General Route Discussion and History

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I've talked about the 46 before, in that starting this year it has become completely overrun with school kids, to the point that overloads and leaving people at stops is a constant occurrence. This

Was digging through old posts in a Facebook group and found some pics of a June 1984 system map. Figured I'd share these as full system maps from the pre-NE/NW LRT periods are hard to come by nowadays

In 1991, Calgary Transit introduced Route 501 from Anderson station to Sikome Lake in Fish Creek Park. This route used a very early form of bike racks, on the back of the bus according to the drawing.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Ooh, this is different … a directional indicator on a bus destination sign! I don’t think I’ve seen this before. 

EA5A2230-4ED3-49A7-A712-76563F3EB527.jpeg

Nah that sign has had some problems from what I’ve seen lately, probably still displaying S because it was stuck from what it was displaying not long before (3 Sandstone).

• Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, R. Meu said:

Nah that sign has had some problems from what I’ve seen lately, probably still displaying S because it was stuck from what it was displaying not long before (3 Sandstone).

Oh! Well I feel silly now, haha. 
How convenient that 3S Heritage actually makes sense! 😂

On 12/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, downbeat said:

No surprise here … but all express routes are temporarily suspended from tomorrow until at least January 10.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/express-routes-suspended

So I am seeing some examples of extreme confusion from riders on Twitter about what express routes are. Some of them thought Transit was talking about MAX and BRTs. I guess that's just a reminder about the pitfalls of assuming that riders have innate knowledge about how the system works …

• Haha 2
18 hours ago, downbeat said:

So I am seeing some examples of extreme confusion from riders on Twitter about what express routes are. Some of them thought Transit was talking about MAX and BRTs. I guess that's just a reminder about the pitfalls of assuming that riders have innate knowledge about how the system works …

Adding a quick note on the page would go a long way to minimize confusion despite there being an explicit list of what's affected.

For all intents and purposes, the BRT and MAX routes are technically express buses.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

Adding a quick note on the page would go a long way to minimize confusion despite there being an explicit list of what's affected.

For all intents and purposes, the BRT and MAX routes are technically express buses.

I would guess a fair number of people saw the tweet from transit but didn't bother to go to the link to see the list, so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 1/11/2021 at 2:29 PM, TechSpotlight said:

The 305 now joins the list of temporarily suspended routes.  Just like the express routes, as of right now they will be suspended until January 24th, 2021.

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I believe I was just passed by a 305 going westbound on 6th Avenue …

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I believe I was just passed by a 305 going westbound on 6th Avenue …

You probably were. There have been the odd express runs still running. At one point the 17:30 64 from downtown was running daily still...not sure if it's still doing that.

1 hour ago, Blake M said:

You probably were. There have been the odd express runs still running. At one point the 17:30 64 from downtown was running daily still...not sure if it's still doing that.

I didn’t think to check the schedule on the Transit website earlier … and sure enough, it shows two WB and two EB departures this afternoon. (The times for the cancelled trips are struck-through.)

7595F79E-3F9E-420A-B1A2-E230BF76FD7D.jpeg

• Like 1
On 1/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, R. Meu said:

Might as well just say suspended until further notice given how its been the 2nd time the suspensions have been extended.

As long as they're throwing extra service onto the feeders...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 3:34 PM, downbeat said:

Express routes and Bowness BRT are now suspended until March 12.

I believe that would take us to the end of the current schedule.

To follow up, affected routes are no longer visible in Transit's online schedules starting the week of Feb. 8.

EDIT: Also cancelled are the rush-hour service enhancements on Route 3 (a.m. southbound, p.m. northbound) — although I believe this is another case of the schedule catching up with real-life practices.

Before the "inactive routes" portion of the app decided to go haywire on me, I noticed that under route 305 there was a notice that said "service cancelled until further notice" whereas the express routes still said until March 12. I suppose this means we may not see the 305 next signup either?

Seeing how express routes and BRT Bowness have been removed from Calgary Transit’s schedule as of this weekend, you won’t be seeing them under “inactive routes” or anywhere else in the Transit/Calgary Transit apps. Can’t even search for those routes anymore. 

• Like 1
On 07/02/2021 at 10:04 AM, downbeat said:

Seeing how express routes and BRT Bowness have been removed from Calgary Transit’s schedule as of this weekend, you won’t be seeing them under “inactive routes” or anywhere else in the Transit/Calgary Transit apps. Can’t even search for those routes anymore. 

Question though: now Bowness might have some spare room & capacity if its that bad, by throwing on artics on Route 1 if needed, but for the North & SE - will there be coming boosts in feeder frequencies for AM & PM then? Or dare I suggest (like some other posts before) a massive rethink on North and SE Calgary transit service? Now wouldn't be a bad time to redraw the bus routes... especially with minimal disruptions.

5 hours ago, armorand said:

Question though: now Bowness might have some spare room & capacity if its that bad, by throwing on artics on Route 1 if needed, but for the North & SE - will there be coming boosts in feeder frequencies for AM & PM then? Or dare I suggest (like some other posts before) a massive rethink on North and SE Calgary transit service? Now wouldn't be a bad time to redraw the bus routes... especially with minimal disruptions.

As far as I know, there will be a decrease in service for next signup.    From what I've heard, there will be more CS work (especially during the mid-day and evening periods).  However, I doubt there will be many frequency decreases as for many routes it is pretty atrocious as is for weekday service.