General CTrain Discussion

2 hours ago, LRT said:

This entire industry is messed up. No one’s been ready for anything like this. There’s operators in the US are dying like you wouldn’t believe. Even with the safety precautions put in place such as mask, gloves and a social distancing. 

Transit should be shut down. 

I get that it’s an essential service. Transit is helping spread this virus. People should be staying home. If you can’t get to work because transit’s not there all the more reasons to stay home. 

The government has made it so your employer can’t fire you because of COVID-19.

The government has made it you’re unable to work they will financially help you.

Different bank institutions and credit card agencies will help you defer your payments for up to six months without penalty. 

Stay home, reboot, reset. 

Life will come back as we knew it soon enough as long as everybody stays home!

It's easy to say from the outside that if you need Transit to get to work, you should just stay home - but the people that need Transit to go to work are some of the people we all need the most right now.  It's the teenagers and lower income folks that stock shelves, deliver groceries, and clean hospitals - we need these people, and there's a lot of them that can't buy a car or afford taxis.  

If they stop Transit, you don't think they'd keep paying Operators, do you?  There's nothing the government can do to stop them from laying off people, and wage subsidies will always run out.  I'm thankful for transit operators all over that are currently at work - they do provide an essential service in very difficult times.  And I know people working at Transit now that are thankful to be working.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Northbound lead car 2336 - first set of wheels on the front bogie jumped the track and the first set of wheels on the front bogie of the center car 2334 jumped the track. South car 2328 was not affected. It would appear that the rails were not fastened properly and the train split them apart. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, downbeat said:

Vintage photo at SAIT accompanying this Calgary Transit tweet!

Honestly, I wish there was more CT historical pictures, videos etc, online. Considering the rich history of Calgary Transit, they must be hiding TONS of it, somewhere... why not share it? Especially to digitize them & make it available for everybody. 

I'd comment on the building closures, but I'm really not surprised about the closures, after what I've seen at those three stations before... SAIT and ACAD have no access either. Both closed.

6 hours ago, armorand said:

Honestly, I wish there was more CT historical pictures, videos etc, online. Considering the rich history of Calgary Transit, they must be hiding TONS of it, somewhere... why not share it? Especially to digitize them & make it available for everybody. 

I'd comment on the building closures, but I'm really not surprised about the closures, after what I've seen at those three stations before... SAIT and ACAD have no access either. Both closed.

There’s a lot of historic pieces you can find at the central public library in DT. I found so many cool artifacts last summer. Go take a look when they reopen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, armorand said:

I’ve got about 20 slides of Ctrain stuff from the early 80s that need to be converted to digital. Very cool stuff!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, armorand said:

why not share it? Especially to digitize them & make it available for everybody. 

Time, money, and priorities? 

Trust me. Digitizing a collection is a hell of a lot of work, and it's probably not a high priority for a transit agency, especially if it costs money.

There's also probably a lot less out there than you might think directly from CT. Other source are another issue, but, then, time, money and priorities for them as well.

Even for me to share it through Barp or Flickr, it costs me money to share it for free, of course, my priorities can change if there money involved for me!

2 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Time, money, and priorities? 

Trust me. Digitizing a collection is a hell of a lot of work, and it's probably not a high priority for a transit agency, especially if it costs money.

There's also probably a lot less out there than you might think directly from CT. Other source are another issue, but, then, time, money and priorities for them as well.

I’m looking at spending about $70 to get mine digitized. I used to have a scanner that could do slides but got rid of it years ago. 

London Drugs can do it on site. 

Maybe one day soon

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

Next round of CTrain maintenance on Victoria Day weekend:

I'm curious why there's not more LRT maintenance, while riderships down 70%. With only 30% of the riders max, maybe they could shut down the whole of the West line to 69th St, and just clear the entire maintenance schedule on that end in one fell swoop, so then they could focus on the other three corners over the rest of the year. 

1 hour ago, armorand said:

I'm curious why there's not more LRT maintenance, while riderships down 70%. With only 30% of the riders max, maybe they could shut down the whole of the West line to 69th St, and just clear the entire maintenance schedule on that end in one fell swoop, so then they could focus on the other three corners over the rest of the year. 

It’s probably all timed, plus I’m sure they don’t have all the money in the world right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, armorand said:

A couple reasons...

These projects are thoroughly scheduled and thoroughly planned months, if not years in advance. In most cases, there are dozens of contractors performing work, along side transit staff that all has to be synchronized.

In addition, with manufacturing shut down around the world, parts are starting becoming a premium. TTC has come out and said they’d love to do some work but can’t get parts at the moment.

A full West LRT closure has already happened within the last year. If i am not mistaken, there is another one scheduled.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions someone might be able to answer. 

1. Why do all the fences along the line have to be grounded? I notice ground wires along the line. 

2.  What is this sign for?

Is this a distance marker? 

Attached to this post

20200519_145843.jpg

6 hours ago, nsCEO said:

1. Why do all the fences along the line have to be grounded? I notice ground wires along the line. 

Attached to this post

20200519_145843.jpg

1) if my welding and electrical experience have shown me, stray electrical arc from the (in this case) pantographs and electrical lines, could be kept in metallic onjects that aren't grounded until someone/something touches it - in which case, electrical shock can potentially result in death. That's my guess though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, armorand said:

1) if my welding and electrical experience have shown me, stray electrical arc from the (in this case) pantographs and electrical lines, could be kept in metallic onjects that aren't grounded until someone/something touches it - in which case, electrical shock can potentially result in death. That's my guess though. 

A stray electric arc would be a hell of a big problem. It's more along the lines of induced currents from the OCS. You'll even see metal benches and other furniture with grounding wires attached to them as well... I believe. I can't remember now if I saw that in Edmonton, Calgary or both. Edmonton doesn't have the raw chainlink fences quite like Calgary does so close to the right of way, but, I believe the newer sections with the decorative fencing are grounded. The grounding wires blend into the fences though. They aren't so ugly and noticeable like Calgary's. 

7 hours ago, nsCEO said:

Attached to this post

20200519_145843.jpg

It means your 16 kms from city hall station if memory serves 

• Like 1