Jump to content

General CTrain Discussion


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

I'm at Anderson and due to a car on the tracks earlier the next train to arrive will be about 30 minutes late. Even though theres a train 2 minutes behind that one, the first one didn't get short turned. How does a train recover from a 30 minutes delay if it never gets short turned? 

Anderson going what direction?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's easy to say from the outside that if you need Transit to get to work, you should just stay home - but the people that need Transit to go to work are some of the people we all need the most right

If 1 in 100 people have COVID, people won't be going out and stimulating the economy, never mind riding the bus. Ridership also suffers if bus drivers are forced to isolate. Please tone down the polit

Four-cars are back! Well, this consist anyway: 2248, 2245, 2247, 2224. Passing through Brentwood July 27 at 3PM. Edit: there're at least four consists out there - a refurb went southbound Brentwo

Posted Images

You shouldn’t typically short turn the first train - the people on there are already the most delayed, so it’s bad form to kick them off the train and delay them even more. You’re better off letting the first train run late, and short turn the second train - then they’re essentially running on each other’s times and you can do an operator swap up the line.  The second train is likely pretty empty since the train ahead is picking up everyone. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

You shouldn’t typically short turn the first train - the people on there are already the most delayed, so it’s bad form to kick them off the train and delay them even more. You’re better off letting the first train run late, and short turn the second train - then they’re essentially running on each other’s times and you can do an operator swap up the line.  The second train is likely pretty empty since the train ahead is picking up everyone. 

Yes I understand that I'm simply curious as to how any sort of schedule can be salvaged after a 30 minute delay if no trains get short turned

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Yes I understand that I'm simply curious as to how any sort of schedule can be salvaged after a 30 minute delay if no trains get short turned

Operator swaps.
 

Usually they try to restore the headway 1st, then they swap the operators to put them back on schedule and use the turnaround times at end terminals to make some times up. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning Blake M:

Sounds like your really interested in learning about railroads.  I attached a copy of the Canadian Railroad Operating Rules to this posting.  Please memorize the contents and who knows maybe one day you will be an LRT Operator for Calgary Transit.  Inside you will understand what "going against the current" is instead of short turning.  Your observation occurred at approximately 15:00 Sunday February 21st, 2021.  At that time a minimum of eight trains were operating on the "Red Line", or once every fifteen minutes.  After reading the PDF, you will understand how Rail Traffic Controllers solve these matters quickly.  LRT (A Very Intelligent Member) answered your question correctly and should be thanked profusely.

Thank you very much for the LIKE.

Canadian Railroad Operating Rules.pdf

Editor Note:  Thank you Pantograf and CTrainDude for your polite corrections

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CTrainDude said:

You shouldn’t typically short turn the first train - the people on there are already the most delayed, so it’s bad form to kick them off the train and delay them even more. You’re better off letting the first train run late, and short turn the second train - then they’re essentially running on each other’s times and you can do an operator swap up the line.  The second train is likely pretty empty since the train ahead is picking up everyone. 

Also might be a situation where a group of operators were all scheduled to get relieved in a row...where rebuilding your headway is delayed another half trip/trip

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Also might be a situation where a group of operators were all scheduled to get relieved in a row...where rebuilding your headway is delayed another half trip/trip

That’s always fun.... “look for operator such and such and take him with you yada yada yada...” 😄 then a short turn happens with a relief at the same time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LRT said:

That’s always fun.... “look for operator such and such and take him with you yada yada yada...” 😄 then a short turn happens with a relief at the same time. 

Yup... my old line “I dont care if you are supposed To be Key 6! We are playing secret santa and you drew Key 1! Now if you get lucky, you might finish 90 minutes early (not)”

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, armorand said:

Interesting! Wonder how that would have looked. It would have been a pretty useless station I would imagine unless some serious TOD happened there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick B said:

Interesting! Wonder how that would have looked. It would have been a pretty useless station I would imagine unless some serious TOD happened there.

Other thing too: why build the multi-million dollar station, when all they would need to do is just increase Route 10 service (to either feed at Chinook or take people directly to downtown) & Route 81 coverage of the area instead for pennies on the dollar? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blake M said:

2043 was eastbound on 7 Ave just now. Man I miss the U2's 😞

Well..... “rumour has it” since the U2s haven’t run for so long they may need mechanical inspections.

Also, from what I hear... the want to have a few spare U2 consist for change offs. 
 

I miss them too. 
 

For now... enjoy a few pictures of some in storage at Haysboro and OBMF I took yesterday.

 

5B061985-AB28-43AA-87B0-0F7DECE29B24.jpeg

07D8BBBD-CF93-433A-B00B-933EB398D4AD.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LRT said:

Well..... “rumour has it” since the U2s haven’t run for so long they may need mechanical inspections.

Also, from what I hear... the want to have a few spare U2 consist for change offs. 
 

I miss them too. 
 

For now... enjoy a few pictures of some in storage at Haysboro and OBMF I took yesterday.

 

5B061985-AB28-43AA-87B0-0F7DECE29B24.jpeg

07D8BBBD-CF93-433A-B00B-933EB398D4AD.jpeg

The two cars they have parked outside at Haysboro tease me every morning and afternoon when I go by 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly don't miss them when it's especially warm or cold out, or when they break down! 😆

This could be from a fever dream, but I recall reading something a while back that mentioned how the energy from the regenerative braking systems of all the newer trains is put to ground, and it has something to do with keeping the system compatible with U2s?

Doesn't make sense to me but it's been at the back of my mind for a while now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I am on a pre-refurb SD-160 consist (in 2264) and the route signs say "201" beside the usual Red Line/Tuscany rotation. First time seeing this!

Simple trick that the operator knows about when programming the signage! Lol. 
 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...