Jump to content

Disney Transport general discussion


Recommended Posts

On 12/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Some other Disney buses have been getting wraps too. 5027 is a Donald Duck Bus and 5014-5017 are Up! buses. 5018 is the only Mickey Mouse bus I found so far. There are no other photos for wrapped buses yet that I saw

hmmm interesting. Pretty sure these were the old graphics (red and purple) prior to character wraps. Are they wrapping over the old graphics like Disney+ or old movie wraps were done or are they removing the old graphics and placing these wraps flat on the paint. Was supposed to have been there about 2 weeks ago but due to COVID my job has prohibited traveling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, doglover44 said:

What buses do they have now ?

They have some 4815-4884 Nova LFS 2nd gens, 4885-4952 Gillig Low Floors, 4953 Nova LFS 2nd gen, 4954-4983 4985-4999 Gillig low floors, 5000-5009 Nova LFS 3rd Gens, 5010-5069 5071-5145 Gillig low floors, 5146-5151 New Flyer XD60, 5152-5157 Nova LFSa, 5158-5212 Gillig Low floors 2013 livery, and finally 5213-so far 5288 Gillig low floors in Disney character liveries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

They have some 4815-4884 Nova LFS 2nd gens, 4885-4952 Gillig Low Floors, 4953 Nova LFS 2nd gen, 4954-4983 4985-4999 Gillig low floors, 5000-5009 Nova LFS 3rd Gens, 5010-5069 5071-5145 Gillig low floors, 5146-5151 New Flyer XD60, 5152-5157 Nova LFSa, 5158-5212 Gillig Low floors 2013 livery, and finally 5213-so far 5288 Gillig low floors in Disney character liveries.

Any pics ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi y'all i got a question. For people who been tracking the wraps lately on the 50xx buses, what buses have unique wraps? I got 5011 5012 5013 as Minnie Mouse, 5014 5016 5017 as Up!, 5018 as a Mickey Mouse, 5021 and 5022 as Daisy duck, 5023-5025 5028 5031 5033 as Disney+, 5027 5034 5041 as Donald duck, 5035 5036 5038 as STAR WARS movie, and 5037 for WandaVision. Anyone got the wraps for 5010 5015 5019 5020 5026 5029 5030 5032 5039 5040 5042+?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BroncoFan623 said:

I'm very curious. Do you need to have a ticket to Disney to ride the Disney Transport buses/monorail?

No, all WDW monorails, buses, watercraft, and Skyliners are free to anyone.  But you will need to pay for parking at a theme park, unless you park at Disney Springs and take a bus to a resort hotel, or get to the property by some means other than driving.  Parking at the hotels is limited to registered guests and those with dining reservations at the resort's restaurants.

For a while, after they first restarted park-hopping after it had been shut down during the pandemic, you had to have a valid ticket to board buses traveling between parks, but word is that that restriction has not been enforced lately.

The Epcot Monorail and some watercraft have not yet resumed operation.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not an expert on Disney Transport -- nor do I often suggest/request edits to the CPTDB Wiki. But, I spot what I believe is a seriously false statement atop the Wiki listing for Disney:

Disney Transport is operated under contract by Mears Transportation Group.

Huh?

I'm 99% sure Disney runs the "main" WDW bus system in-house. Mears and other companies handle some niche/secondary services under contract to Disney -- but not the vast, high-profile system that transports guests.

@joelkfla ... you were/are an operator for Disney? Can you attest that your paycheck came directly from a Disney business unit -- as opposed to a third-party contractor?

Disney Transport is a unique system -- it's useful to have accurate(-ish) info about it. Can we confirm here before attempting to fix the Wiki?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Border City Transit said:

I am not an expert on Disney Transport -- nor do I often suggest/request edits to the CPTDB Wiki. But, I spot what I believe is a seriously false statement atop the Wiki listing for Disney:

Disney Transport is operated under contract by Mears Transportation Group.

Huh?

I'm 99% sure Disney runs the "main" WDW bus system in-house. Mears and other companies handle some niche/secondary services under contract to Disney -- but not the vast, high-profile system that transports guests.

@joelkfla ... you were/are an operator for Disney? Can you attest that your paycheck came directly from a Disney business unit -- as opposed to a third-party contractor?

Disney Transport is a unique system -- it's useful to have accurate(-ish) info about it. Can we confirm here before attempting to fix the Wiki?

