Greetings. I don't know how much of this is known.not known by you guys, but I just thought I'd post anyway. I'm a pre-apprentice commercial transport mechanic currently taking my preapp at Thompson Rivers University. Bus #3102 (as confirmed by my picture and the records on the wiki, which was technically operated by Coast Mountain, which would be Metro Vancouver, but it's not there anymore :P) was donated a few (5 maybe? No records here for some reason) years ago to TRU...to my knowledge, until I started working on it, it hadn't moved from it's spot in our yard since it arrived. (No one here knew how to move it except for me so that's my reasoning on that) Is still in running condition surprisingly (still sounds awesome)... it's not mising a whole lot either. So majority of my time is spent working on this thing. :) (D40HF) Anyway, I thought maybe someone would be interested in what happened to it. :/

D40vin.jpg

When I did 1st year at TRU, back in 2006, they had an old Greyhound MC9. I was working with Gray Line West in Victoria back then, so the Hound unit didn't really interest me. I'm pretty sure that's the only bus/coach they had back then.

When I did my ELTT course at Camosun in Victoria, they didn't have any buses or coaches. Only trucks, trailers, excavators, a dozer and a crawler loader, although I've seen pictures of at least one old BC Transit bus floating around on the interwebs.

Personally, I think it's about time people are able to get hands on training on coaches and buses. Just for the fact that they are a different breed. I remember asking my instructor if he knew anything about ECAS and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Greetings. I don't know how much of this is known.not known by you guys, but I just thought I'd post anyway. I'm a pre-apprentice commercial transport mechanic currently taking my preapp at Thompson Rivers University. Bus #3102 (as confirmed by my picture and the records on the wiki, which was technically operated by Coast Mountain, which would be Metro Vancouver, but it's not there anymore :P) was donated a few (5 maybe? No records here for some reason) years ago to TRU...to my knowledge, until I started working on it, it hadn't moved from it's spot in our yard since it arrived. (No one here knew how to move it except for me so that's my reasoning on that) Is still in running condition surprisingly (still sounds awesome)... it's not mising a whole lot either. So majority of my time is spent working on this thing. :) (D40HF) Anyway, I thought maybe someone would be interested in what happened to it. :/

Thanks for posting !! Would it be possible to post some pics of the bus? :)

When I did 1st year at TRU, back in 2006, they had an old Greyhound MC9. I was working with Gray Line West in Victoria back then, so the Hound unit didn't really interest me. I'm pretty sure that's the only bus/coach they had back then.

When I did my ELTT course at Camosun in Victoria, they didn't have any buses or coaches. Only trucks, trailers, excavators, a dozer and a crawler loader, although I've seen pictures of at least one old BC Transit bus floating around on the interwebs.

Personally, I think it's about time people are able to get hands on training on coaches and buses. Just for the fact that they are a different breed. I remember asking my instructor if he knew anything about ECAS and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Heh, seems they've has quite a few then. We have records of an old MCI (maybe the one you saw?) and a GM fishbowl but no buses to show for them sadly. :( I think that maybe was back when they used to be called Caribou College. We also have an '85 Thomas/IHC school bus but I'm not too interested in that. I've been super obsessed with D40's (both HF and LF) since I was about 10 so you can imagine how happy I was to see a D40 in our yard. :D I also agree with you on your last point, everyone here knows next to nothing about this bus so I've has to figure most of it out on my own. There is a glimmer of hope though. There's talks between TRU and BC Transit at the moment about doing an accelerated apprenticeship course. Will be all focused on buses, BC Transit has said they'll donate two more buses and a lift to TRU. Won't affect me but it's good for those to come. Although I wish we had proper lifts here because these transit buses are a bit of a pain to work on using just jack stands. Luckily I'm small so I fit (I actually fit perfectly into the engine compartment :P), but still...and the electrical...don't get me started...

Who was your instructor when you were at TRU?

Thanks for posting !! Would it be possible to post some pics of the bus? :)

Absolutely! When I go to school tomorrow I will take a few pictures and post them ASAP. Thanks for the replies guys. Oh btw, this is 3102 in service in 2007: http://www.etspe.ca/...slinkV3102r.jpg

This is very interesting, thanks for posting this information! When Translink tried to sell the D40s following the 2010 Olympics, they were relatively unsuccessful - I seem to remember the word on the street being that about 15 of them were actually sold at auction before the decision was made to scrap the rest of them. Perhaps the Vancouver crew (myself included) could look back at our old photos from 2008-2010 to see if we can determine when that bus was last seen running in service.

