YYC Spottings

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Aeromexico pulled out of YYC on April 9th. Though they have flown to YYC before, however, this time they were doomed from the start. With Arrival times at YYC at 2200 and departure times at 2355, the route was not popular from Mexico city. They only lasted 10 months (June 2017-April 2018). WestJet took over operations of the route with better arrival times and a codeshare agreement with Aeromexico. I only caught Aeromexico a couple times. Here is their inaugural flight back on June 1st, 2017. It was so unpopular I heard that often times, the planes were only a 1/4 full to YYC. 

AirCanada455-C-GIUF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Plane makes an emergency landing on 36 Street NE in Calgary! No injuries or serious damage to the LRT and the aircraft! Quite the airmanship! For once a roadway was shared by cars, trains, and planes! 

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/plane-travelling-from-medicine-hat-to-calgary-makes-emergency-landing-on-36-street-ne-1.3901130

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Greatcoinz said:

Plane makes an emergency landing on 36 Street NE in Calgary! No injuries or serious damage to the LRT and the aircraft! Quite the airmanship! For once a roadway was shared by cars, trains, and planes! 

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/plane-travelling-from-medicine-hat-to-calgary-makes-emergency-landing-on-36-street-ne-1.3901130

Thats just a few blocks over from where I'm staying :P

Here's a photo I took from the accident scene earlier this afternoon, with an AC 787 on Final and a passing CTrain. It truly is a remarkable scene!!! Note the black truck infront of the plane, they pulled the plane aside and shortly after reopened 36 Street Northbound. 

SuperTManagement-C-FCWW.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Greatcoinz said:

Here's a photo I took from the accident scene earlier this afternoon, with an AC 787 on Final and a passing CTrain. It truly is a remarkable scene!!! Note the black truck infront of the plane, they pulled the plane aside and shortly after reopened 36 Street Northbound. 

That is a remarkable photo, a plane on the ground, a plane in the air and the C-Train !!!  Gotta hang onto that shot..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greatcoinz said:

SuperTManagement-C-FCWW.jpg

And a B787 too :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Frontier has started up operations again at YYC. They'll be servicing YYC 3x a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays with the A320 which started on May 31st. I didn't catch their inaugural flight due to evening classes but I was able to catch there second flight which brought the A320 Neo. This is the second A320 NEO to visit YYC. 

Frontier-N310FR.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I went for the first time spotting since October 2018. Before the WJ 787-9 arrived, caught this Atlas Air - Boeing 747 from Miami. I assume this is one of these Horse Charters which departed for Japan the following day. 

As a side note, my hands nearly turned purple after taking these pictures! (Can't use mittens when trying to take a hundred pictures at once)

AtlasAir-N489MC.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I guess this hasn't happened in awhile. Another Boeing 747 made a daylight appearance from Miami before leaving for Dover Air Force Base. Daytime 747s are uncommon at YYC. Another Atlas Air 747 came in on early Friday morning bound for Seoul. 

FB_IMG_1616778962554.jpg

• Like 1

TUI has been flying to YYC every day in the last week delivering medical supplies from Manchester with both the Boeing 787-8 and 787-9. Pardon the photo quality, I've been back to using an old crappy point & shoot that I carry with me to work rather than my DSLR. 

TUI-PH-TFM (2).jpg

TUI-G-TUIN.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While Cargolux has made some recent daytime arrivals, two Cargolux 747s were present back on April 4th. The reason? The Cargolux Italia 747 took off early morning on April 3rd and returned to YYC due to one of the engines overheating 90 minutes into flight while near Churchill Manitoba. The plane returned without incident and the next morning, another 747 came with an replacement engine. Both planes departed late night on April 4th. 

Cargolux-747x2 (2).jpg

Cargolux-LX-TCV (3).jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Volga-Dnepr IL-76 arrived at YYC this afternoon from Anchorage. The flight route was Tianjin-Khabarovsk-Anchorage-Calgary over the course of the last few days. An Antonov 124 will follow suit on the same route. I was told the two are here to drop off cargo. 

VolgaDnepr-RA-76503 (4).jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really am behind on some of the interesting sights at YYC. 

For 4 Days back in Mid-July, French Bee's Airbus A350 made a technical stop at YYC due to a fuel shortage in Vancouver from Paris-Calgary- Payette. The tech stops have since moved to Toronto-Pearson. This was the second time a A350 visited YYC. 

20210717_220344.jpg

Air Transat resumed services from August 1st. They will be flying to Montreal 4x a week using the A321 / A321 Neo.

20210801_221838.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Some interesting aircraft to arrive at YYC over the last few months

First visit for this aircraft type to YYC back on January 11th. HiFly A330-900 Neo at the East Pad after arriving at YYC as a refugee charter. 

20220111_150137.jpg

Wamos Air - Airbus A330-300 at Gate 78 before departing back to Madrid Spain after another Refugee Charter back on February 25th, 2022. 

20220225_054637.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...