General CTrain Discussion

38 minutes ago, Ape Escape Remastere said:

Not every operator has been trained on all 4 systems

Every train operator gets the same training and must be able to operate every train in the fleet. 

A small detail that I noticed today, the red line train based out of OBMF now head to Tuscany first on the red line rather than somerset, similarly when returning to OBMF the trains come from Tuscany rather Somerset when switching to the blue line at city hall. 

• Like 2

This is just a guess, but doing things like this would seem to align with our earlier discussion: having trains go from OBMF to Tuscany first means they can avoid unusual movements at City Hall station.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, downbeat said:

This is just a guess, but doing things like this would seem to align with our earlier discussion: having trains go from OBMF to Tuscany first means they can avoid unusual movements at City Hall station.

Yes… these movements have been happening since the beginning of time.

Pre-Covid and before Haysbro shut down rush-hour 201 trains were regularly scheduled to interline with the 202

Before OBMF opened up, late night trains would stop at 3rd St East Station and short tern into City Hall, the operator would switch ends get bombarded with questions about what’s going on and continue south before City Hall north platform even existed. That movement happened in between 201s In the wee hours of the early morning before end of service when there was no traffic. 

201 trains would short turn into 10th St from the 202 line and go south. 

• Like 1

I remember a long time ago, there were rush hour trains that operated regularly in a U shape from northwest to northeast. People who boarded without paying attention to the destination sign were mighty surprised!

• Like 3

On 6/28/2024 at 9:55 AM, downbeat said:

This comes at the cost of manpower … but what about adding CTrain operators during rush hours so there can be someone waiting at the end of the line to immediately enter the trailing cab whenever a train arrives? The arriving operator then has the time to position themselves to drive the next train. Whatever the dwell time currently is, you could subtract the time it takes to walk from one cab to the other. Could this provide a slight increase in capacity without additional equipment?

Dropping/stepping back, an old practice on the Toronto subway, Expo (67) Express in Montreal...to name just 2 examples I can think of.

So, 3 car trains is certainly going to prove interesting this year.

Tonight was not exceptionally busy by any means, with just a tad, but not exceptionally serious crowding day the stampede stations. The train that pulled out of the pocket track into VP to go south was immediately stuffed. The train right behind it was also packed like a cattle car. Northbound was somewhat quieter but still quite busy for a train through every 3-5 mins after midnight.

I really wonder how sustainable this is going to be especially on those weekends and family day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downbeat said:

I do hope the schedule is wrong and that the trains are leaving Vic Park more often than every 30 minutes tonight after 11 …

There were unscheduled departures last night from 11:30 to 12:30 so I would presume same for tonight

• Like 1

Operators will begin to sign up for September signup on the 15th of July. 

Looking at the work. Didn't notice much out of the ordinary except that the number of runs is about the same as March. The other change is we will be having a new route 26. Most of the 26's appear to be out of Stoney. One all day bus is from Spring Gardens. Route 26 will goto Westbrook, Tuscany and Bowness road and 77th. I have no other details at this time 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Ape Escape Remastere said:

Has anyone seen any of the U2 train out during the Calgary Stamped 

They were out for the regular AM, PM rush on weekdays but I don't expect to see them out this weekend. 

• Like 2