General CTrain Discussion

4 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Was great to see an expanded CT presence at Supertrain this past weekend compared to some previous years. A new (to me) card model for the S200s was available (though simplified from previous versions), and a pantograph was on display (they lowered it up and down), as well as a wheel/tire exhibit with souvenir profiles.

There was quite the push last year from some of the staff that have volunteered at the booth over the last several years *cough cough* for some change, as last year, we were actually being called out for our booth being exactly the the same as years past and in some cases, out dated. Although i was not apart of it this year, from the information they provided in their call out for volunteers, and the pictures and what not posted here, it sounds like they achieved that quite well.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, downbeat said:

What’s with the slow order eastbound on the Blue Line between Deerfoot and Barlow/Max Bell station? Seems to have been going on for a while now. 

Rough Track. Was probably a frost heave but seems to have become a bit more stable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to putting together the new S200 card model - it's scaled a little bigger than the old one, with a wider gauge and longer body. The end bottom flaps need to be modified to allow the sides to bend inwards to meet the narrower width of the vertical ends. 

IMG_20190515_165117.jpg

IMG_20190515_165128.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, green_line_26 said:

When the Red Line is moved under 8 Ave, what will happen with the Central Library end of the CPR tunnel? Will it be storage, rented out, or perhaps an entrance to the City Hall red line station?

I don't think we're going to see that happening anytime soon at least in my lifetime. There is no planning set up in the near future for that to happen.

If anything like that would ever happen I would imagine the tunnel section under the library and the interlocking would probably remain the same.

It would be really cool to see a Red line train detour onto Blue Line tracks to get through a disruption or something...

• Like 3

They would need to maintain a connection between the Red and Blue lines, and I doubt that would be possible on the west side of downtown. I've never seen any detailed ideas for how it would come above ground before crossing the Bow River, though. If it ever appears on maps, they stick a tunnel portal somewhere on 9th St. 

4 hours ago, green_line_26 said:

Why were the U2s never painted in the new livery with the SD160s?

I'm assuming it either has to do with the 3 stripe livery starting out on them, budget, or because they weren't going to last long enough for it to be worth it.

The U2s were last "refurbed" in the early-mid 2000s, a few years before the red wave livery was introduced.  By the time the Series 5, 6 and 7 cars were rewrapped/painted into the new livery, it was probably not worth it to rewrap/paint the U2s in the wave livery.

11 minutes ago, TechSpotlight said:

The U2s were last refurbed in the early 2000s, a few years before the red wave livery was introduced.  By the time the Series 5, 6 and 7 cars were rewrapped/painted into the new livery, it was probably not worth it to rewrap/paint the U2s in the wave livery.

I don't think that's accurate.

Maybe a small handful were refurbished and that's about it.

Most of the U2's are in their original condition with exceptions of some minor interior upgrades. They still have the original Calgary 88 Olympics decal on them!

Before the Series 8s where purchased Bombardier came to town to check out the cars and see what they to do with them as the Edmonton cars for being refurbished.

The Calgary cars were too far gone then the Edmonton cars. I believe the price quote came in at over 2 million dollars a car and would not improve reliability it was more of a cosmetic refurb and would pose a shortage on cars and cause issues with service as they would be rebuilt.

The idea was ditched 38 SD160s were purchased and the decision was made to eventually decommission the U2 cars with the Series 9 cars. 

Originally 20 series 9 cars were purchased for the U2 replacements but I'm pretty sure we seen more than 20 U2 cars get decommissioned in recent times. 

20190501_135444.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

They would need to maintain a connection between the Red and Blue lines, and I doubt that would be possible on the west side of downtown. I've never seen any detailed ideas for how it would come above ground before crossing the Bow River, though. If it ever appears on maps, they stick a tunnel portal somewhere on 9th St. 

