General CTrain Discussion

4 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Has this ever happened?

The system is almost 40 years old - pretty much anything you could think of has happened.

4 hours ago, CTrainDude said:

The system is almost 40 years old - pretty much anything you could think of has happened.

The 2011 gas leak was one day I'll definitely never forget!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

The what now?

September 2011 natural gas leak, on 7th Ave downtown. Brought the trains to a halt. Trains were nightmarishly packed, and had to bus to University & hop on board there, just to get on board. After almost an hour of waiting for a train to Crowfoot. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, armorand said:

September 2011 natural gas leak, on 7th Ave downtown. Brought the trains to a halt. Trains were nightmarishly packed, and had to bus to University & hop on board there, just to get on board. After almost an hour of waiting for a train to Crowfoot. 

Miss work that day, tried to get from Franklin to Brentwood with no success 

1 hour ago, vicinity said:

Miss work that day, tried to get from Franklin to Brentwood with no success 

Definitely a show-stopping day for CT haha, especially without some of the MAX lines that came in years later, getting across the city that afternoon would've been the stuff of nightmares 😛 was visiting Calgary at the time it happened, and even to this day, I've never seen crazy like that, either in Winnipeg or here (since i moved - i wasn't in Calgary when 2015 turned downtown into Venice & washed out the LRT tracks).

Something I’ve been wondering for a while. What’re the differences between the different series of SD160 cars? Are the differences mostly superficial? Only the series 8 looks obviously different. But I think it’s just the face? The side (doors, windows, etc) looks the same to my eyes

9 minutes ago, huangyu said:

Something I’ve been wondering for a while. What’re the differences between the different series of SD160 cars? Are the differences mostly superficial? Only the series 8 looks obviously different. But I think it’s just the face? The side (doors, windows, etc) looks the same to my eyes

The 5, 6 and 7s are pretty much identical now except for the refurbs. When the 5s were new the bodies were a little bit different than the 6 and 7s but later the 5s were modified. They accommodated the steps that the Denver cars had but the steps weren’t there.. the bodies sat a little bit lower near the doors. The 5s also had extra sanders and an extra sander door near each boggie. The onboard system is very similar to a U2 with mechanical counter numbers. Those mechanical counting numbers are still used with the refurbs. 

I’m sure other members can add to this

• Like 1

I've noticed that about once or twice a year, there's a slow order for coming into Dalhousie northbound. I understand the freeze-thaw cycle probably wreaks havoc on the track and the wires, but it seems to always be Dalhousie northbound. Is there something different about that section of track? Just curious.

24 minutes ago, Blake M said:

I've noticed that about once or twice a year, there's a slow order for coming into Dalhousie northbound. I understand the freeze-thaw cycle probably wreaks havoc on the track and the wires, but it seems to always be Dalhousie northbound. Is there something different about that section of track? Just curious.

From what I’ve noticed over the years a huge puddle forms on Crowchild and splashes onto the right of way... that might have something to do with washing away the track bed ever so slightly

On 3/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, LRT said:

The 5, 6 and 7s are pretty much identical now except for the refurbs. When the 5s were new the bodies were a little bit different than the 6 and 7s but later the 5s were modified. They accommodated the steps that the Denver cars had but the steps weren’t there.. the bodies sat a little bit lower near the doors. The 5s also had extra sanders and an extra sander door near each boggie. The onboard system is very similar to a U2 with mechanical counter numbers. Those mechanical counting numbers are still used with the refurbs. 

I’m sure other members can add to this

These pictures show some clues to refurbs.

20 hours ago, LRT said:

From what I’ve noticed over the years a huge puddle forms on Crowchild and splashes onto the right of way... that might have something to do with washing away the track bed ever so slightly

Seems dangerous, maybe Crowchild Trail could use a manhole or something, to help drain these?

I drove downtown yesterday right at 5pm to grab a prescription refill and a few things from the office. Counted several instances of trains in the core with on average 5-7 people per car, 1-2 by the time they were passing Dalhousie.

9 hours ago, downbeat said:

Well, trains will come less frequently starting Monday … 

With everything closed as well, theres not even any incentive to go anywhere... its going to become a miserable commute, if this keeps continuing, with the virus now shutting down everything in its path.

4 hours ago, downbeat said:

New, limited opening hours for certain station buildings.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/station-hours

"Due to large crowding within this building"

"Safety concerns"

I went through Southland to get to work, on Sunday. There was about a dozen homeless people camping out and sleeping, within the station itself. Previous visits to the station included: stolen TV's laying around, open drug use, people looking for cigarette butts on the tracks, or passed out cold behind the ticket vendors... 

I guess my next question is: was it out of actual health reasons though? Or has CT finally decided to do away, with security and safety lapses along some of its South LRT stations (hinted at by the remodelling of Anderson), and just clear it out once & for all, to lessen the coverage needed for security, along with potentially readying the stations for demolition/reconstruction, as indicated by numerous plans and developments?

Also as an economic stimulus? Nenshi did mention an "economic stimulus plan", and if CT can't get any NE extensions, further MAX lines or Green Line construction started ASAP... how much of a stimulus would it be, to demolish all of the station buildings from the 1980s, and rebuild them akin to what happened with Chinook, 39th Avenue, or Anderson? All at once, it could provide hundreds of jobs at the same time, but on a station by station basis... how much of a stimulus would it be? 

