General CTrain Discussion

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

I'm at Anderson and due to a car on the tracks earlier the next train to arrive will be about 30 minutes late. Even though theres a train 2 minutes behind that one, the first one didn't get short turned. How does a train recover from a 30 minutes delay if it never gets short turned? 

Anderson going what direction?

You shouldn’t typically short turn the first train - the people on there are already the most delayed, so it’s bad form to kick them off the train and delay them even more. You’re better off letting the first train run late, and short turn the second train - then they’re essentially running on each other’s times and you can do an operator swap up the line.  The second train is likely pretty empty since the train ahead is picking up everyone. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

You shouldn’t typically short turn the first train - the people on there are already the most delayed, so it’s bad form to kick them off the train and delay them even more. You’re better off letting the first train run late, and short turn the second train - then they’re essentially running on each other’s times and you can do an operator swap up the line.  The second train is likely pretty empty since the train ahead is picking up everyone. 

Yes I understand that I'm simply curious as to how any sort of schedule can be salvaged after a 30 minute delay if no trains get short turned

26 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Yes I understand that I'm simply curious as to how any sort of schedule can be salvaged after a 30 minute delay if no trains get short turned

Operator swaps.

Usually they try to restore the headway 1st, then they swap the operators to put them back on schedule and use the turnaround times at end terminals to make some times up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CTrainDude said:

Also might be a situation where a group of operators were all scheduled to get relieved in a row...where rebuilding your headway is delayed another half trip/trip

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Also might be a situation where a group of operators were all scheduled to get relieved in a row...where rebuilding your headway is delayed another half trip/trip

That’s always fun.... “look for operator such and such and take him with you yada yada yada...” ? then a short turn happens with a relief at the same time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LRT said:

That’s always fun.... “look for operator such and such and take him with you yada yada yada...” ? then a short turn happens with a relief at the same time. 

Yup... my old line “I dont care if you are supposed To be Key 6! We are playing secret santa and you drew Key 1! Now if you get lucky, you might finish 90 minutes early (not)”

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, armorand said:

Interesting! Wonder how that would have looked. It would have been a pretty useless station I would imagine unless some serious TOD happened there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick B said:

Interesting! Wonder how that would have looked. It would have been a pretty useless station I would imagine unless some serious TOD happened there.

Other thing too: why build the multi-million dollar station, when all they would need to do is just increase Route 10 service (to either feed at Chinook or take people directly to downtown) & Route 81 coverage of the area instead for pennies on the dollar? 

1 minute ago, Blake M said:

2043 was eastbound on 7 Ave just now. Man I miss the U2's ?

Well..... “rumour has it” since the U2s haven’t run for so long they may need mechanical inspections.

Also, from what I hear... the want to have a few spare U2 consist for change offs. 

I miss them too. 

For now... enjoy a few pictures of some in storage at Haysboro and OBMF I took yesterday.

5B061985-AB28-43AA-87B0-0F7DECE29B24.jpeg

07D8BBBD-CF93-433A-B00B-933EB398D4AD.jpeg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, LRT said:

Well..... “rumour has it” since the U2s haven’t run for so long they may need mechanical inspections.

Also, from what I hear... the want to have a few spare U2 consist for change offs. 

I miss them too. 

For now... enjoy a few pictures of some in storage at Haysboro and OBMF I took yesterday.

5B061985-AB28-43AA-87B0-0F7DECE29B24.jpeg

07D8BBBD-CF93-433A-B00B-933EB398D4AD.jpeg

The two cars they have parked outside at Haysboro tease me every morning and afternoon when I go by ?

I certainly don't miss them when it's especially warm or cold out, or when they break down! ?

This could be from a fever dream, but I recall reading something a while back that mentioned how the energy from the regenerative braking systems of all the newer trains is put to ground, and it has something to do with keeping the system compatible with U2s?

Doesn't make sense to me but it's been at the back of my mind for a while now.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I am on a pre-refurb SD-160 consist (in 2264) and the route signs say "201" beside the usual Red Line/Tuscany rotation. First time seeing this!

Simple trick that the operator knows about when programming the signage! Lol. 

• Like 3