General CTrain Discussion

On 1/3/2023 at 6:38 PM, downbeat said:

It was bound to happen: I noticed for the first time the train announcing “Welcome  to the TD free fare zone” as we went eastbound from Downtown West to 8 Street West. 
The Transit app also “speaks” that designation when it announces stations in the free fare zone. 

And when you are leaving the TD Free Fare Zone?

17 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

And when you are leaving the TD Free Fare Zone?

I finally heard it yesterday. Not exactly word for word but it was something like:  "You are now leaving the TD Free Fare Zone. A fare is required to travel beyond this station."

3 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I just noticed this morning that the inside windows for the operator cab on the S200s (or at least one of them) is now tinted.

My apologies if I've ever creeped out an operator staring over their shoulder. I just think the screens are neat!

Work in progress for entire fleet. Not for preventing the public from looking in. To prevent significant and at times dangerous amount of glare and reflection. I’ve driven one. Didnt really notice a difference.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, green_line_26 said:

That's interesting. I remember somebody was thinking glare could be a problem with the glass cab, but after all these years with no tint I assumed it was never an issue 

Good to hear it’s finally happening. 

No… I would only assume because management was pushing the glass wall for a new passenger experience, It took this long to finally tint that glass wall.

it was absolutely painful to operate one of those series 9 cars with the amount of glare that would come through that glass wall and reflect off the windshield. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

New automated PA message heard at Crowfoot this morning: "Attention. Loitering is not permitted. Please leave the station." (paraphrasing a bit).

Unfortunately necessary.

That should be highly effective! ?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LRT said:

That should be highly effective! ?

I mean, it has to all be part of an overall effort, right? Unless you instantly rip off every enclosure on every station and install anti-sleeping spikes in every nook and cranny, patrolled by armed guards with dogs that shoot bees when they bark, you take what little steps you can to make stations like Crowfoot a little less welcoming.

Besides, with some of the states people are in, I wouldn't be surprised if a few hear the message and semi consciously shuffle off.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:52 AM, chills_on_the_train said:

New automated PA message heard at Crowfoot this morning: "Attention. Loitering is not permitted. Please leave the station." (paraphrasing a bit).

Unfortunately necessary.

I once heard a message like that in Tuscany Station when it was new and I was taking pictures there. I just ignored it; nothing happened.

12 hours ago, thager said:

I cam across this reddit thread about the original c-train concept.  

If those stations on 7th Ave had been in the middle of the road as proposed it could have made driving down the road interesting!

I do remember seeing a proposal somewhere that they wanted to put the line behind Chinook Mall, near Elbow Drive. Now I need to see if I can find it!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

7th Avenue LED lighting upgrade looks complete - I think all station lighting has now been swapped as well as the streetlights and sidewalk lighting in between stations.

No TD free fare zone signage yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.calgarytransit.com/content/transit/en/home/news/7th-avenue-lighting-upgrades-.html

7th Avenue Lighting Upgrades – Improved visibility for our customers
Calgary Transit has recently upgraded the lighting on all CTrain platforms from Downtown West/Kerby to City Hall, to improve visibility for customers and security staff.

This important upgrade is one of many measures that we are implementing to fulfill our commitment to customer safety. Enhanced lighting allows security cameras to capture clearer footage of platform activity and enables greater visibility across and within platforms

As part of a coordinated, multi-faceted approach to safety, Calgary Transit is prioritizing increased transit patrols, enhanced surveillance and coordinated response. The improvement of the lighting on all CTrain platforms from Downtown West/Kerby to City Hall aids in enhanced surveillance and is an important step to activating system-wide changes for the safety of Calgarians.

In addition to significantly improving visibility, the upgraded fixtures use highly efficient LED lights which will serve to reduce overall energy consumption and minimize maintenance costs for the next 10 years.

“Calgarians and customers will notice the drastic difference in the increased lighting levels" says Sharon Fleming, Director of Calgary Transit. "As we continue to take steps to improve transit riders' safety and customer comfort, increased visibility is key to helping our team investigate situations and dispatch personnel as quickly as possible.”

1920_lightingnewsrelease1200px.thumb.jpg.6399f2efca186c75933ef017c0266632.jpg

8-street-sw-station.thumb.jpeg.9ab51a99dfa6cab4a129928a1f682b25.jpeg

3-street-sw-station.thumb.jpeg.b2500b0ae178bee8578fb1105e9290c7.jpeg

olympic-plaza.thumb.jpeg.fb6c3a5be1dff863dba8ae155bdcd198.jpeg

city-hall-station.thumb.jpeg.90cbf0f08e932ce3402da400d1ba1d60.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/calgarys-light-rail-transit-system-past-present-and-future/

11 April 2023
Calgary’s Light Rail Transit system: Past, Present and Future

A new display in the Calgary Municipal Building is bringing life to the history and future of Calgary’s CTrain system. The display, located on the west side of Council Chambers, showcases historical artifacts, photos, and maps of the Light Rail Transit (LRT) system since its inception in 1981.

The display cases also feature models of three different Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs), including Calgary Transit’s original LRVs, which are still in use today, and new low-floor LRVs for the Green Line. Notably, the Green Line LRV model is made of LEGO®, built by two City of Calgary firefighters who were recently contestants on the popular TV show LEGO® Masters.

Citizens are encouraged to check out the display and see how our CTrain system has grown since its humble beginnings in 1981, when there was just one train line (Anderson to Downtown), 10.9 kilometres of track and 16 stations.  Plans for future extensions to the Red and Blue Lines, plus the addition of the Green Line, will eventually see our system grow to over 80 stations and more than 100 kilometres of track.

The display will be in the atrium of the Municipal Building (800 Macleod Trail SE) from April through August 2023. Stop by for a visit and see how our Light Rail Transit system has grown and will continue to expand in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1