General CTrain Discussion

49 minutes ago, Pantograf said:

Well, looks like the long anticipated 15 minute headway on the 201 & 202 on weekends and late nights is finally coming, starting with the September sign-up.

15 minute headways already start around 10 pm weekdays from Somerset and Saddletowne. Will this now be starting earlier?

4 hours ago, Pantograf said:

That's a temporary string of construction lights until the portal transition lights get fixed.

Well, looks like the long anticipated 15 minute headway on the 201 & 202 on weekends and late nights is finally coming, starting with the September sign-up.

Probably an easy way to save money, and honestly probably more representative of the ridership anyway.

5 hours ago, CTrainDude said:

Probably an easy way to save money, and honestly probably more representative of the ridership anyway.

Wait, as in the frequency on both C-train lines would be reduced to every 15 min? That would be a disaster. It was ridership that boosted service on weekends to 10 min from 15 min more than a decade ago. 

31 minutes ago, DarkKeyo said:

Wait, as in the frequency on both C-train lines would be reduced to every 15 min? That would be a disaster. It was ridership that boosted service on weekends to 10 min from 15 min more than a decade ago. 

I use the train a lot on weekends … unless some special event is happening it’s never busy to the point of overflowing. 

If they manage to run only four-car trains instead of three-cars trains, the loss of capacity would be minimal. (3 cars x 6/hour vs 4 cars x 4/hour)

A pair of Blue line trains immediately after each other at around 2:30 am last night. Was there a delay at some point? Meanwhile, GMaps said there was a Red Line train heading to Tuscany for around the same time, but never showed up to my platform (7th st).

P7071265.JPG

3 minutes ago, TimmyC62 said:

A pair of Blue line trains immediately after each other at around 2:30 am last night. Was there a delay at some point? Meanwhile, GMaps said there was a Red Line train heading to Tuscany for around the same time, but never showed up to my platform (7th st).

P7071265.JPG

Expect to see some pretty cool movements during stampede!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 10:14 AM, Pantograf said:

That's a temporary string of construction lights until the portal transition lights get fixed.

Is this 15 minutes all day weekends?

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, nsCEO said:

The loop... What exactly is it's purpose? Trains have an "over loop indicator" are these loops some sort of safety feature? 

It’s essentially how the train speaks to the signal system to tell it where the train should go - and also to cancel/activate routing, crossing protection, and transmit the train information (key, destination).  It also tracks train locations on 7 Avenue. 

It's also a b***h if you stop your train in the middle of the figure 8 of the loop and control asks you to cancel your crossing gates or your selection at an interlocking like 01A (City Hall)

Theres a dead spot in that area of the loop and the train cannot communicate with the system. ?

2 minutes ago, TimmyC62 said:

When it says something needs to be 'Control Authorized', is that hardwired/coded in or does that just mean you need to ask for permission?

There's procedures that can be done but control needs to give permission. It's not hardwired at all it's all verbal and there needs to be a clear understanding between control on the operator before there's a procedure made. 

Just now, armorand said:

I was in Calgary when Olympic Park still existed, but 3 St SE? That ones new for me ? when did it exist/get torn down?

It got torn down when they twin City Hall platforms opened.

To me that felt like yesterday when 3rd Street East and Olympic Plaza stations were opened.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it too early to know whether late weekday evenings and weekends will be covered by four-car trains? Seeing how full some of the eastbound Blue Line trains currently are between 9 and 11 p.m. on weeknights, it would be advantageous to assign longer trains to those keys, especially with the frequency reduction. 

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

Is it too early to know whether late weekday evenings and weekends will be covered by four-car trains? Seeing how full some of the eastbound Blue Line trains currently are between 9 and 11 p.m. on weeknights, it would be advantageous to assign longer trains to those keys, especially with the frequency reduction. 

People just need to learn how to spread out more. Plenty times I've been at Marlborough between 9 and 10pm and seen the front car with not too many people, the middle car empty, and the back car packed.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Blake M said:

People just need to learn how to spread out more. Plenty times I've been at Marlborough between 9 and 10pm and seen the front car with not too many people, the middle car empty, and the back car packed.

If only we used articulated multiple units … that would help passengers circulate throughout the train after boarding!

18 hours ago, downbeat said:

If only we used articulated multiple units … that would help passengers circulate throughout the train after boarding!

Would make the fare evaders & peace officers jobs alot more interesting... 

But yeah, could definitely see the benefits of that on the Red Line.