I remember seeing a fishbowl which I want to think was 842 parked at VITP in early 2006 (February if memory serves).

Heh, seems they've has quite a few then. We have records of an old MCI (maybe the one you saw?) and a GM fishbowl but no buses to show for them sadly. :( I think that maybe was back when they used to be called Caribou College. We also have an '85 Thomas/IHC school bus but I'm not too interested in that. I've been super obsessed with D40's (both HF and LF) since I was about 10 so you can imagine how happy I was to see a D40 in our yard. :D I also agree with you on your last point, everyone here knows next to nothing about this bus so I've has to figure most of it out on my own. There is a glimmer of hope though. There's talks between TRU and BC Transit at the moment about doing an accelerated apprenticeship course. Will be all focused on buses, BC Transit has said they'll donate two more buses and a lift to TRU. Won't affect me but it's good for those to come. Although I wish we had proper lifts here because these transit buses are a bit of a pain to work on using just jack stands. Luckily I'm small so I fit (I actually fit perfectly into the engine compartment :P), but still...and the electrical...don't get me started...

Who was your instructor when you were at TRU?

Absolutely! When I go to school tomorrow I will take a few pictures and post them ASAP. Thanks for the replies guys. Oh btw, this is 3102 in service in 2007: http://www.etspe.ca/...slinkV3102r.jpg

As a school bus driver I for one would be interested in seeing pics of the school bus. Oldest I've driven is a 1989 Blue Bird. Oldest Thomas I've driven is a 1992.

Here's a few photos I took today of our '91 NFI D40HF in the shop for you all to see! I apologize that the picture quality isn't the greatest, bad camera plus bad lighting and I was in a hurry to get work done. Here: http://rotw.ca/images/bus_photos Sorry nothing fancy, just a folder listing. :) Enjoy!

This is very interesting, thanks for posting this information! When Translink tried to sell the D40s following the 2010 Olympics, they were relatively unsuccessful - I seem to remember the word on the street being that about 15 of them were actually sold at auction before the decision was made to scrap the rest of them. Perhaps the Vancouver crew (myself included) could look back at our old photos from 2008-2010 to see if we can determine when that bus was last seen running in service. I remember seeing a fishbowl which I want to think was 842 parked at VITP in early 2006 (February if memory serves). As a school bus driver I for one would be interested in seeing pics of the school bus. Oldest I've driven is a 1989 Blue Bird. Oldest Thomas I've driven is a 1992.

Is that right? That's interesting, because I found a sticker on that bus about something related to them moving homeless people out of the city for the Olympics. So that males total sense. If there's anything that you can find out about it I would greatly appreciate it! :) As for the school bus, I'll see if I can get a few photos of it tomorrow. ;)

Welcome aboard! Thanks for posting that information - it is amazing how much this board comes together! :)

Thank you! And thanks also for that photo you (I assume it was you) took of 3102. :)

Again, thanks for the welcomes all, it's cool to finally find someplace that isn't totally weirded out by how much I love this stuff. :P

Here's a few photos I took today of our '91 NFI D40HF in the shop for you all to see! I apologize that the picture quality isn't the greatest, bad camera plus bad lighting and I was in a hurry to get work done. Here: http://rotw.ca/images/bus_photos Sorry nothing fancy, just a folder listing. :) Enjoy!

Is that right? That's interesting, because I found a sticker on that bus about something related to them moving homeless people out of the city for the Olympics. So that males total sense. If there's anything that you can find out about it I would greatly appreciate it! :) As for the school bus, I'll see if I can get a few photos of it tomorrow. ;)

Thank you! And thanks also for that photo you (I assume it was you) took of 3102. :)

Again, thanks for the welcomes all, it's cool to finally find someplace that isn't totally weirded out by how much I love this stuff. :P

Thanks for posting! Thats some great shots you got there.. its good to see that its still relatively in good shape :)

Glad to hear someone's working on that old beast! Those D40s and D60s were what got me in this hobby in the first place. It is true that they're in running condition and not missing much, as they were pulled directly out of service still in perfect working order... and had been rebuilt only a few years prior as well!

