General Route Discussion and History

7 hours ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

It doesn't have to be MP, does it? They could introduce another MAX route that has service to Chestermere, connecting with MP.

The service has to be enticing and easy to take. There is a reason On It to somerset struggled. Because you had to park to take a bus to a train...at 2 different fares.

Parking and taking 1 bus, at one fare, more or less direct to the core is a more attractive service then having to transfer, especially from 1 bus to another...at potentially premium or seperate fares.

That is one of the things with the Max Teal. An opportunity was missed going into Deerfoot Meadows like the 43 does. However, it needs to be as direct as possible for the residential riders on the east side taking the route, which ultimately you need for it to be successful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2018 at 1:45 AM, downbeat said:

9: Starting Monday, November 19, the following late night trips have been added on weekdays: 12:40 a.m. from Chinook Station to Dalhousie Station; 1:10 a.m. from Chinook Station to Bow Trail at 33 Street S.W.; 12:14 a.m. and 12:45 a.m. from Dalhousie Station to Chinook Station

I’ve just noticed on Transit55 these departures are serviced by shuttle buses!

04ECC1AA-2C8D-42A2-A9DD-2E46637B925F.jpeg

• 1 month later...

It's been a few months since the network changes, we've had a lot of discussion on the MAX routes, but does anyone have any observations from any of the other new routes? Any routes doing better than expected, ones with low ridership, etc?

From the east, some general comments I can make from either using the routes or seeing them drive by on a daily basis:

• 87 seems to be catching on along 17th Ave as people get used to the idea of there being a third bus on the avenue
  • 23 seems relatively popular (I see a lot of connections to/from feeder buses along 52nd St). The north leg seems well used even off-peak. I would imagine the south leg through the industrial areas is a lot less busier outside of commuting hours?
  • 68 doesn't seem to be getting used much the few times i've managed to see one drive by
  • 155 is very empty even during rush hour. I've only ever seen a handful of people on it along 17th Ave. Nowhere near the same amount of people I used to see on the 26 or 57. This was the route that was created as a result of the backlash from the seniors at the complex on 26th Ave SE. I'm not entirely sure this new route is working out for them either.

I'm especially curious how the changes around the FMC turned out considering how vocal people were about changes to the 20. Also the industrial routes with the change to the grid network. 52nd St doesn't really seem to be best environment for transfers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

It's been a few months since the network changes, we've had a lot of discussion on the MAX routes, but does anyone have any observations from any of the other new routes? Any routes doing better than expected, ones with low ridership, etc?

From the east, some general comments I can make from either using the routes or seeing them drive by on a daily basis:

• 87 seems to be catching on along 17th Ave as people get used to the idea of there being a third bus on the avenue
  • 23 seems relatively popular (I see a lot of connections to/from feeder buses along 52nd St). The north leg seems well used even off-peak. I would imagine the south leg through the industrial areas is a lot less busier outside of commuting hours?
  • 68 doesn't seem to be getting used much the few times i've managed to see one drive by
  • 155 is very empty even during rush hour. I've only ever seen a handful of people on it along 17th Ave. Nowhere near the same amount of people I used to see on the 26 or 57. This was the route that was created as a result of the backlash from the seniors at the complex on 26th Ave SE. I'm not entirely sure this new route is working out for them either.

I'm especially curious how the changes around the FMC turned out considering how vocal people were about changes to the 20. Also the industrial routes with the change to the grid network. 52nd St doesn't really seem to be best environment for transfers.

I work in Great Plains so I have a little insight into those industrial routes.

23 south of 17th IS used, but at the moment it's not well used at all. It's almost impossible to get a good connection coming from downtown on the 1/MP so that's why I personally rarely take it.

42/49- I assume the 42 is doing okay but I know the 49 has had a massive increase in riders, probably due to the fact you can actually....ride the 49 (no longer every 23-61 minutes!)

58 is doing quite alright

67 always seems to have at least a dozen people whenever I ride it 

68 isn't getting the ridership they'd hoped for I know that much, but there are a small amount of people who take it.

147 is starting to gain some traction but on a 30-60 minute frequency and no service evenings/weekends there really aren't many riders you can attract. 

148 definitely has less people than the old 23 going to and from Chinook, but I can tell you it is getting used. I always seem to use it going in the reverse peak direction, so I'm always on a near empty bus but the one(s) going the other way seem to be fully seated.

149 is a dead route. It doesn't go anywhere and only occasionally will I see no more than 2 people on the bus or waiting for it at South Hill. 

