General CTrain Discussion

16 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

A stray electric arc would be a hell of a big problem. It's more along the lines of induced currents from the OCS. You'll even see metal benches and other furniture with grounding wires attached to them as well... I believe. I can't remember now if I saw that in Edmonton, Calgary or both. Edmonton doesn't have the raw chainlink fences quite like Calgary does so close to the right of way, but, I believe the newer sections with the decorative fencing are grounded. The grounding wires blend into the fences though. They aren't so ugly and noticeable like Calgary's.

Interesting, I'm assuming by OCS you're talking about the Occupancy Control System? 

What could these induced currents cause? 

16 hours ago, vicinity said:

It means your 16 kms from city hall station if memory serves 

I thought so... I guess The city decided kilometer 0 was monumental enough to put a nice plaque at the east end city hall station. 

17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

A stray electric arc would be a hell of a big problem. It's more along the lines of induced currents from the OCS. You'll even see metal benches and other furniture with grounding wires attached to them as well... I believe. I can't remember now if I saw that in Edmonton, Calgary or both. Edmonton doesn't have the raw chainlink fences quite like Calgary does so close to the right of way, but, I believe the newer sections with the decorative fencing are grounded. The grounding wires blend into the fences though. They aren't so ugly and noticeable like Calgary's. 

In the Montreal Metro system, all exposed metal objects such as trash cans are grounded. I haven't noticed if that's also the case in Toronto, but next time I'm there I'll look.

Considering what Somerset is like after dark  and especially after end of service when the peace officers usually sweep the LRV's and kick everybody off... I'm not surprised, but feel this could have been prevented, with more peace officer/CPS station sweeps overnight, at some of the... problem, stations. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/fatal-ctrain-somerset-bridlewood-pedestrian-1.5584624

Quick safety idea: how feasible is it, to fit Infrared trackers and sensor technology at & around the station platforms/crossings, to maybe prevent something like this in the future? If there was IR sensors to detect people on the tracks when they shouldn't be - especially if the tracks are dimly lit -  maybe it could try to prevent these sorts of tragedies? If theres no safety and security increases via personnel, maybe the best solution is increased safety sensors, more lights and enhanced CCTV?

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, armorand said:

Considering what Somerset is like after dark  and especially after end of service when the peace officers usually sweep the LRV's and kick everybody off... I'm not surprised, but feel this could have been prevented, with more peace officer/CPS station sweeps overnight, at some of the... problem, stations. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/fatal-ctrain-somerset-bridlewood-pedestrian-1.5584624

Quick safety idea: how feasible is it, to fit Infrared trackers and sensor technology at & around the station platforms/crossings, to maybe prevent something like this in the future? If there was IR sensors to detect people on the tracks when they shouldn't be - especially if the tracks are dimly lit -  maybe it could try to prevent these sorts of tragedies? If theres no safety and security increases via personnel, maybe the best solution is increased safety sensors, more lights and enhanced CCTV?

Anything is possible - all it takes is lots of money.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, armorand said:

They already have bells, lights, signage.

Sounds like a bottle picker may have been on the tracks, may have been the intoxicated stoned up or mental issues. 

I’ve seen it all...  Honestly there not much more you can do. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, armorand said:

Somerset is very safe station. I took the Somerset train daily at all hours of the day from when it opened in 2004 and used to drive the last trains of the night out if Somerset on a regular basis for many years. I never once had any concerns with the safety down there. When trains are being swept, DOAP team is often on hand to assist. As well, PS transport anyone left at the end of the night to a facility (such as alpha house). It’s not like they kick them off with no trains and leave them there for the community to deal with...

As for sensors and what not, they’d be going off non stop and would be ineffective. For every 1 unauthorized person reported to be on the ROW, i can safely say there are probably upwards of 30-40 that arent reported. This could be people using the tracks to cross 36 street or crowchild trail, people entering the ROW to pick bottles, people dropping stuff on the ROW and jumping down to pick it up, people jumping fences to cross the ROW, people that just want to go for a walk between stations, etc, etc, etc. I don’t think with the amount of open track that there is, anything (sensors, money, etc) could possibly fix the challanges we, and other at grade light rail systems, let alone heavy rail systems have around the world, in regards to tresspassing

• Like 5

My first CTrain ride today in a loooooooong time!

