Akron Metro RTA

Straypuft

• 1 month later...

Coach 1111(or 1114)(DASH Gillig) Has been involved in a small collision with another bus, no major damage, the passenger side panel behind the rear wheel was torn away but the driver told me nothing else was damaged, will need a new panel or metal working to flatten the panel back into shape.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Video of new livery put out by Metro., not sure if this Hybrid is a renumbered 5000 series or brand new.

edit: I take back the renumbered thing, it appears to be brand new due to the window panels.

edit 2: Akron has started the process to purchase 2 full electric buses in a previous board meeting. But I am unsure if the bus in the below video is one of them as it may be too soon in build time unless Gillig had some sitting on a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 3:53 PM, Straypuft said:

My shot from today of the new CNG buses, I guess the main difference between these and the other recent CNG buses is the shortened tank bump up top.

20210224_143516 (Large).jpg

This redesign looks good! Does anyone know if this now the standard?

IMO, Orion was the only manufacturer that got the CNG tank design right. The other manufacturers always had a tank that was not proportional to the bus.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got some up close time with a new Metro bus this afternoon:

51542246902_ce31e74605_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Gillig Bus by Raymond W, on Flickr

51543967525_0e2ac98340_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Gillig Bus by Raymond W, on Flickr

51543767044_65de89ecef_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Gillig Bus by Raymond W, on Flickr

51543767159_3e83d0f934_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Gillig Bus by Raymond W, on Flickr

51543967865_50def0752c_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Gillig Bus by Raymond W, on Flickr

51543038241_b545a6ca97_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Gillig Bus by Raymond W, on Flickr

51543038326_d4131cd352_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Gillig Bus by Raymond W, on Flickr

EDIT:

Just saw a new bus being towed yesterday. This does not bode well it seems..

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Akron Metro Transit Police has new cars:

51614234067_8984275df1_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Transit Police Chevrolet Tahoe by Raymond W, on Flickr

51639358450_f3ca56d3f1_c.jpgAkron Metro RTA Transit Police Chevrolet Tahoe by Raymond W, on Flickr

I have recently learned that Transit Police is an organization of the transit system and has its own sworn in officers and a police chief. I always thought it was just extra duty city officers and sheriff deputies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Youngstowns Western Reserve Transit Authority has just started service between Youngstown and Akron on WRTA's 81 route. Looks like the running stock will mostly be on shuttle buses. Runs twice a day from Federal Station Monday to Friday, 1 hour each way, no in between stops.

Bonus, WRTA offering free fares systemwide until December 31.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The 2 current electric buses are numbered 7000 and 7001, 2 more on order for later this year or next year. These are plug in buses, no overhead of undercarriage charging apparatus, currently Metro has charging capacity or will have for 4 buses charging at a time, Metro is aiming for an environmental-friendly way of charging by use of solar panels on the bus barn.

The first 2 buses are now in service but arent confined to certain routes, as in will be used on most if not all routes. There is some local citizen gearhead speculation that they will have trouble on some of the larger hills come snow season. 2 streets I can think of where they might not work out if true, N Howard(34, 10) and S Arlington.(2)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are drivers being lazy or are buses really struggling to go up the N Howard St hill, they also get into the inner lane more than halfway up the hill which Im sure is blocking traffic behind the bus. Im an out of shape heavy guy but Im sure I can ride my ebike up the hill faster than these buses..(still gotta pedal to have some speed(bikes max speed is 25mph)

On 6/29/2022 at 1:44 AM, Straypuft said:

Are drivers being lazy or are buses really struggling to go up the N Howard St hill, they also get into the inner lane more than halfway up the hill which Im sure is blocking traffic behind the bus. Im an out of shape heavy guy but Im sure I can ride my ebike up the hill faster than these buses..(still gotta pedal to have some speed(bikes max speed is 25mph)

I'm not familiar with Akron, but I can speak to a couple of things generally from a bus operator's perspective:

Some buses are slower than others, even from the same model and series.

During the hot weather season, the air conditioning draws power from the engine, slowing the bus's speed down somewhat.

Some schedules are padded with extra time, or traffic conditions may result in the bus running ahead of schedule, so often it does not make sense to drive the route as fast as possible because then you will have to wait out extra time at a stop further down the line.

As far as changing lanes - few other motorists are willing to extend any courtesy to a bus, so we have to find the safest opportunity to make our lane change, even if it 'sooner' than it may appear to be from someone else's perspective. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Participated in a photo contest run by Metro, I submitted a few photos and I won runner up prizes for 4 of my photos, in return, Metro sent me 4-31 day bus passes, I didnt even know there would be prizes lol.

These passes will come in useful this winter when I cant ride my ebike due to cold weather and the fact that I need new tires on that thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Straypuft said:

Participated in a photo contest run by Metro, I submitted a few photos and I won runner up prizes for 4 of my photos, in return, Metro sent me 4-31 day bus passes, I didnt even know there would be prizes lol.

These passes will come in useful this winter when I cant ride my ebike due to cold weather and the fact that I need new tires on that thing.

Love it! Enjoy the prizes and the transit service!

It's so refreshing when transit systems engage with customers/community members in fun, friendly, somewhat geeky ways.

There's so much cold bureaucracy around transit. Lots of systems live in fear that they'll lose funding and strike a triennial finding if they're ever caught smiling or laughing. So I always gotta give props to systems that aren't afraid to be human.

On my few encounters with it, I've actually been really impressed with METRO RTA. Above-average service levels, friendly people and super-clean buses. Too bad they're (almost) all Gilligs. While riding an XN60 New Flyer on West Market St, I could at least pretend it's a good fleet...

Oh, and can you share the runner-up photos? 😄