Oh also: if Southland and Heritage are closed, will they at least throw in some more CCTV and bright lights, between the "new" entry onto the platform, and the buses? After all, if it's supposedly for "health and safety", I'd feel better using that route to get to/from the train, if there was actual lights and security incentives for late at night/early in the morning.

It's been interesting watching ETS and CT respond to Covid. In my opinion, ETS seems to be a few steps ahead of CT.

Literally last night ETS started setting up points to do sweeps of trains for those that might be using transit for anything other than going from point A to point B. And of course, it's not just booting them off transit, they're putting them on charter buses to places where they can help, have something to do etc. The sweeps will then expand to certain hot spots as they can arrange manpower. Last night I saw Animal Control peace officers assisting the operation at Century Park. 

As a passenger, and a passenger riding some particularly far flung routes to get to work deep in suburbia, I've even noticed more disorder than usual. Personally, I've never felt unsafe, but, it has been reassuring to see ETS starting to deal with this particular problem.

Curious if there's a difference with the way Edmonton's Union and Calgary's Union have approached these issues? I have no clue about Calgary's, but Edmonton's has raised all sorts of hell over social disorder.

• Like 1

I wonder if there’s yet more enforcement/changes coming down later: the mayor mentioned yesterday during the city’s COVID-19 briefing there were things he couldn’t talk about right now.

3 hours ago, downbeat said:

I wonder if there’s yet more enforcement/changes coming down later: the mayor mentioned yesterday during the city’s COVID-19 briefing there were things he couldn’t talk about right now.

Already underway but like several police and security departments, the specifics and details are often classified information.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

It's been interesting watching ETS and CT respond to Covid. In my opinion, ETS seems to be a few steps ahead of CT.

Literally last night ETS started setting up points to do sweeps of trains for those that might be using transit for anything other than going from point A to point B. And of course, it's not just booting them off transit, they're putting them on charter buses to places where they can help, have something to do etc. The sweeps will then expand to certain hot spots as they can arrange manpower. Last night I saw Animal Control peace officers assisting the operation at Century Park. 

As a passenger, and a passenger riding some particularly far flung routes to get to work deep in suburbia, I've even noticed more disorder than usual. Personally, I've never felt unsafe, but, it has been reassuring to see ETS starting to deal with this particular problem.

Curious if there's a difference with the way Edmonton's Union and Calgary's Union have approached these issues? I have no clue about Calgary's, but Edmonton's has raised all sorts of hell over social disorder.

Considering the events that have happened on ETS, I could definitely see their Union raising some massive red flags (not going into specifics)... but yeah, curious why Calgary's only now, is starting to get (back) on board with the security sweeps. Minus the pre-existing issues and economic "pre-depression recession", it just felt like it could have been foreseen and solved, ahead of critical time junctures...

I have to head to work later tonight too, so I might be able to see the situation on my way to work. I'll admit though - by closing the station buildings but not finding solutions to the problem (like the ETS solution), they will just scatter to different stations, such as 39th Avenue, Chinook, Somerset etc. If not onto CT property, maybe onto nearby residential areas, industrial zones or something too. 

Maybe CT and Nenshi could look into direct bus connections to the temporary homeless shelter at First Alliance? Anderson has a bus route (150) that goes there as well, so maybe enhanced service on the 150 may solve the problem and allow CT to monitor the situation on a bus route that actively travels directly to the CTrain, so it could prevent some of the issues from occuring beforehand? 

This entire industry is messed up. No one’s been ready for anything like this. There’s operators in the US are dying like you wouldn’t believe. Even with the safety precautions put in place such as mask, gloves and a social distancing. 

Transit should be shut down. 

I get that it’s an essential service. Transit is helping spread this virus. People should be staying home. If you can’t get to work because transit’s not there all the more reasons to stay home. 

The government has made it so your employer can’t fire you because of COVID-19.

The government has made it you’re unable to work they will financially help you.

Different bank institutions and credit card agencies will help you defer your payments for up to six months without penalty. 

Stay home, reboot, reset. 

Life will come back as we knew it soon enough as long as everybody stays home!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peace officers doing downtown fare checks

To help reduce incidents of public disorder and improve fare compliance, we’re putting uniformed Calgary Transit peace officers at both ends of the downtown core at our 7th Street West and City Hall South stations. They are boarding outbound CTrain cars at these stations and checking passengers for valid tickets or passes before the cars disembark.

When encountering passengers who are unable to produce valid fares, peace officers are asking these individuals to leave the train, purchase a fare and catch the next train.We are not issuing these individuals provincial violation tickets for fare evasion offences. Calgary Police Service members are on-hand at our 7th Street West and City Hall South stations to assist.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/staying-safe-during-covid-19-outbreak

Some additional updates at http://www.calgarytransit.com/news/faq-covid-safety

1 minute ago, 1604 said:

Really?? I thought that power was taken away from the peace officers years ago by the province. 

And now all of a sudden they’re ununiformed?