Yes, Disney Transport was under Disney Parks & Recreation.  I think they've shuffled the corporate divisions since then, but it's still Disney, not Mears.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Border City Transit said:

I am not an expert on Disney Transport -- nor do I often suggest/request edits to the CPTDB Wiki. But, I spot what I believe is a seriously false statement atop the Wiki listing for Disney:

Disney Transport is operated under contract by Mears Transportation Group.

Huh?

I'm 99% sure Disney runs the "main" WDW bus system in-house. Mears and other companies handle some niche/secondary services under contract to Disney -- but not the vast, high-profile system that transports guests.

@joelkfla ... you were/are an operator for Disney? Can you attest that your paycheck came directly from a Disney business unit -- as opposed to a third-party contractor?

Disney Transport is a unique system -- it's useful to have accurate(-ish) info about it. Can we confirm here before attempting to fix the Wiki?

Did you check Wikipedia for Disney Transport fleet yet with the photos of RTS-04 and RTS-06 in retired section yet and don't forget to update the roster for new Gilligs with the white LED headsigns please? 

6 hours ago, joelkfla said:

No, all WDW monorails, buses, watercraft, and Skyliners are free to anyone.  But you will need to pay for parking at a theme park, unless you park at Disney Springs and take a bus to a resort hotel, or get to the property by some means other than driving.  Parking at the hotels is limited to registered guests and those with dining reservations at the resort's restaurants.

For a while, after they first restarted park-hopping after it had been shut down during the pandemic, you had to have a valid ticket to board buses traveling between parks, but word is that that restriction has not been enforced lately.

The Epcot Monorail and some watercraft have not yet resumed operation.

Did the Disney Monorail trains  and Watercraft parked during COVID-19 Lockdowns in Orlando  and are these units will be back in revenue service after the Covid-19 Pandemic passes over 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JAX Transit 2000 said:

Did the Disney Monorail trains  and Watercraft parked during COVID-19 Lockdowns in Orlando  and are these units will be back in revenue service after the Covid-19 Pandemic passes over 

I haven't heard of any plans to permanently retire any Transport vehicles, but I'm no longer "in the loop", and I suppose anything is possible.

Monorails are running; it's just the Epcot line that remains shuttered.  In fact, I saw a report that Monorail Red just returned to service following a refurb.  There has been speculation on fan sites that the Epcot Monorail is remaining closed to reduce crowding on the other 2 lines that feed it, and buses can handle the current reduced number of riders.

The watercraft that haven't returned to service are on the smaller side.  My opinion is that  their passenger capacity with social distancing would be too low to make it worthwhile.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Im also certain Disney Transport has no affiliation with Mears - only the soon to end Magical Express operation and Cruise line does. Disney does all the maintenance in house and runs with its own drivers, whereas this is not the case with Magical Express or Cruise Line.

The other thing that seems to be a bit innaccurate in the bus roster is saying the earlier NovaBus are leased. I dont know 100% that their not, and maybe they were in the earlier days, but it would be very unusual for a large fleet of old buses to be leased.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Disney Transport current update:

Nothing new since before COVID. 5288 listed on the wiki page is the highest in the fleet. I saw 5285/6 so seems pretty close

Fleet future: Wrapping all the buses for disney characters. Older buses are being wrapped but their wraps are not nearly as artistic. (Example: Mickey or Minnie Mouse will only have the character head fitting within one window). Minimal window coverage now with the wraps. No Novas have received any wraps as of yet. In fact they were not really running the Nova's much! 5000-5009  were running and are in the white with red. Seemed like finding the 2000-2002 Nova's was getting tougher. Buses are no longer having their model year incorporated into their numbers. Any buses that get a wrap will lose the "-xx" from their fleet number. I'll double check my pictures but the oldest bus I saw wrapped in a character was a 2011 model year. Might be a hint of where things are going. The older Gillig's have the Voith transmission and 2011 on got Allison's. 

EPCOT monorail is still OOS and but work tractors were on the beam doing some power washing and maintenance. 

MK Monorails: Polynesian Monorail station OOS as they rebuild it for the hotel's major refurbishment. Rumor has it that project is being sped up to open earlier rather than later. 

Monorail Fleet: Latest monorail refresh has the back walls of the cars no longer having a carpeting but rather a wall paper which tells you which monorail you are on. Automated spiels were not working well or completely broken;  Teal, Blue, Lime, Black 

Additional buses: Academy Bus is providing a bunch of extra buses to help for the EPCOT monorail down, limited capacity due to social distancing and a reported Disney Transport driver shortage?. They are paper signs with Disney Transport 99xx. Mixture of D4500/4505 and some Van Hool C2045s. Do not recall seeing ant CX45s

Pictures of some things to come in the near future! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...