150- I have only ridden the it once, myself and three other people on the bus at 6:30pm on a Friday going towards Anderson. It seems decently used at rush hour but outside that....it's sufficient for a shuttle route.

MAX Teal and Orange seem to be getting decent ridership from what I've seen, I've noticed more people will now decide to take a MAX Teal over a 20 or 9 between MRU and Heritage and between MRU and Westbrook, respectively.

• Like 1

I might as well talk about Route 111 with the recent addition of big buses in November, since we are on the conversation of ridership.  The 111 has most definitely had increased ridership in the AM/PM rush.  I’ve ridden the 111 home from school almost every day and I can say that from Westbrook there is usually an average of around 15 passengers on daily, with Tuesdays and Thursdays usually being the busiest.  

On 2/12/2019 at 2:47 PM, Blake M said:

I work in Great Plains so I have a little insight into those industrial routes.

23 south of 17th IS used, but at the moment it's not well used at all. It's almost impossible to get a good connection coming from downtown on the 1/MP so that's why I personally rarely take it.

42/49- I assume the 42 is doing okay but I know the 49 has had a massive increase in riders, probably due to the fact you can actually....ride the 49 (no longer every 23-61 minutes!)

58 is doing quite alright

67 always seems to have at least a dozen people whenever I ride it 

68 isn't getting the ridership they'd hoped for I know that much, but there are a small amount of people who take it.

147 is starting to gain some traction but on a 30-60 minute frequency and no service evenings/weekends there really aren't many riders you can attract. 

148 definitely has less people than the old 23 going to and from Chinook, but I can tell you it is getting used. I always seem to use it going in the reverse peak direction, so I'm always on a near empty bus but the one(s) going the other way seem to be fully seated.

149 is a dead route. It doesn't go anywhere and only occasionally will I see no more than 2 people on the bus or waiting for it at South Hill. 

150- I have only ridden the it once, myself and three other people on the bus at 6:30pm on a Friday going towards Anderson. It seems decently used at rush hour but outside that....it's sufficient for a shuttle route.

MAX Teal and Orange seem to be getting decent ridership from what I've seen, I've noticed more people will now decide to take a MAX Teal over a 20 or 9 between MRU and Heritage and between MRU and Westbrook, respectively.

148: I've taken midday.

- Chinook to Glenmore Inn, fast and bus usually filled. However, the transfer point is hard to tell where it is from being on the bus - I found out the hard way, and missed my stop, being forced to stay on the bus past Glenmore Inn... when I asked the driver if I could 'please get off here' (at the off ramp intersection, which was alot closer to the Inn than was the transfer stop - 30 minutes later...), he got mad but still let me off... the transfer point there sucks. It needs to be at least inserted into the automated bus announcements system onboard, maybe better signage? 

- alot of transfers with the new 23, alot of usage even towards the end of the route.

- way back? not packed, but still being used.

Recommendations of mine:

- better transfer point signage

- bus stop announcements that actually announce where to transfer buses...?

- advertise connection with Route 23, seems to be quite the hit with riders.

- Chinook: I notice there's no transit service on the west side of Chinook Centre on 5th St, but still service north of the mall... what's the possibility of having the 148 routed on the West side of Chinook? It might boost ridership on the return part of the trip, as it would act as a feeder for residents around that area, and residents who may also use Route 9 - boosting frequencies and also serving the apartment area around 67 Ave SW, by being within ~100m walking distance of a bus stop?

(see pic) even within about 300 metres of that proposed route, it would be hundreds of residents (maybe 1000?) that would suddenly have extra transit service, boosting service also to routes 9 and 47 (transfers to Lakeview/MRU/Route 3 via short Route 9 trip to Elbow Drive), and vice versa to the SE.

Its not a bad idea... what's everyone else's opinion, on this?

Screenshot_2019-02-20-15-32-32-1.thumb.png.dadfaecd583177018a5e3ef74684a513.png

Edited by armorand
inserted a picture from Google Maps
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dre said:

What routes will be based out of stoney

For the most part, Many 40 foot routes out of the NW, North Pointe and the NE and some of the route north articulated blocks (some 3,301, expresses and school blocks that run articulated buses)

You gotta keep in mind tho, unlike many other transit propeties in Canada and North America, Calgary Transit routes are not based off of a specific garage, for various reasons. Therefore, you may (and will) see some blocks on some routes out of all 4 garages.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Sounds like something is afoot for Route 13:

The route 13 is part of the SW service review that's starting engagement shortly - I'm sure there will be changes to the 13, but likely nothing significant until implementation of the SW BRT.

