Sign in to follow this  
A. Wong

New Greyhounds

Greyhound Lines orders 130 MCI® D4505 models

SCHAUMBURG, IL — April 01, 2013 — Motor Coach Industries, the leading builder of intercity coaches in North America, will deliver 130 MCI D4505 coaches to Greyhound Lines as part of a two-year contract.

"We're committed to providing our customers with safe and comfortable travel, which is why we continue to work with MCI to deliver quality motorcoaches with modern amenities that our customers will enjoy," said Dave Leach, president and CEO, Greyhound Lines, Inc.

Greyhound's new D4505 coaches will reflect the company's updated look and come equipped with wheelchair lifts and digital amenities now available on all of its newer Greyhound coaches, including Wi-Fi and power outlets at all passenger seats. The new coaches also come with three-point passenger seatbelts and lush leatherette seating for 50. Greyhound has also ordered MCI's optional air-ride driver's seat, and added security features including an aisle gate and driver's shield. The new MCI D4505s are powered by clean-diesel Cummins engines paired with Allison B500 transmissions.

"Greyhound Lines has once again selected MCI to deliver on its commitment to provide its passengers with safe, comfortable and environmentally friendly transportation," said Rick Heller, MCI President and CEO. "This is a significant contract. It demonstrates MCI's ability to supply Reliability Driven coaches, parts and service, and allows us to participate in Greyhound Lines' expansion. We are proud to be a part of its success in serving its growing ridership."

http://www.mcicoach.com/media-center/2013-04-01-greyhound.htm

And somehow I think none of these will be for Greyhound Canada.

The quote says Greyhound Lines has ordered the new coaches, that's the US division. They probably would've mentioned them being split between US and Canada in the article otherwise.

Besides, Greyhound Canada just got a few hundred "new" D4500 coaches... <_< at least the native Canadian coaches are starting to get refurbishment too.

The quote says Greyhound Lines has ordered the new coaches, that's the US division. They probably would've mentioned them being split between US and Canada in the article otherwise.

Besides, Greyhound Canada just got a few hundred "new" D4500 coaches... <_< at least the native Canadian coaches are starting to get refurbishment too.

Yes I read that. I was just commenting on the fact that there are no new coaches for the Canadian side. The newest buses that I know of are the 2006 D4505's.

Yes I read that. I was just commenting on the fact that there are no new coaches for the Canadian side. The newest buses that I know of are the 2006 D4505's.

I know, and yes the buses with the lowest age in the Canadian fleet are those 2006 D4505s.

But remember, we just got a few hundred refurbished D4500s, which are in "as good as new" condition so they're almost like brand new buses (no). So Greyhound Canada doesn't need new buses <_<.

I know, and yes the buses with the lowest age in the Canadian fleet are those 2006 D4505s.

But remember, we just got a few hundred refurbished D4500s, which are in "as good as new" condition so they're almost like brand new buses (no). So Greyhound Canada doesn't need new buses <_<.

The thing is they should have added wheelchair lifts to the Canadian reburbs.

Prevost received an order for 55 more X3-45 coaches from Greyhound in addition to the two orders it received earlier in the year, for a total of 145 vehicles.

“We worked with Greyhound to design a vehicle with lots of innovations plus an array of safety features that exceed the most stringent industry standards,” said Gaétan Bolduc, president/CEO of Prevost.

Out of the 145 vehicles ordered, 50 were delivered between April and September 2013. The 95 remaining coaches will be delivered in April and May 2014.

Prevost supplied Greyhound and First Canada with a total of 350 vehicles between 2008 and 2012, inclusively.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/news/story/2013/11/greyhound-orders-55-more-prevost-x3-45s.aspx?ref=Express-Thursday-20131114&utm_campaign=Express-Thursday-20131114&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

I'm surprised they didnt get ZF transmissions.

As for Prevost, they had the option for the Volvo I-Shift, but in my own opinion it drives like crap compared the the ZF.

The ZF is not City drive friendly hence the Allison is more efficient to use.

