Vehicle Production Group shut down

Chris W

So go's couple will be orphans.

Oh well. Looks like they cobbled together off the shelf components anyway.

I always thought the resemblance to the Honda element ( I own one) was uncanny.

Evidently they can be made accessible fairly easily as well. Pity. :(

I'm surprised this failed. It got high grades from everybody, including Jay Leno, who featured it on his Jay's Garage segment. Apparently AM General wants to buy VPG, but it would be a conflict of interest if they did.

Now Bus_Medic, do you know how many GO Transit has?

That's a shame, I was optimistic that they would do well in the market with a more purpose-built vehicle as compared to something like a modified Grand Caravan. That being said, their market was rather limited if they're only producing small paratransit vehicles, so it's unfortunately not too surprising to see them go under rather quickly.

I think GO has 3 units, in the 13-72xx numbering series (which is usually reserved for support vehicles). There's also two Grand Caravans accompanying the MV-1 fleet.

Reading further into this, apparently there were 2300 MV-1s back ordered, which was rumoured to include some for GO Transit and Burlington Transit among others. The federal loan was actually taken away due to the Fisker scandal, in which Fisker (makers of the Karma) couldn't pay back the loan and were in the red. VPG actually wasn't in the red, unlike Fisker or Coda (two Electric car makers). The Department Of Energy loaned VPG $50 million to produce these MV-1s, then VPG recieved $400 million from outside sources, like Ford and Roush Performance.

I find it interesting that they compared the MV-1 to the failures of Fisker and Coda. Unlike them, there is still some interest in buying the assets to the MV-1.

Reading further into this, apparently there were 2300 MV-1s back ordered, which was rumoured to include some for GO Transit and Burlington Transit among others. The federal loan was actually taken away due to the Fisker scandal, in which Fisker (makers of the Karma) couldn't pay back the loan and were in the red. VPG actually wasn't in the red, unlike Fisker or Coda (two Electric car makers). The Department Of Energy loaned VPG $50 million to produce these MV-1s, then VPG recieved $400 million from outside sources, like Ford and Roush Performance.

I find it interesting that they compared the MV-1 to the failures of Fisker and Coda. Unlike them, there is still some interest in buying the assets to the MV-1.

If the product is useful and as unique as it seemed to be, I hope someone buys the assets and re-starts production.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I rode in one of these with West-Way Taxi in Ottawa last night. I was going to walk but one pulled in just as I got there so I took the $5 ride home to try it.

Inside it seems like a great cab, with or without a wheelchair passenger. Lots of space for luggage, and although it only seats 4 (3 across and a jump seat behind the driver) it would be easy to add another jump seat or even two.

I'm glad I got to ride in one and I'm glad they're not dead.

I rode in one of these with West-Way Taxi in Ottawa last night. I was going to walk but one pulled in just as I got there so I took the $5 ride home to try it.

Inside it seems like a great cab, with or without a wheelchair passenger. Lots of space for luggage, and although it only seats 4 (3 across and a jump seat behind the driver) it would be easy to add another jump seat or even two.

I'm glad I got to ride in one and I'm glad they're not dead.

Can an admin please change the name of this thread to Vehicle Production Group discussion? I ask this since VPG has in fact reopened its doors. I can give updates as MV-1 Canada actually follows me on Twitter. I can inquire as to which properties will be receiving MV-1s.