I’ve noticed new train arrival announcements at stations. The automated voice now says “The next (endpoint) train is arriving. Please stand behind the yellow line.” It still says “This train (endpoint)” once it is ready for boarding.

Also: sad to report few people wearing face coverings aboard the LRV I was riding.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 8:56 AM, armorand said:

Vancouver's SkyTrain system, being fully automated, is loaded with sensors including track intrusion.

1 hour ago, Mark Walton said:

Vancouver's SkyTrain system, being fully automated, is loaded with sensors including track intrusion.

Why did the trespasser cross the tracks? To get to the other side.

There are much fewer "other sides" on the SkyTrain guideway. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

How come the city has Bus location info public. But any location info related to CTrains are limited to the rail Control tracking boards.

I believe this was brought up some time ago in this same thread. The trains are not GPS tracked because operations don't require it.

1 hour ago, Nick B said:

I believe this was brought up some time ago in this same thread. The trains are not GPS tracked because operations don't require it.

Plus with the trains requiring tracks, tons of CCTV, signalling and everything involved too... i mean, if it was more of a Tram system, i could see a need for GPS. But under the current CTrain system - is it really necessary for GPS to be implemented on an LRV thats forced to stay on the tracks, in order to operate?

• 5 weeks later...

Four-cars are back! Well, this consist anyway: 2248, 2245, 2247, 2224. Passing through Brentwood July 27 at 3PM.

Edit: there're at least four consists out there - a refurb went southbound Brentwood at 3:33, a Series5/6/7 a bit later, and just now a Series 8 at 4:30.

P7273764.JPG

P7273767.JPG

P7273768.JPG

P7273769.JPG

P7273770.JPG

P7273771.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Interesting development, never thought TOD would come down there, but there is some questions....

1) why not use Route 81 as a feeder for the TOD? or actually... if a transit-only gate was installed along with an transit-only road, would Route 10 be able to just come across the tracks & serve the development in the meantime? With only a 10-15 minute walk to Chinook - granted, a walk that could use some brighter lighting and easier pathfinding - is the new infill station necessary? 

And 2) if this does get built, will Routes 10 & 81 be using it as a new terminus and opening up some bus bays at Chinook for future service expansion/overcrowding? Or would it strictly be an infill station, with no room for a bus terminus? Because what I was thinking: having even just a small terminus for Routes 10, 81 and 37 would bring quite a few benefits:

- route 10 could be shortened to Midtown (or use it as a mid-terminus point instead of Chinook), allowing it to stop directly on 61 Ave and shaving off some travel times, along with better neighborhood connections

- route 81 could directly transfer and offload people at Midtown, skipping the need to loop at Chinook & also shaving time

- route 37... weird proposal, but if its TOD and theres jobs in the area along Elbow Drive, would it maybe be of benefit to extend it to Midtown & provide direct connections to south Elbow Drive all the way down to Canyon Meadows? Same with the school as well - would be massive ridership boons to Route 37 (and Routes 3, 149, MT etc) if connected with surrounding areas.

Overall, I like the idea, but other than the slowdown of the LRT, the only other concern I would have is just the benefit of an extra LRT station (and expense) to the surrounding area, if its not intermingled and connected with the bus network as well. Without the bus network connecting it to Kingsland/Elbow Drive/SW neighborhoods, it'll be kind of like Banff Trail or Zoo station basically - without maximum utilization and benefit, on taxpayer money. Thats just on a strictly transit critique. Economically? This area NEEDS the development in the worst possible manner, as the neighborhoods basically rotting on either side of the tracks... so looking forward to it, just hoping that CT will think it out thoroughly & ensure the bus network matches up to the new TOD & infill station, for max benefit to CT coffers & CT riders. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Sounds like a winner to me, though I don't live in the area.

A little confused at the $50 million price tag for the additional train - I was under the impression that the S200s cost about $2 million each. Four of those makes $8 million. Where does the other $42 million come in?