General Route Discussion and History

5 hours ago, armorand said:

Question though: now Bowness might have some spare room & capacity if its that bad, by throwing on artics on Route 1 if needed, but for the North & SE - will there be coming boosts in feeder frequencies for AM & PM then? Or dare I suggest (like some other posts before) a massive rethink on North and SE Calgary transit service? Now wouldn't be a bad time to redraw the bus routes... especially with minimal disruptions.

I can't remember which of the local broadcasters this was on … but I do remember someone important from Transit (the director, probably?) saying they'll be studying new travel patterns that emerge from the pandemic and adjust accordingly.

6 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

As far as I know, there will be a decrease in service for next signup.    From what I've heard, there will be more CS work (especially during the mid-day and evening periods).  However, I doubt there will be many frequency decreases as for many routes it is pretty atrocious as is for weekday service.

I wonder if the temporary decreases (express routes, Bowness BRT) will be made permanent. That could account for a whole bunch of service hours being reduced on paper to match the current reality.

The rest of the schedules are pretty well-matched for where/when people are going, from the parts for the system I've been able to see anyway.

There's a reason why they've been beefing up service on the 23 and the 43, for example. (On the 43 specifically, weekday service is really good — buses coming every 15 minutes or better from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. except for a short period of time on either side of noon.)

The 17 Ave. S.E. transitway is well patronized every time I've had the chance to use it. The west leg of Route 1 occasionally has an interesting "rush hour" period between 11 and 2 p.m. in both directions.

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

I wonder if the temporary decreases (express routes, Bowness BRT) will be made permanent. That could account for a whole bunch of service hours being reduced on paper to match the current reality.

For routes such as the 305, I wouldn't be too surprised.  The ridership from what I seen recently has been mostly travelling to/from the portion of the route also served by the 1, and by the time it hits COP, the bus is dead empty.  The 305 has had so many service reductions in the past couple of years that in some cases, it might be easier, or faster to take the 1. 

In terms of the expresses, I feel as if the damage has been done with some of them, such as the 110.  Prior to the pandemic, the 110 had two trips (albeit in the morning only) but still had some ridership.  When the pandemic hit, the ridership tanked to close to zero, even with this one trip.  Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised, along with the 305, if they permanently can it for good.  Most of the other expresses prior to the cancellations late last year had from below average, to average ridership on some of the later trips, with good ridership on some of the earlier trips from what I observed.

• 2 weeks later...

I know CT is in a cost-cutting mode... but considering latest sprawl and developments in the deep SW, is there any possibiliry that they will reroute the 167/168 through the new suburbs just south of Silverado (attached a screenshot of the area in question) and give it mid-day service to cover the new areas ahead of future LRT expansion, while also allowing the 78/178 to fully absorb the rest of Walden and Chapparal & salvaging/absorbing ridership from the two reroutes? Or maybe some of that "on-demand" DART service instead? 

Screenshot_20210227-051257_Maps.jpg

2 hours ago, armorand said:

I know CT is in a cost-cutting mode... but considering latest sprawl and developments in the deep SW, is there any possibiliry that they will reroute the 167/168 through the new suburbs just south of Silverado (attached a screenshot of the area in question) and give it mid-day service to cover the new areas ahead of future LRT expansion, while also allowing the 78/178 to fully absorb the rest of Walden and Chapparal & salvaging/absorbing ridership from the two reroutes? Or maybe some of that "on-demand" DART service instead? 

Screenshot_20210227-051257_Maps.jpg

Would probably extend the 402 versus the 167/168, plus, the road network doesn't yet look to be at a capacity to have a through bus service yet

• Like 1

Interesting to see that the SB routes at Whitehorn will be moved to the currently empty bus loop. The loop is much more user friendly than the SB bus stop so this'll definitely make for a more pleasant user experience.

3 hours ago, Nick B said:

Interesting to see that the SB routes at Whitehorn will be moved to the currently empty bus loop. The loop is much more user friendly than the SB bus stop so this'll definitely make for a more pleasant user experience.

It's also considerably safer - that side of Whitehorn isn't exactly safe outside of daytime hours, while the bus loop is well-lit, monitored by CCTV, closer to employment nearby as well if anyones walking to work, and uses existing infrastructure instead of letting it go idle & grow weeds (such as the old Odgen loop for example) either.

The page is back online for me too — with many more services adjustments visible.

Lots of peak-hour trip cancellations (but I get the impression some of listed service reductions have already happened).

Route 305 remains off the schedule.

Expresses and the 305 have officially been removed from the upcoming signup. They were originally slated to return March 15 and have been pushed back to atleast the summer signup (June 28)

10 hours ago, downbeat said:

Lots of peak-hour trip cancellations (but I get the impression some of listed service reductions have already happened)

Most, if not all, of the trip cancellations “unofficially” took effect mid February, and not reflected on the schedule. They have been “officially” cancelled for the March Signup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:29 PM, Nick B said:

There is now an official explanation in the service change notice for moving those stops: "This will help clear some congestion on 36 St."

Aside from Whitehorn, the only “major” change this signup is the Max Yellow. Currently, it is a 2 hour round trip with a significant amount of layover time at each end and alot of time between time points. They have made adjustments to cut it down to a 90 minute round trip. I think if/when traffic gets back to normal,  specifically on 14 street/glenmore/mru/core, a 2 hour round trip may be justified again but a 90 minute round trip is beyond do-able!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Aside from Whitehorn, the only “major” change this signup is the Max Yellow. Currently, it is a 2 hour round trip with a significant amount of layover time at each end and alot of time between time points. They have made adjustments to cut it down to a 90 minute round trip. I think if/when traffic gets back to normal,  specifically on 14 street/glenmore/mru/core, a 2 hour round trip may be justified again but a 90 minute round trip is beyond do-able!

I for one am glad. The amount of time I've spent on a weekend Max Yellow sitting at one of the mid route time points is too much to count

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

I for one am glad. The amount of time I've spent on a weekend Max Yellow sitting at one of the mid route time points is too much to count

I am an infrequent MAX Yellow rider but I have also noticed these multiple waits at time points.

Speaking of which … would transit consider revising the length of trips on other routes at this time? For example, westbound Route 1 during (what would have been) peak hours often arrives at 6 Ave x 2 St S.W. as much as 10 minutes early, so it has to just sit there until its appointed departure time. NBD if you're boarding there or points downstream, but if you got on east of there, it's a noticeable wait.

13 hours ago, Blake M said:

Curious - do these mid-route points have timed transfers with other routes? Or is it just like the Downtown 1/3/5 layover point where it literally just sits there for 10 mins at a time? 

1 hour ago, armorand said:

Curious - do these mid-route points have timed transfers with other routes? Or is it just like the Downtown 1/3/5 layover point where it literally just sits there for 10 mins at a time? 

For the most part no, some places have a layover, say 5 minutes, but if the bus is early arriving there it must sit for that time plus the 5 minutes. Sometimes there's just a lot of time built into the schedule

• 3 weeks later...

We were discussing Route 14 earlier in the thread … I notice (thanks to Transit 55) it was using big buses the last two Saturday and community shuttles today and last Sunday.

I also notice Route 8 has been converted to shuttle service on weekends (except for one big bus operating at the moment, on a block that was covered by a shuttle last week).

• Haha 2