General CTrain Discussion

29 minutes ago, DarkKeyo said:

Frequency and connectivity, something that that discussion noted as well. As a transit user with no car, I found my limits were 30 or more minute frequencies, especially in the winter, and indirect connections. One of the biggest was getting from near North Hill mall to the SW Beltline, which I would try to do frequently but which could easily take 45 min including transfers (which is also how long it takes to walk that distance on a good day). In comparison, the number of places I can currently get to in 45 minutes with one transfer now that I live in Burnaby is very large. 

45 minutes to get from Lions Park to Victoria Park stations? Am I missing something?

It takes me 26 minutes to get from Crowfoot to 8 Street W every day, and the trains come at least every 5 minutes during rush hour, 10-15 outside that.

I know it used to be a lot worse 10 or so years ago but still...?

57 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

45 minutes to get from Lions Park to Victoria Park stations? Am I missing something?

It takes me 26 minutes to get from Crowfoot to 8 Street W every day, and the trains come at least every 5 minutes during rush hour, 10-15 outside that.

When your journey involves two or more community shuttle routes, travel time can easily add up to 30+ minutes for even short distances.

2 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I imagine "SW Beltline" refers to the area west of 8th st W, which requires a good 20 min+ walk from Stampede, or 8th St. W station. 

On 8/2/2018 at 3:20 PM, chills_on_the_train said:

I didn't mean Victoria Park, sorry. It was a lot worse 10 years ago, and before Sunalta opened, but I only moved away last year. But yes, it was faster to get to, say, Chinook mall, than to parts of the Beltline, from Lions Park, and so trips like that are faster and easier by car. 

22 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

I imagine "SW Beltline" refers to the area west of 8th st W, which requires a good 20 min+ walk from Stampede, or 8th St. W station. 

Yes, the area I had the most trouble with is between 11 st and 14 st south of the CPR tracks, but the Connaught side of the Beltline in general (and lower Mount Royal) was difficult, because it takes a surprisingly long time to walk into and out of it (eg. to 8th st station). It might just be my experience, but I had a lot of trips that would have been much easier if 14 st had something more than the 414. 

So, for the purpose of driving vs transit, it would be much easier to take a car for those trips. I agree with reecemartin on frequency too, because it's also faster to get into a car and drive that straight line than wait for a bus from 17th to downtown, and then a train to the NW. So that's what people do....

16 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

I didn't mean Victoria Park, sorry. It was a lot worse 10 years ago, and before Sunalta opened, but I only moved away last year. But yes, it was faster to get to, say, Chinook mall, than to parts of the Beltline, from Lions Park, and so trips like that are faster and easier by car. 

Yes, the area I had the most trouble with is between 11 st and 14 st south of the CPR tracks, but the Connaught side of the Beltline in general (and lower Mount Royal) was difficult, because it takes a surprisingly long time to walk into and out of it (eg. to 8th st station). It might just be my experience, but I had a lot of trips that would have been much easier if 14 st had something more than the 414. 

So, for the purpose of driving vs transit, it would be much easier to take a car for those trips. I agree with reecemartin on frequency too, because it's also faster to get into a car and drive that straight line than wait for a bus from 17th to downtown, and then a train to the NW. So that's what people do....

Speaking of the 414, I've always been confused as to why the 414 frequency and hours of service are so low. There's huge potential with that route, say extending it to Marda Loop or MRU, or running the 89 all day and extending that or something. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Edit: realized what chat I was in, we should move any further discussion on this to a different chat

54 minutes ago, reecemartin said:

Out of curiosity why are the C-Train Lines paired the way they are? I.e. why are the South and West legs not paired.

I know that part of it is that particular combination. The south leg has the most ridership (and is also the longest) , the west the least (and is also the shortest), and the other two are similar to each other. Pairing the most used and least used line wouldn't be a good use of frequency and capacity. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, chills_on_the_train said:

If 2003's failure was something more serious than a breaker or other relatively minor issue, does that mean it's next for the scrap heap?

Could be... depends how serious the problem could be. 

Lots of spare parts laying around nowadays

1 hour ago, chills_on_the_train said:

What kind of stuff comes off a U2 these days that isn't worn out well past its lifespan? Genuinely curious.

Vehicle information System (VIS) box, Onboard Signal System and Enduzee, Seats, Radio. In addition, the bogeys and pantographs on several trains are newer. Shall I continue?

• Like 1

In addition to the above, they even save stuff like windows, door buttons, advisory lights, door mechanical and electrical equipment, couplers, relays, master controller/ drive-brake  assembly, Indusi and anything else that still has some life in it.

16 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

Vehicle information System (VIS) box, Onboard Signal System and Enduzee, Seats, Radio. In addition, the bogeys and pantographs on several trains are newer. Shall I continue?

Sleepers....lol

16 hours ago, Blake M said:

I remember at one point it was said that, scheduled, Red Line had all four car trains except for 3 trains, and Blue Line had six four car trains. Has this changed at all, and will it change again in September?

As of the March signup, all Red Line trains are supposed to be 4 car at all times on weekdays with 8, 4 car blue line trains from 06:00-18:00. Schedules were adjusted to reflect this (going from 3-5 minutes on the Red line to 5-7 minutes during peak hours.

As a result of slower then anticipated/delayed deliveries of Series 9 trains, delays putting the retrofitted Series 5 trains in service as well as the expedited retirement of some troubled U2 cars, there have not been enough available cars to be able to meet this commitment. There is no ETA as to when this will be rectified. There are no changes to the September Signup.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 10:54 AM, Pantograf said:

Car 2003 had failed yet again to get through the morning rush. I think it's time to either fix it or send it to the scrappers. As far as 4-car trains on the Red line go, this morning there were 5 3-cars trains out there.

20180824_102304.jpg

I knew it! Lol

7 hours ago, Nick B said:

Car #2003 is back in service.

Oh oh! Not cool

• 2 months later...