1 hour ago, CTrainDude said:

The route 13 is part of the SW service review that's starting engagement shortly - I'm sure there will be changes to the 13, but likely nothing significant until implementation of the SW BRT.

Ah, I did notice that … seems logical that it was all part of the same deal. 

Quoted from the BRT thread

On 3/15/2019 at 7:53 AM, Transit Fan said:

414 is less odd for me especially considering the shift towards a grid network seen with last year's changes.

I feel like we'll see an extension of the 414 further south along 14 St. I'd actually also like to see it travel west to MRU so that there's a direct connection between MRU and the North Central area. Connections to two MAX lines at MRU is another bonus.

Looks like you were right on the money, @Transit Fan! Route 414 has been split (sort of) and extended as interlined 51/141. (Interesting that Transit made a point of pointing out the routes are interlined.)

Route_51.jpg Route_141.jpg

Unfortunately, the new lines inherit the low frequency and limited service span of their predecessor.

• Haha 2

For the service review, it's interesting to see that they want to extend the 93 to Chinook from Westhills instead of covering 45th Street and Spruce Cliff. I don't know how well this would work for service reliability with possible delays on Glenmore, but I do like the transferless East - West access across the Glenmore Causeway. Still keeps it a pretty long route though from Coach Hill to Chinook.

Modified_93.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vancouver said:

For the service review, it's interesting to see that they want to extend the 93 to Chinook from Westhills instead of covering 45th Street and Spruce Cliff. I don't know how well this would work for service reliability with possible delays on Glenmore, but I do like the transferless East - West access across the Glenmore Causeway. Still keeps it a pretty long route though from Coach Hill to Chinook.

Modified_93.jpg

There are already some angry people on Twitter about the 112 and the 56 changes.

I think one reason they've extended the 93 to Chinook is due to the 47 being discontinued. The 13 only goes downtown so they expect people to transfer to the 9 or 93 to travel to/from Chinook. The new 93 route also replaces a portion of the 112 and connects to the MAX lines at MRU.

Speaking of which, not too surprised to hear about 112 complaints. The 132 to Westbrook doesn't seem nearly as good and connecting to MAX at MRU via the 93 doesn't seem as practical either. The new proposed 22 is actually very similar to the old route 108 along Richmond Road. They cancelled that when the West LRT opened. I remember there being a bit of backlash at the time. They decided to keep the 112 as the only direct route downtown. Now it looks like we're flip flopping. The 112 is getting cut but the old 108 route is being brought back as the 22.

If the proposed re-routing of Route 7 downtown happens as planned, the only buses running on the 7th Avenue transit mall will be a few peak-only express services, plus Routes 30 (one morning departure) and 69 (two morning departures, two afternoon arrivals).

(P.S. I'm going by memory here … sorry if I've missed any!)

Route_7.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

I think one reason they've extended the 93 to Chinook is due to the 47 being discontinued. The 13 only goes downtown so they expect people to transfer to the 9 or 93 to travel to/from Chinook. The new 93 route also replaces a portion of the 112 and connects to the MAX lines at MRU.

Speaking of which, not too surprised to hear about 112 complaints. The 132 to Westbrook doesn't seem nearly as good and connecting to MAX at MRU via the 93 doesn't seem as practical either. The new proposed 22 is actually very similar to the old route 108 along Richmond Road. They cancelled that when the West LRT opened. I remember there being a bit of backlash at the time. They decided to keep the 112 as the only direct route downtown. Now it looks like we're flip flopping. The 112 is getting cut but the old 108 route is being brought back as the 22.

As well, the old 6 will be making a comeback. I bet the people in Richmond Hill will be annoyed that they almost got their 108 back but not quite.

Overall I like the new changes to Route 81 (it will save me a sketchy 15 minute walk to and through Chinook to the train), and assuming the new Route from Coach Hill to Chinook will use the old 47 stop, that means I will actually be able to take the bus to the station for once... and also get to see more than just a school charter and someone hauling their D60LFR down 68th Avenue for a coffee at 4am before their run begins ?

But I do have some concerns: theres going to be alot of annoyed people without access to the 47 anymore. Well that and Route 81 south of Anderson - I'm just wondering, is ridership that low past Anderson? I've never taken it further south than Superstore, so unsure. But just feels like maybe it can be routed west of Anderson and loop around Scarlett?

• Like 1