General Route Discussion and History

5 hours ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

Actually I got my answer already:

"From Chinook via Glenmore, Crowchild, 50th ave, Richard Rd., Crowchild, University Dr. to the U of C loop.  It was gone in 1983 when the Circle Route was completed.  It was absorbed into the Circle Route."

From "calgarybus"  -  Thank You!

Oh, I just noticed the map I posted doesn't match the text description. I guess the route must have deviated at some point after 1975 …

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, green_line_26 said:

Saw a SB 24 last night reading "Quarry Park", have they renamed the route? 

No, the 24 Quarry Park code exists for the final trips of the night that start at EB Quarry Park BV & 18 ST SE and terminates at Quarry Park Station NB.  24 Ogden and 24 City Centre still exist (as well as the stupid 24E, ROUTE 24) however sometimes drivers manually type in the 24 Quarry Park code instead of the 24 Ogden code.  This occurs with several other routes as well.

For reference: https://transit55.ca/calgary/trip/53034704

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, green_line_26 said:

Saw a SB 24 last night reading "Quarry Park", have they renamed the route? 

The route terminates in quarry park and loops back to city centre via Ogden. I believe that’s been the case since late 2018.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, yvarushin said:

The route terminates in quarry park and loops back to city centre via Ogden. I believe that’s been the case since late 2018.

4 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

No, the 24 Quarry Park code exists for the final trips of the night that start at EB Quarry Park BV & 18 ST SE and terminates at Quarry Park Station NB.  24 Ogden and 24 City Centre still exist (as well as the stupid 24E, ROUTE 24) however sometimes drivers manually type in the 24 Quarry Park code instead of the 24 Ogden code.  This occurs with several other routes as well.

For reference: https://transit55.ca/calgary/trip/53034704

thanks guys!

• Like 2

This is to be taken with the usual grain(s) of salt … but something interesting from Calgary Transit's Twitter account today. 

"Come September service may not look the same as it did before and will depend on demand and ridership."

43 minutes ago, downbeat said:

This is to be taken with the usual grain(s) of salt … but something interesting from Calgary Transit's Twitter account today. 

"Come September service may not look the same as it did before and will depend on demand and ridership."

Things change so fast these days that anything can happen by then. AB just announced schools are most likely going back to normal (official announcement on Aug 1), so all the school routes will most likely be back by then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, downbeat said:

I'm wondering if there is a possibility Transit will take this opportunity to permanently shelve more downtown express routes. They've been slowly disappearing for the last couple of years …

Yeah.. with the exception of route 70(?), all the express routes will be eventually replaced by the Green Line. 

• 1 month later...

Transit website says these changes aren't visible in the apps or in the online schedule tool until September, so they've posted these schedule PDFs in the meantime:

Route 5: http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/route-5-20200727.pdf

Route 32: http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/route-32-eb-20200727.pdf

Route 43: http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/content/PDF/route_43_timetable-20200727.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I found this slide of Calgary Transit #981 beside the Calgary Convention Centre in 1987 on Ebay awhile back. I didn't purchase the slide but did take a screenshot of it. It's displaying Route 27. The current Route 27 serves Barlow-Max Bell Station and Willowglen. Anyone know where the Route 27 served back then? 

Screenshot_20201024-215534_Photos.jpg

On 10/24/2020 at 11:56 PM, Greatcoinz said:

I found this slide of Calgary Transit #981 beside the Calgary Convention Centre in 1987 on Ebay awhile back. I didn't purchase the slide but did take a screenshot of it. It's displaying Route 27. The current Route 27 serves Barlow-Max Bell Station and Willowglen. Anyone know where the Route 27 served back then? 

Screenshot_20201024-215534_Photos.jpg

And the "Go With It!" ad for the then-new loonie on the back. The French equivalent was "Ça Roule!"

• 1 month later...

Looking through Google Earth today, I found some reminants of the old Midvalley Terminal in Midnapore that the 11 used to serve back in the day.  It appears as if it was standing up until the summer of 2005 when it appears the terminal was being removed.  New homes were quickly put on the land soon after.

egwegewggewgew.PNG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Looking through Google Earth today, I found some reminants of the old Midvalley Terminal in Midnapore that the 11 used to serve back in the day.  It appears as if it was standing up until the summer of 2005 when it appears the terminal was being removed.  New homes were quickly put on the land soon after.

egwegewggewgew.PNG

The 138 stops in a similar looking loop at the West end of Citadel where it used to turn around and head back through towards Crowfoot, as the 199.

Now it just stops there for a bit and continues on to Royal Oak and Tuscany Station, rocking rather ponderously around the sloped bend. I wonder how long until that gets removed too?

26 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

The 138 stops in a similar looking loop at the West end of Citadel where it used to turn around and head back through towards Crowfoot, as the 199.

Now it just stops there for a bit and continues on to Royal Oak and Tuscany Station, rocking rather ponderously around the sloped bend. I wonder how long until that gets removed too?

Many such loops have survived,

Deer run, Hamptons, Hawkwood, Ogden

Some that have been out of use since the 80’s are still around like the loop on Edgemont hill and Edgemont dr, just north of John Laurie Blvd 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

egwegewggewgew.PNG

The land that that loop sat on was sold may years ago. There is  two house that now sits on that location.

image0.jpeg

• Sad 1

Following yesterday's announcement for the expected seasonal schedule change, the schedules themselves are now visible on the Calgary Transit website.

I notice the usual skeletal service is operating on Christmas. At a quick glance, bus routes 1, 3, 8, 9, 14, 38, 43, 100, and all BRT/MAX routes are running. The services resembles Sunday hours and frequencies, which is an improvement for some routes over last Christmas, if my memory serves. The CTrain is running with ~15 minute headways during the day and ~30 minute headways early morning (Blue line only)/late evening (both lines).

And no surprise here, but the system is operating a typical weekday schedule on Dec. 31.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...