Too bad there's development on what used to be that park at 8 St SW - otherwise, they could just have the 8th Avenue tunnel come out at a 60 degree angle and merge with the rest of the Red Line. And while they're at it, maybe bulldoze Crackmacs to make room for it, and get rid of a troublespot downtown... that way, the area feels safer, and the Red Line can be reconnected to the existing NW LRT, with minimal disruption to the Blue Line in the Future. There would still be the "X" switch where the current West Downtown switch is, but with no train waits at City Hall switches, and 7th Avenue freed up for more Blue trains, it's probably the least intrusive and expensive option. Well, either that or bulldoze some more of Kensington/Sunnyside :P

20 hours ago, armorand said:

Too bad there's development on what used to be that park at 8 St SW - otherwise, they could just have the 8th Avenue tunnel come out at a 60 degree angle and merge with the rest of the Red Line. And while they're at it, maybe bulldoze Crackmacs to make room for it, and get rid of a troublespot downtown... that way, the area feels safer, and the Red Line can be reconnected to the existing NW LRT, with minimal disruption to the Blue Line in the Future. There would still be the "X" switch where the current West Downtown switch is, but with no train waits at City Hall switches, and 7th Avenue freed up for more Blue trains, it's probably the least intrusive and expensive option. Well, either that or bulldoze some more of Kensington/Sunnyside :P

They're replacing Century Gardens Park with a newer, 'better' park.

That idea would still leave the Red line crossing the Blue Line at grade, and then 6th, 5th, and 4th, and while I doubt it will ever happen, I've always wanted 4th to not cross the Red Line at grade. Still, it's interesting to speculate. 

I could have an entire discussion about trouble spots and how getting rid of Crackmacs (or circle K or whatever) wouldn't accomplish anything but instead I'm just going to mention that I've rarely felt unsafe at 8th St, but have encountered people with knives at City Hall WB. 

2 hours ago, LRT said:

@TechSpotlight

Here's a rendering of the Calgary U2 interior from the late 70s / early 80s

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before but it would be almost impossible to find it

20190521_090917.jpg

I love how they have artistically made that interior look about four times as big as it really is. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Blake M said:

Couldn't get a picture but the signs at SAIT have changed to SAIT/AUArts/Jubilee

Oddly, they didn’t change them all. Just saw some signs not within the sheltered area (west end of platform) still say ACAD. And the train announcements still say Alberta College of Art and Design. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downbeat said:

Oddly, they didn’t change them all. Just saw some signs not within the sheltered area (west end of platform) still say ACAD. And the train announcements still say Alberta College of Art and Design. 

Here's a photo. I guess these ones are decals and not permanent signs? I don't know

20190526_214435_HDR.jpg

Something that's been on my mind for a while. How do the station announcements work? How are they triggered? Is it location based, operator controlled, or is there some kind of external sensor that tells the trains where they are? Why are the U2s worse at "knowing" this than other models?

I'm currently heading NB on the Red Line, aboard 2418 and the infotainment systems all say "Somerset-Bridlewood" on them, but we are just passing Sunnyside. I've been on a few S9 consists where once they reached Sunnyside the system corrected itself (it's frozen this time).

Just now, chills_on_the_train said:

Something that's been on my mind for a while. How do the station announcements work? How are they triggered? Is it location based, operator controlled, or is there some kind of external sensor that tells the trains where they are? Why are the U2s worse at "knowing" this than other models?

I'm currently heading NB on the Red Line, aboard 2418 and the infotainment systems all say "Somerset-Bridlewood" on them, but we are just passing Sunnyside. I've been on a few S9 consists where once they reached Sunnyside the system corrected itself (it's frozen this time).

I believe it's location based (like on the buses)

29 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

LRT, Pantograph and/or CTrainDude can correct me if i am wrong but i know i am quite close.

U2 is operator initiated. They push a button and ding dong. It used to be a cassette tape. Now it is a system on board. Kinda like an MP3 play list. Enter your code and boom.

SD160 5/6/7/8 i believe it is based on wheel revolutions. Operators program their route when leaving end terminals and i believe it is wheel revolutions that ultimately determines when they are played. Operators can override and go to automatic announcements

Series 9 is GPS based. When going through downtown, the reflection of the signal off buildings often messes everything up and often doesn’t correct itself until after the core. Operators can override and go to manual announcements

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1