Sign in to follow this  
SMS

TAGA 6000 in Quebec

An Orion I is being used as a Trace Atmospheric Gas Analyzer (TAGA) unit for the Ministère du Dévéloppement durable, Environnement, Parcs et Faune (MDDEFP) Québec. One such TAGA 6000 has been recently sighted by stm_5307N and myself on Autoroute 440.

For more information about the TAGA 6000 unit, I found this PDF in English courtesy of the Ontario Ministry of the Environment: http://www.google.ca...h-dbfKWLDZVAcsA

The TAGA 6000 page on the MDDEFP website (French only): http://www.ceaeq.gou...n/taga_6000.htm

According to busfan0947, this is a 30 ft unit built in the 1980s. I could not find a thread in the Quebec section appropriate for this vehicle so here it is.

I spotted this vehicule a couple years ago (2009) at the Quebec City car free day . I don't have a pic of the bus on the computer (why, that's a mistery) but i do have a picture of the VIN plate (that was already in a bad shape, the VIN cannot be read)

nh10.jpg

Looks like it!

It moves around alot so it is very difficult to pinpoint. I expect it to be working very hard this week as we have had smog advisories earlier.

About those photos submitted here from this bus in the Ontario livery. I was pretty confident that this is the same bus we do have here now in Quebec, as I suspected that it was bought by the province of Quebec some years ago. Adding to that now is this photo posted by eclair14 from the VIN plate which shows a sticker from Ontario Hydro just under the plate itself...

About those photos submitted here from this bus in the Ontario livery. I was pretty confident that this is the same bus we do have here now in Quebec, as I suspected that it was bought by the province of Quebec some years ago. Adding to that now is this photo posted by eclair14 from the VIN plate which shows a sticker from Ontario Hydro just under the plate itself...

I am not 100% positive that this is the same bus. The reason is that I just saw (tonight) a 30' Orion (no centre door) with similar looking equipment on it at an auction site just north of Freelton, ON which is north of Hamilton on highway # 6. This is the same auction site that has had other buses over the years. The one at the auction site in Freelton really looks like the one in the photos above. Sorry, I did not have my camera with me so I cannot post any photos.

6 of these TAGA 6000 were built.

Ontario Government had two, named Pioneer (bought in 1987) and Explorer (bought in 1991).

The one on the pictures shown by A. Aikman is not the same version as the one shown on the MDDEFP website ; it has a rear side window on the driver side, which one of Ontario's two and the MDDEP one don't have. Ministère de l'Environnement du Québec bought the TAGA 6000 in the early 90's, although I cannot confirm the date. They procured it after having borrowed Pioneer during the toxic waste fire of Saint-Basile-Le-Grand in 1988.

While browsing through MDDELCC stuff to show my students, I stumbled upon the TAGA 6000 unit in service corner Saint-Hubert and Émile-Journault in Montréal in 2016. Surprised to even see it still on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ec02Ko9lI&t=5m8s

TW trapped people actually dying in an explosion and people unable to save them losing their mind about it

14 hours ago, webfil said:

While browsing through MDDELCC stuff to show my students, I stumbled upon the TAGA 6000 unit in service corner Saint-Hubert and Émile-Journault in Montréal in 2016. Surprised to even see it still on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ec02Ko9lI&t=5m8s

TW trapped people actually dying in an explosion and people unable to save them losing their mind about it

Some of that footage should be scrubbed from the video, there is a way to report on an incident without showing everything that was shown there. Event the news outlets didn't film as much as this guy did. I guess it is more of a sensitive issue for me, I worked with the guy who died in that accident. I reported the video to youtube, so anyone who wants to see the video of TAGA 6000, better save it.

RIP Gilbert!

10 hours ago, MTL66 said:

Some of that footage should be scrubbed from the video, there is a way to report on an incident without showing everything that was shown there. Event the news outlets didn't film as much as this guy did. I guess it is more of a sensitive issue for me, I worked with the guy who died in that accident. I reported the video to youtube, so anyone who wants to see the video of TAGA 6000, better save it.

RIP Gilbert!

Deeply, wholeheartedly sorry for your loss.

The trigger warning and time pinpoint were there to protect viewers from potential trauma and show only what pertains to this board. For the record, most news report (at least TVA, RadCan and CTV) did show the first minutes of that exact clip at the time, highlighting the courageous and heroic manners of the failed rescuer.

• Sad 1