General CTrain Discussion

53 minutes ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

Sound Transit Link (Seattle, Washington) announces which side of the train by saying:  "Doors to my right" or "Doors to my left."    I personally think that works well.

Or Chicago's "Cumberland is next. Doors open on the left at Cumberland."

3 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I rode the DC Metro a few months ago and was quite impressed with their departing announcements. It's a simple, brutal "STEP BACK, DOORS CLOSING" and then they WHUMP shut with a good amount of force. Cull the stragglers!

I really wish our train doors weren't so lenient. Obviously, you don't want them chopping off limbs or injuring anyone but their existing behavior is just way too easy to take advantage of.

It'd be nice if they didn't re-open all the way when there's an obstruction. Just enough that whatever is stuck can get unstuck but then slowly force their way closed once that happens.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Are trains allowed to leave end stations early? Seems like something is wrong when a train shows up 5 minutes early (see attached photo) 

Screenshot_2018-05-26-17-57-15.png

Unless control advises us too otherwise.. no way. 

I'm not sure how accurate the app is for times

On 5/18/2018 at 2:12 PM, 1604 said:

Hopefully they rerecorded some of the other lines to include 'blue line' and 'red line' too?

Nope ?. But they did split up the announcements at the last stop downtown so info on which direction the train is headed plays with the 'next stop' announcement instead of having everything play when you're pulling in to the stop.

Annoys me how fragmented the line names still are.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:06 PM, Transit Fan said:

I really wish our train doors weren't so lenient. Obviously, you don't want them chopping off limbs or injuring anyone but their existing behavior is just way too easy to take advantage of.

It'd be nice if they didn't re-open all the way when there's an obstruction. Just enough that whatever is stuck can get unstuck but then slowly force their way closed once that happens.

The doors on the series 8s used to do that - not sure if they still do with the other changes they've made to how the doors work on the SD160s.

But I agree. The series 9s in particular can be ridiculous - just standing in the general vicinity of the door sometimes causes them to recycle.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LRT said:

That sucks sorry to hear that. Trains usually leave Tuscany on the 9s at that time. So you probably caught a U2 then?

I should clarify, I was trying to get the 17:20 train northbound from Southland, which was 2060-2012-2075. I was on the bridge from the superstore to the station at 17:16 when the train was pulling into Southland. The screenshot I took is because I was passive aggressively following him on the app up to Tuscany ?

I know the schedule has some time padded onto it, and I understand that had I missed the train at say 17:18, that would've been my fault for not getting to the station early enough. But from my experience (and most likely your own too) that there is no way a train leaving Somerset at 17:09 would've made it to Southland for 17:16. Unless he passed all the previous platforms ?

35 minutes ago, 1604 said:

Nope ?. But they did split up the announcements at the last stop downtown so info on which direction the train is headed plays with the 'next stop' announcement instead of having everything play when you're pulling in to the stop.

The doors on the series 8s used to do that - not sure if they still do with the other changes they've made to how the doors work on the SD160s.

But I agree. The series 9s in particular can be ridiculous - just standing in the general vicinity of the door sometimes causes them to recycle.

I believe on the series 8's the cycle resets but is shortened

48 minutes ago, 1604 said:

Yes! On the Series 9s the doors will stay open if you stand near the doors within the 1st 18 seconds of the door cycle, then the sensor will deactivate and the doors will close after that. If your in the way the doors after the door cycle ends the doors will reopen if a load on the doors are sensed. The operator can deactivate the door sensors if he likes but that just causes headaches and even door malfunctions.

Turning off the sensor is only used if there's a heavy snow fall or heavy rain that causes issues with the doors.

The sensor on the series 9s are located just above the doors.

They've also added more of that "don't forget your newspapers and private stuff" and "this is a Southbound or northbound Tuscany or Somerset bridlewood train" on 7th Avenue more frequently.

There used to be an announcment setting for the announcements for the morning rush hour and the evening rush hour that's all been removed. 

And on my previous post Stampede Park and destination has been added as well however, there's no station announcements for that one.

Once they perfect the anouncments, it will be added to the rest of the fleet.... except the U2s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LRT said:

There used to be an announcment setting for the announcements for the morning rush hour and the evening rush hour that's all been removed. 

I was actually going to ask if those were still there but I forgot. Good to know. Thanks!

I love that we've slowly been transitioning to the Red & Blue line names. However, I don't think i've ever heard those terms in the on-board announcements.

Do they ever plan on adding that? Thinking something along the lines of:

"This is a northeast blue line train. Destination Saddletowne."

"This is a northwest red line train. Destination Tuscany."

15 hours ago, 1604 said:

The fragmentation is silly for a system with 2 lines. There was a discussion a few years ago that the system has multiple lines (ie trains going from NE to NW) and would cause confusing "rainbow lines". Sorry, no. The system has 2 lines: red and blue.

13 minutes ago, LRT said:

Series 8s now display "Not In Service" instead of "Out Of Service" 

Must be part of the new anouncments set up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Series 8's always display that, or at least use to?

29 minutes ago, Nick B said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Series 8's always display that, or at least use to?

Good question. I noticed it today and it just didn't look right to me... Then I compared it to the SD160 (series 7) and it said "out of service" 

I'm pretty sure the S200s say Out Of Service too.... but I'm having a bit of a brain fart right now...

Haha look what it found... my miniature roll sign from a U2. They display "Out of Service"

20180601_234118.jpg

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but 'Not in Service' seems to show up when the car is on training and the interior signs are showing normal station info - possibly it's used for training to simulate revenue service? And 'Out of Service' is used the rest of the time. Not really sure - but I know I've seen both messages on series 8s before, and that seems to have been the difference between the two.

...not that they couldn't have changed every instance of 'Out of Service' to 'Not in Service' with the new programming.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LRT said:

Good question. I noticed it today and it just didn't look right to me... Then I compared it to the SD160 (series 7) and it said "out of service" 

I'm pretty sure the S200s say Out Of Service too.... but I'm having a bit of a brain fart right now...

Haha look what it found... my miniature roll sign from a U2. They display "Out of Service"

20180601_234118.jpg

The S200's say Not in Service