Albany (CDTA)

MAX BRT

CDTA credits new routes, services for boosting ridership 5 percent in 2012-13

http://www.bizjourna...rvices-for.html

A lot of younger people are riding the bus and Stackrow sees those riders as lifetime users.

“They like it because the favor a greener environment,” he said.

(article includes a photo of a Gillig BRT hybrid running on Route 905 BusPlus service to Schenectady)

• 1 year later...

According to a post at SubChat, CDTA has awarded a five-year contract to New Flyer for 20 articulated buses. New Flyer was the only manufacturer who submitted a bid; Nova didn't bother.

Interesting. I wonder if maybe Nova could not meet the timeline CDTA wanted?

Interesting. I wonder if maybe Nova could not meet the timeline CDTA wanted?

According to a recent post in the thread at SubChat, Nova declined to submit a bid since the approved equal process would take too long. CDTA staff did try to encourage Nova to participate in the process to ensure open competition, but Nova still declined.

They really must be having a severe backlog in Plattsburgh to decline to even submit a bid. I can understand that producing a small order with unique specs can be a hassle and more trouble than it's worth, if they're struggling to make up for the current delays.

They really must be having a severe backlog in Plattsburgh to decline to even submit a bid. I can understand that producing a small order with unique specs can be a hassle and more trouble than it's worth, if they're struggling to make up for the current delays.

Well, apparently they are interested in ABQ RIDE's next order (for 25 buses to replace the rest of the Neoplans), since they sent an LFS CNG demo over to Albuquerque for them to test, yet they declined to bid (or even participate in the RFP process at all) for Valley Metro and the City of Phoenix for over 300 buses total.

I don't know, Nova did send a demo to CDTA as well. Maybe circumstances have changed since and they can't manage the growth properly. It's puzzling, because they have added a production line in Plattsburgh for Prevost coaches, yet they can't ramp up transit bus production. Or maybe it's the other way around, Prevost is now taking up the space available for expansion?

I don't know, Nova did send a demo to CDTA as well. Maybe circumstances have changed since and they can't manage the growth properly. It's puzzling, because they have added a production line in Plattsburgh for Prevost coaches, yet they can't ramp up transit bus production. Or maybe it's the other way around, Prevost is now taking up the space available for expansion?

Nova still needs to catch up on the very late Philadelphia order, and have even gone through the process of contracting a outside company to provide temporary workers to help speed things up and bring the buses to spec. There seems to be issues with Nova meeting certain specs with US customers, as I recall the CyRide (Iowa) order for 2 articulated buses was delayed significantly due to Nova constantly having to do engineering modifications to meet the specifications they agreed to with CyRide. Learning pains, I guess.

Nova still needs to catch up on the very late Philadelphia order, and have even gone through the process of contracting a outside company to provide temporary workers to help speed things up and bring the buses to spec. There seems to be issues with Nova meeting certain specs with US customers, as I recall the CyRide (Iowa) order for 2 articulated buses was delayed significantly due to Nova constantly having to do engineering modifications to meet the specifications they agreed to with CyRide. Learning pains, I guess.

Not to mention Chicago's order... and an additional order for New York. FWIW, SEPTA exercised an option to bring the total order of Nova artics to 225.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The CDTA posted this photo on Facebook today:

https://www.facebook.com/RideCDTA/photos/a.474715344066.247503.173703599066/10155559008999067/?type=3&theater

Just like roads, bridges, sewer lines and power, transit is a building block for economic development and revitalization. Keep your eyes out for our new articulated bus!

29872701_10155559008999067_6139353320232

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

(quote)CAPITAL REGION -- The Capital District Transportation Authority will launch a pilot electric bus program in the summer.

The authority's board voted Wednesday to buy four all-electric buses, along with four high-capacity chargers and other needed equipment, for just over $3.9 million. Some of those funds will come from the 2016 Volkswagen diesel emissions settlement.

The buses are expected to arrive by July and, while they will be only a small part of CDTA's 233-vehicle fleet, authority officials hope to learn about their effectiveness and drawbacks. In the meantime, they will use less diesel fuel and -- eventually -- save the CDTA some money. A successful pilot program could lead to the purchase of more electric buses.(unquote)

https://dailygazette.com/article/2018/12/12/cdta-is-buying-its-first-electric-buses

The four buses will be XE40s from New Flyer. Pretty quick turnaround, here by July? Unusual.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...