General CTrain Discussion

5 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Operator was the gentleman who gives greetings and weather updates on entering and leaving downtown, so I imagine he knows all the tricks haha!

I think I've heard some of those weather updates.

5 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Operator was the gentleman who gives greetings and weather updates on entering and leaving downtown, so I imagine he knows all the tricks haha!

More then likely probably not. It was probably his relief that dialed it in as it stays programmed until the batteries are turned off or route is “zereo’d out”

I’ve never seen badge #1 ride around with 201 in the destination sign. There’s 1 or 2 operators that typically use that trick. 

😄

1 minute ago, LRT said:

32 minutes ago, downbeat said:

I guess things have escalated …

I wouldn’t go as far as saying escolated. The situation hasn’t gotten any worse.

Given that the incident is in the middle of an interlocking, a complete track closure allows Work to be done more efficiently and safely, with a complete power cut to both tracks. It was a matter of time before this happened, with primary goal of resuming regular operations for AM peak service.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pantograf said:

An unusual sight,  a U2 car is in the shop at AG and there was a 3-car consist for the rush hour  on the Blue line this morning. 

20210421_094404.jpg

Same 3 car consist is doing two round trips from Saddletowne this PM, will start it's second round trip at 16:41

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blake M said:

Same 3 car consist is doing two round trips from Saddletowne this PM, will start it's second round trip at 16:41

So supposedly there was something wrong with it, and everyone got kicked off at Whitehorn SB on it's second round trip. Train then went past the crossover, driver switched cabs, and went back through to Oliver Bowen. I don't know what killed it after a round trip but I was thoroughly disappointed to only get a 7 minute ride.

• Sad 1

On 4/21/2021 at 5:11 PM, Blake M said:

So supposedly there was something wrong with it, and everyone got kicked off at Whitehorn SB on it's second round trip. Train then went past the crossover, driver switched cabs, and went back through to Oliver Bowen. I don't know what killed it after a round trip but I was thoroughly disappointed to only get a 7 minute ride.

Positive Covid case contamination.

• Sad 5

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Any U2 consists out today? Would be only fitting.

"I'm not dead! I want to go for a walk!"

2060 - 2043 - 2038 just left City Hall heading to SaddletowneIMG_20210525_175921.thumb.jpg.2f69f21696aa4eeb63fb0c0fcf1569a4.jpg

• Like 7

On 5/25/2021 at 2:18 PM, downbeat said:

Happy 40th birthday, dear CTrain! 🥳

I was going to say: four decades later, the media barely mentioned the CTrain at all this week... considering how much Calgary relies & was built upon the CTrain since construction started in 1978, just seems odd that they wouldn't give it the time in the sun, headlines and interest-wise. Especially because without it, we would all be waiting for hours on end on the freeways to physically get anywhere  without it.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2021 at 3:54 PM, armorand said:

I was going to say: four decades later, the media barely mentioned the CTrain at all this week... considering how much Calgary relies & was built upon the CTrain since construction started in 1978, just seems odd that they wouldn't give it the time in the sun, headlines and interest-wise. Especially because without it, we would all be waiting for hours on end on the freeways to physically get anywhere  without it.

It's hardly front-page worthy, but it certainly wasn't ignored:

CBC: Calgary Transit celebrates 40 years of LRT service | CBC News

CTV: Calgary CTrain celebrates 40th anniversary | CTV News

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed that for the past week or so, trains have been moving at a glacial pace outside of 39th Avenue. Is there something wrong with the tracks, wires, or crossing?

50 minutes ago, Blake M said:

I've noticed that for the past week or so, trains have been moving at a glacial pace outside of 39th Avenue. Is there something wrong with the tracks, wires, or crossing?

FWIW, when my train passed that spot this afternoon, I saw a crew working on the track at the north side of 39th Avenue station. Couldn't quite see what they were doing though.

There have been some issues with the signals between Erlton and 39 Ave for the last 3 or 4 weeks. Last week, probably due to the high temps, it's gotten to a point where the signals were  dumping trains  on both tracks so on Friday, the speed across 39 Ave was reduced to 5 km/h and "half power" TO between Erlton and 39 Ave was issued. We also have a 10 km/h slow order at 7 Ave @ 9 St due to rail expansion.

• Like 4