They were pulled from service a few months after the Olympics, so that would have been three years ago.

Glad to hear someone's working on that old beast! Those D40s and D60s were what got me in this hobby in the first place. It is true that they're in running condition and not missing much, as they were pulled directly out of service still in perfect working order... and had been rebuilt only a few years prior as well! They were pulled from service a few months after the Olympics, so that would have been three years ago.

Well that's some interesting news now. Rebuilt huh? That explains why everything's all over the place. :P It's badly rusted in some areas though. Not to the point of holes, but it's getter there.

Personally, I wanna find a D40HF or LF to buy in the near future. I'd love to own one. Especially one with a ZF 4HP 590, those things sound awesome! (I realize that's a bit of a tall order...)

Personally, I wanna find a D40HF or LF to buy in the near future. I'd love to own one. Especially one with a ZF 4HP 590, those things sound awesome! (I realize that's a bit of a tall order...)

Edmonton has some D40LFs that will no doubt be retired soon. They have ZF 4HP 500 transmissions - not quite what you're after but similar.

The initial purchase price is not what is going to be expensive, it's the upkeep. What do you plan on doing with it? People have tried and failed when it comes to preserving a bus on their own. Not trying to be discouraging, just realistic.

I understand, and I appreciate your concern. To be honest, I just don't know enough to make a good decision right now. I imagine that I'd handle it in a way most people would treat classic cars, you know, keep in best shape as I can and take it for a spin every once in a while. It's a really weird feeling, I don't know why I want one or what to do with one really, I just...do...and have for years. Bleh. :/

(I didn't think this was worth making a new thread for so I'll just continue mine here)

So for my practicum in July, I went to my local BC Transit garage (Kamloops) and asked them if they'd let me do my practicum there, and they were happy to help me out in that way! So I'm really excited for that. :D However, they also said that they probably wouldn't be able to hire me after I was done my practicum though. My question here is, do any of you know of other transit garages that would be willing to hire someone like me? (I'm gonna poke some people in Kelowna, Victoria, Vancouver, and Calgary, but I'd be willing to go anywhere in Canada right now.) I've also thought about taking up an operator position as a means of getting my foot in the door too...

Bit of an update on the accelerated program. This is an actual thing now...so yes, it's really happening. Yes, it's happening at TRU, and yes, 2 'new' buses are being donated (so I've heard, personally I find this a bit hard to believe, I was guessing more along the lines of the '92 D40LFs they just retired), along with the lifts, will go for 17-18 months, and it'll cost around $15,000 for a seat, with 16 seats total. This is being orchestrated by Vancouver apparently. Start date is said to be either this or next fall, I can't remember which. While this is all nice, what I'm more interested in is what the fate of the D40HF we have now will be. I imagine they'll want to get rid of it, it won't be of much use to anyone with these new buses coming (I hope they aren't Novas...), even though there's nothing horribly wrong with it. It's just old and needs some attention. >_>

Hey everyone. No news on any job for me yet...I've even started looking outside of transit places but no one's hiring. :( Going to be making some more calls tomorrow. Anyway, I've run into a major issue with the D40...other problems are occupying my attention at the moment but this one is next on my list. I've recently discovered that the bus is now incapable of generating any air pressure whatsoever on it's own. I can fill it up from the rear air valve in the engine compartment but on it's own it will do nothing. It used to have an issue getting over 83 (yes, exactly 83) PSI but I would rev the engine a bit and it would get over it. Now it doesn't mater how high I rev the engine. Also, I fill this thing up pretty much every day, and when I come back the next day it's down to 40-50 PSI. But it's always done that, don't know if that's normal or not. Nothing in the manual about any of this, and since no one at TRU knows anything or cares about it, it's 'up to me' once again. Already gone insane tracing air lines with a spray bottle trying to find leaks. Have replaced the line under the driver's seat (it was kinked very badly) that was leaking and that rear air valve was also leaking. I don't know if any of my 'fixes' have somehow caused the system to stop working altogether, I don't see how but then again what do I know. I don't expect anyone to have any suggestions but if you do they would be greatly appreciated!