should keep certain parts of the site as log-in only. S.S.P has had issues with media in the past, snooping in our threads and then using them against people or groups. I'd hate to see some guys from here get fired for posting about D40LFs, or route keys, sign-ups, transit talks, information that the public doesnt know much, etc etc. Or for us fans to be scrutinized by some journalists fresh out of University... the CBC keeps using a "Transit Tom" identity when reporting on Winnipeg Transit-related things, and since I'm guessing they got the information from SSP instead of CPTDB, it annoys me when they try to assume facts from posts on the internet.

I fail to see the complaint.

Re-read the first page of this topic.

My recovery and learning to walk and drive again are a greater priority to me than anything else and that includes my relatively limited functions on this board.

Sorry to hear that and I hope you get well soon. However, there are other administrators on this message board that could have provided us with an update.

I regret that you are unsatisfied with the speed of our responses but let me assure you that the entire admin team has full-time jobs and cannot nurse-feed requests such as this on a real-time basis.

The request for review was made on July 2. One administrator replied on July 4 with: "I will follow up after I have discussed this matter with the other administrators." There has not been a reply from an administrator since then. Hardly nurse-feeding, but if you prefer to insult the community here, go ahead, I am sure most will appreciate it.

I think it is more sad for you to push the matter further as the board is not broken. Keep in mind that there will be little inclination for us to do anything if you continue to address your request in this manner.

Let us all then stay quiet and not dare to ask the administrators to improve the message boards because if and when we do this is the kind of reply we will get, if we even get a reply. Keep in mind that if you do not care about your message boards, other users may care much less and leave. These days I could create and set up a message board in less than half an hour and invite all the users here. I think it is very sad for your to give such a reply.

Thank you for your interest in making this board a better place.

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that if you do not care about your message boards, other users may care much less and leave. These days I could create and set up a message board in less than half an hour and invite all the users here.

well, there's the door.

Don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out.