Bolt Bus

airwolf

I see... my apologies. I assumed it was a new unit since it doesn't appear in the wiki... but I guess I should have looked first.

As a wiki editor, I can correct this. Before I do though, I should check to see where the 2013 series ends after 0886. Is it 0886-0899? Will more be following in another series?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone know of an H3-45 #6669 that has joined the Bolt fleet? Photo is from a facebook group. Credit to original owner. Taken on the Portland-Seattle run according to the poster.

attachicon.gif11539090_10154044267654348_7966243843385178854_o.jpg

There is a batch of H3-45s that came from the Coach America bankruptcy. Had been operating Seattle-Vancouver Greyhound runs, mostly painted white.

Apparently they need more Bolt coaches, so....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of an H3-45 #6669 that has joined the Bolt fleet? Photo is from a facebook group. Credit to original owner. Taken on the Portland-Seattle run according to the poster.

11539090_10154044267654348_7966243843385178854_o.jpg

6669 is indeed one of the Prevost H345's from coach America that has been running out of Seattle for GLI. All five have been transfered to Bolt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I may have spoken too soon when I said all five H3-45s operating between Seattle and Vancouver have been transferred to bolt. I can confirm 6667, 6669, and 6670 are definitely now Bolt buses. However, I haven't seen 6668 in a while and I saw 6666 last week in Seattle and still a GLI white bus. I was told that they were all being transferred but that now seems in doubt, at least in regards to 6666.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
17 hours ago, 9924 said:

One of their X3-45s was sitting on the side of SB Hwy 99 just before King George tonight broken down.  3rd one I've seen broken down there in as many months.

For better or worse the X3-45 is one of the most problem plagued buses I have ever encountered. A lot of those issues are electrical, emissions and design and build quality related. Even with top notch maintenance they have trouble staying on the road. I can only imagine what Greyhound’s X3’s are like with subpar Maintanance. 

The H3-45 doesn’t seem to share nearly as many problems. I have no idea why that is. 

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, ns8401 said:

For better or worse the X3-45 is one of the most problem plagued buses I have ever encountered. A lot of those issues are electrical, emissions and design and build quality related. Even with top notch maintenance they have trouble staying on the road. I can only imagine what Greyhound’s X3’s are like with subpar Maintanance. 

The H3-45 doesn’t seem to share nearly as many problems. I have no idea why that is. 

I found the X3-45's from Bolt and Greyhound were by far the worst condition I've ever seen (worse than the First Canada Oil Sands X3's I worked on). It honestly depended where they come from. I found any buses I worked on from out of California was in better condition than buses from the Seattle garage. Bolt bus in Portland doesn't have much of a garage, and everything mostly would be kicked down to Seattle for repair. Before I got laid off, I heard Bolt had finally had a mechanic in Portland. But all he had was a shipping container and tent in a parking lot where Bolt parked.

As for the H3-45's from bolt, #6670 was probably the only decent H3-45. #6667 was the worst. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, translink fan said:

I heard Bolt had finally had a mechanic in Portland. But all he had was a shipping container and tent in a parking lot where Bolt parked.

One of the sites I worked at up north,  we had one on duty mechanic for almost 150 buses (eventually got two), no shop, no tent,  a shipping container for tools and parts and you work outside all day at -40 in blowing snow.  Major work and inspections were done at a proper facility at another site, but fixing the bus on the spot and getting it to the shop (70kms away) was all on our on-site mechanic.  Yet he always had a positive attitude.

Anyway, looks like the Bolt bus was finally taken off the highway yesterday.

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 2:05 AM, translink fan said:

I found the X3-45's from Bolt and Greyhound were by far the worst condition I've ever seen (worse than the First Canada Oil Sands X3's I worked on). It honestly depended where they come from. I found any buses I worked on from out of California was in better condition than buses from the Seattle garage. Bolt bus in Portland doesn't have much of a garage, and everything mostly would be kicked down to Seattle for repair. Before I got laid off, I heard Bolt had finally had a mechanic in Portland. But all he had was a shipping container and tent in a parking lot where Bolt parked.

As for the H3-45's from bolt, #6670 was probably the only decent H3-45. #6667 was the worst. 

They are/were like that because they were not new as you know.  They lived a very difficult life in the Northeast running 6-7 days a week, 500-700 miles a day before going out west.  Coupled that with old age and the engine/transmission issues from that year model and you have the perfect storm.