General CTrain Discussion

A recent thought came to me. 

The bell/horn on series 5+ cars is simply a looping sound sample of some sort driven into a bullhorn. 

Do they do this because of cost? (virtual is cheaper) than separate physical horn and bell. Or Is it that a real train horn would be too loud? Or is it both? 

2 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

A recent thought came to me. 

The bell/horn on series 5+ cars is simply a looping sound sample of some sort driven into a bullhorn. 

Do they do this because of cost? (virtual is cheaper) than separate physical horn and bell. Or Is it that a real train horn would be too loud? Or is it both? 

A real train horn is an airhorn. None of Calgary Transit's LRVs are equipped with air compressors so that's why they went electronic. 

The series 5, 6 and 7s and maybe even the series 8s are actually equipped with a real mechanical bell and as long as they haven't gone through the refurbishment project they're still equipped with that mechanical bell

The problem with the bells is in the winter time they would fill up with snow and they wouldn't work. That's why they went with electronic MP3 version of a bell back in 2010 I believe.

Does anyone know what that structure outside the Calgary Trade Centre is?  I feel like it's ventilation for the CP Tunnel as I hear trains deep below it whenever I'm in that area. 

5 hours ago, thager said:

If you mean the thing I circled,  then yes most likely for the c-train tunnel. 

Screenshot_20191211-191214_Maps.jpg

Speaking of the CTrain tunnel... I'm curious.

Okay, so the Red Line was supposed to originally pull an Edmonton & go underground. It stayed above ground, instead.

Nearly 40 years later:

- both Red and Blue at full capacity on 7th Ave

- Calgary Transit cash crunch on the Green line. 

- Green Line needing a billion or so, to tunnel through Downtown Calgary and into the north.

The thing is: 7th Avenue might be congested rail-wise, but theres STILL space for the low-rise platforms needed for the low-floor LRV's, all up and down the street. So my idea is:

If the Red Line tunnel gets completely built out, and transferred underground, while the Blue line stays on the surface & has more room for future frequency growth, would it be possible to shave off hundreds of millions off the Green Line, by just adding a few low-platform stations in between the high-level platforms, some track switches, and then save the Green Line tunnels for anything north of Eau Claire/Bow River? It might just save enough money for Calgary Transit & for the city as well. 

If they cut the expansion across the river too and just build a temporary terminus station at Eau Claire too (example: NAIT in Edmonton), theoretically that would save tons of money, and dare even allow an LRT expansion south of Shepard, so theoretically the SE line could be fully built out & filled to the brim, with all of those 60 footers then being thrown onto Centre St, for tons of extra service and capacity. 

Thoughts?

13 hours ago, thager said:

If you mean the thing I circled,  then yes most likely for the c-train tunnel. 

Screenshot_20191211-191214_Maps.jpg

Yeah that's it. At first I thought maybe it might be an emergency exit similar to Cemetery Hill tunnel but it also appears to have ventilation so I'm not sure. 

Speaking of Cemetery Hill... Has anyone here ever experienced or heard stories about trains breaking down in the Cemetery Hill tunnel? What is the procedure if moving the train is not possible?

1 hour ago, nsCEO said:

Speaking of Cemetery Hill... Has anyone here ever experienced or heard stories about trains breaking down in the Cemetery Hill tunnel? What is the procedure if moving the train is not possible?

I've personally evacuated a train in "a tunnel" simply wait for help every car gets evacuated one car at a time and everyone walks out. 

That's about it.

As far as the evacuation exit in the Cemetery tunnel I don't think its ever been used.

I think the only way they'd ever use that emergency exit would be if there's literally no other way to exit the tunnel - they're not getting passengers to climb through there and up all those ladders...

Good point! Elderly are quite common and I think they would rather walk the rest of the way. 😂

Edit:

Here's a scenario though. Let's say somehow the tunnel caves in. At both ends. Then maybe... It's the only way. 

On another note... Anyone have any idea why the southland escalator has been broken for almost two weeks? I see ThyssenKrupp there a few times but they don't seem to finish the job. 

12 hours ago, nsCEO said:

Good point! Elderly are quite common and I think they would rather walk the rest of the way. 😂

Edit:

Here's a scenario though. Let's say somehow the tunnel caves in. At both ends. Then maybe... It's the only way. 

On another note... Anyone have any idea why the southland escalator has been broken for almost two weeks? I see ThyssenKrupp there a few times but they don't seem to finish the job. 

Probably waiting on parts.

23 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

Do the heaters under the middle accessible seats on the Series (6/7? ) ever work? I have seen them on maybe twice. 

20191227_182855.jpg

Some of the wall heaters on the SD 160s have been disabled for whatever reason but if they’re working they sure are toasty

23 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

What's the purpose of these random spare chunks of rail at certain points of the system? This is just on the south side of the Bow River bridge between Sunnyside and downtown, but I know there are others.

20200128_085351.jpg

There called “jordan rails” Designed to keep the train somewhat on the tracks in case the train derails. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nsCEO said:

I sure wish Transit55 had data for both "asphalt and steel" as in why isn't there a real time map for the LRT cars?

Transit55 technically doesn’t “have” any data. Transit55 simply has access to the real time data provided by the City of Calgary and manipulates it (commendably) to provide the information on Transit55.

As for why not trains? The movement of LRVs is not tracked by GPS.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, Gsgeek540 said:

Transit55 technically doesn’t “have” any data. Transit55 simply has access to the real time data provided by the City of Calgary and manipulates it (commendably) to provide the information on Transit55.

As for why not trains? The movement of LRVs is not tracked by GPS.

A shame too, I might just watch that all day.

I know there are sources out there based on schedule data but it's not the same.

Definitely a busy night on the trains, last night. Haven't seen a weekend U2 consist in ages... also haven't seen cops drive up past the curb anywhere south of Chinook ever, until last night either.

It was reassuring to see at least some level of security, but when the transit officers only came right after with just one person in the van... would that be transit cuts in effect? If so, it might explain the declining security situation, at some of the train stations, if theres only one peace officer out for almost a whole section of CTrain line... would also explain the cops de facto taking over station security at Chinook lately, so I've been noticing on my train rides home from work.

• Confused 1