But the ZF gets much better fuel economy on the highway...

According to some mechanics I've talked to, they're a head ache to work on and maintain. Maybe that is why Greyhound wanted Allison?

But the ZF gets much better fuel economy on the highway...

True and so does the Volvo I-Shift,

When you are stuck in traffic or driving in a bustling city, its harder for the driver to keep the shifting smooth and then it causes discomfort for the Passengers.

Driving a Semi-Automated has the same or more workload for the driver as driving a manual. You have to watch your RPM gauge when doing city driving or stuck in traffic. For drivers who are very familiar with the shift pad, they would put it in manual mode to prevent shifting but of course you still have to watch your RPM gauge. Also, how you accelerate is another job especially when you're stuck in traffic or doing city driving. When you are at a dead stop, you have a 3 second window to accelerate without rolling in either direction and when you stop at Stop signs, you actually have to come to a complete stop, no rolling.

According to some mechanics I've talked to, they're a head ache to work on and maintain. Maybe that is why Greyhound wanted Allison?

It's more of the Transmission being Electronically Controlled and clutch disc repair. The I-Shift prevents the clutch disc from being damaged except for life expectancies and normal wear & tear.

Allison has more of a easy to use computer system. ZF is German and German products are more advance than North American products.

It's more of the Transmission being Electronically Controlled and clutch disc repair. The I-Shift prevents the clutch disc from being damaged except for life expectancies and normal wear & tear.

Allison has more of a easy to use computer system. ZF is German and German products are more advance than North American products.

That is what is giving some shops a hard time as well you added. ZF is a little more complicated to work with.

I've driven a ZF (though it was many years ago). I've also driven my share of Allisons. Recently I drove an international mini-bus with an Eaton Roadranger autoshift over a series-hybrid system. That was very different from a ZF.

I've never driven, nor ridden on a coach equipped with the Volvo I-Shift. Feedback I've heard is it is a superior transmission to the ZF in many ways.

I agree with the above post about the workload for the driver in a ZF. While I've never driven a manual transmission bus (and I can't double clutch), I've spent an awful lot of time fiddling with the keypad at low speed and in traffic on a ZF. As the keypad is not physically intuitive, you spend a lot of time looking at it when your eyes should be on the road.

Also, the ZF computer may shift when you don't want to, which forces, even at highway speeds, another reach and look at the keypad to override the pending shift (for instance, you see a hill coming and want to hit it at top RPMs). I just can't imagine that an honest to god manual with a clutch pedal is MORE work than managing at ZF appropriately.

Didnt they recently move the shifter to the front panel in some models?

I was told that there is a significant savings in fuel economy when compared to Allison, is that true?

Didnt they recently move the shifter to the front panel in some models?

I was told that there is a significant savings in fuel economy when compared to Allison, is that true?

Shift Panel on a Prevost H3-45 is still at the at the driver's left thigh. As for the X3 or MCIs, I do not know. Moving the panel to the front does not make a difference.

Yes the automated transmissions does have great fuel economy compared to the Allison. Example a Prevost with the I-Shift while at high speeds can go 3,000 KM on one tank compared to the Alison going 2,500 KM on one tank.

I've never driven, nor ridden on a coach equipped with the Volvo I-Shift. Feedback I've heard is it is a superior transmission to the ZF in many ways.

I agree with the above post about the workload for the driver in a ZF. While I've never driven a manual transmission bus (and I can't double clutch), I've spent an awful lot of time fiddling with the keypad at low speed and in traffic on a ZF. As the keypad is not physically intuitive, you spend a lot of time looking at it when your eyes should be on the road.

Also, the ZF computer may shift when you don't want to, which forces, even at highway speeds, another reach and look at the keypad to override the pending shift (for instance, you see a hill coming and want to hit it at top RPMs). I just can't imagine that an honest to god manual with a clutch pedal is MORE work than managing at ZF appropriately.

The only thing "superior" with the I-Shift is you can roll forward. The ZF has the 3 second easystart for both back and forward rolls.

Also, you share my pain on driving a ZF! lol