Cambridge aBRT

KCGR

There seems to be a lot of publicity for the Kitchener-Waterloo LRT project, but none for Cambridge's aBRT project. My questions about the aBRT project:

What is the status of the project?

Is it still on schedule for a 2014 launch?

Short answer: Yes.

There were public consultation centres this past week regarding the station design, which still have to be finalized. Once that's done, construction/lane paintings should begin.

Do there exist any maps of the proposed service?

Look at the rapid transit map itself. It's included there.

Will the aBRT service replace the Fairview Park to Ainslie Street terminal part of route 200?

Not sure, but I won't be surprised if it does. It's still too early to tell.

I assume it will be operated by Grand River Transit but branded as part of the Ion system. Is this right?

Yes.

Essentially it will be some modifications to the current 200 iXpress between Fairview Park Mall and Ainslie Street Terminal: altered alignment, additional stops, different stop design and features, and a couple of bus-only shoulders and queue-jump lanes. The latest I've seen is that it's on track for 2014 or early 2015.

While the LRT will be built and operated (for an initial term) by one of the private consortia bidding on the RFP, the aBRT will be entirely done by the Region (and operated by Grand River Transit). That includes construction of the stops.

I'm not sure what the plan is for branding of vehicles and stops in the interim, though I suppose it will be branded ION on the launch in 2014/2015.

Perhaps the aBRT vehicles (Ion-branded 2014 New Flyer Xcelsior busses) will be used on the 200 Fairview Park - Conestoga Mall route? Unlikely, but with GRT organizing this, you never know.

I'm not sure why that's unlikely, nor why it would necessarily be a bad thing. But at any rate, I don't think branding and roll-out of aBRT has been finalized.

• 4 months later...

... the aBRT will be entirely done by the Region (and operated by Grand River Transit). That includes construction of the stops.

This is actually a pretty terrifying thought. I mean, look what these people did with the iXpress.

I can already see it: an ION-branded route consisting of ARC-branded buses and TRIO-branded shelters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone know of any updates on Cambridge's Ion aBRT service? It is not included in the 2014 service changes (http://www.grt.ca/en...ice-Changes.asp), so most likely will not start until winter 2015 at the earliest.

September 2, 2014

200 iXpress – This route will be modified to travel on Hespeler Road between Dunbar Road and Highway 401. Service will be removed from Dunbar Road and Conestoga Blvd. New stops will be added at Sportsworld station, Hespeler Rd. and Dundas (the Delta) and Can-Amera Parkway and Hespeler Rd. The stop at SmartCentres will be shifted to Hespeler Road at Pinebush Road/Eagle Street, and the stop at Cambridge Centre will be shifted to the east side of Hespeler Road at a new terminal location. Stops will be improved with new shelters, amenities, and passenger information displays.

200 iXpress is Cambridge's Ion aBRT?! I thought it was going to be branded as Ion together with Kitchener-Waterloo's LRT. If true, weird.

The aBRT will begin operating in early 2015. GRT is realigning the iXpress in September to coincide with the new school/work year and set travel patterns for the aBRT right then and there.

GRT Services Effective 2015:

ION (Fairview Park - Ainslie St. Terminal)

200 Gold iXpress (Fairview Park - Conestoga Mall)

201-203 Green iXpress

110, 111, 116 Conestoga College Express

1-33 Kitchener Conventional

51-71 Cambridge Conventional

72, 76 BusPlus

*headdesk*

• 2 weeks later...

The aBRT will begin operating in early 2015. GRT is realigning the iXpress in September to coincide with the new school/work year and set travel patterns for the aBRT right then and there.

GRT Services Effective 2015:

ION (Fairview Park - Ainslie St. Terminal)

200 Gold iXpress (Fairview Park - Conestoga Mall)

201-203 Green iXpress

110, 111, 116 Conestoga College Express

1-33 Kitchener Conventional

51-71 Cambridge Conventional

72, 76 BusPlus

*headdesk*

Where did you see this ??

Nowhere. He is making assumptions, I guess. An exact date for the start of Cambridge's Ion aBRT service has not been released. It was always some time in 2014 or 2015. Also what will happen to route 200 as a result of Ion aBRT is not known. All we know is the published service updates for fall 2014.

My goodness, you really don't think they're going to continue to run the 200 down the same path as ION, do you?

That logic.

I am pretty sure that there will not be such a thing for the operation of aBRT. The actual service will be handled by GRT. Construction, whatever is needed, is another matter.

Yeah, I'm referring to construction of stops and queue-jumps. Operation will be by the Region / GRT, as you say.