General CTrain Discussion

22 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Sure they could ban headphones on the platform with a bylaw but on a public road near the tracks? They are better off placing barriers around the tracks to make sure people look both ways before crossing.

They should not have to!  Are people not taught any sort of safety whatsoever anymore?  Ridiculous!  Even that, it seems much of today's society still won't see these barriers anyways!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

They should not have to!  Are people not taught any sort of safety whatsoever anymore?  Ridiculous!  Even that, it seems much of today's society still won't see these barriers anyways!

I agree. We should let natural selection do its things. Unfortunately every city wants zero death rate. If they are going to do something about it, at least make it count. A headphone ban won't work.

9 hours ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

Nope, hence why they will walk out in front of moving cars expecting the cars to stop, even if it isn't a crosswalk. Or if it is a crosswalk will run out without checking to see if any vehicles are approaching.

I agree that banning headphones near stations is a stupid idea. There's no way it could work, and there's no way it could be enforced. They already can't ( or don't) enforce the supposed 'No Smoking' Bylaw in stations. 

They've done almost all they can to prevent these accidents. There's a lot of signage about not being distracted, looking before crossing, and the new wider yellow lines. The only thing I can think of that they should do is replace the swinging gates (eg. at Whitehorn where this happened, at Saddletowne) and the offset gates (at Lions Park, Heritage), with crossing arms (like they did at Anderson, Shawnessy, and Banff Trail). Everything else is the responsibility of pedestrians and cars, to not do anything stupid. 

1 hour ago, DarkKeyo said:

The only thing I can think of that they should do is replace the swinging gates (eg. at Whitehorn where this happened, at Saddletowne) and the offset gates (at Lions Park, Heritage), with crossing arms (like they did at Anderson, Shawnessy, and Banff Trail). Everything else is the responsibility of pedestrians and cars, to not do anything stupid. 

The gates are a good idea but in areas like Banff Station people go under the gates as soon as the outbound train goes by not seeing the inbound train coming into the station. They have also installed emergency exit swing gates that pedestrians use to cross the tracks when the regular gates are down.

It just goes to show but no matter how many safety measures are put in place people will disobey them on purpose if they can.

We now have a Ctrain operator and  his or her family that has to deal with this for the rest of his or her life. 

Trust me everyone, I know by experience how it affects the intire family of an operator when an incident like this happens.

1 hour ago, LRT said:

The gates are a good idea but in areas like Banff Station people go under the gates as soon as the outbound train goes by not seeing the inbound train coming into the station. They have also installed emergency exit swing gates that pedestrians use to cross the tracks when the regular gates are down.

The offset gates at Lions Park are a problem for people getting through as each side is only wide enough for one person, which is probably unsafe and certainly irritating. But yes, anyone who ignores a crossing arm is at fault. 

Looks like California passed a law about wearing both earbuds while cycling or driving. Of course there is nothing about pedestrians. Just surprised that someone passed a law, or that there was a need to, but not surprised that people, as shown in this video, choose to ignore it.

5 minutes ago, TimmyC62 said:

In BC, at least, you're allowed only one earbud when driving: http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/rules-road/drivers/headphones-allowed

Which makes sense and is the same as mentioned in the video I posted above. Just sad that such a law has to be passed in the first place.

But unless the city is going to have a CPS or PS officer at every crossing then it won't mean anything.

2 hours ago, LRT said:

Hahaha! That rendering is at VP I think.... I posted a bunch of those somewhere on this board. 

That is infact from Victoria Park Garage. They have the same rendering at Anderson Garage, as well one of Chinook, in the hall way from to the bus barns.

Councillor Woolley and his office staff spent a good part of the morning touring Victoria Park.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're getting digital advertising signs at stations:

A request for proposals for digital advertising displays at CTrain stations was advertised and awarded in 2016. Installations are being introduced in Q1-Q3 2017 under this contract.

I'd assume these will be the Pattison OneStop signs already in use in Edmonton and Toronto, but nothing has been announced yet.

There's also a recommendation to introduce both digital and non-digital third party advertising billboards on CT property, but this decision was requested to be deferred so they can "incorporate knowledge from the introduction of [the] new digital displays".

http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=517926

• 2 weeks later...

The transit and transportation committee has approved the purchase of an additional 6 S200 LRVs from siemens.

A couple points that stand out to me. The cost of the 6 is 29 million total which is significantly more then the original order (4.8 each). Also, committee and Mac Logan stands firm that this brings the order to 70. I cant remember folks. I remember the original order going from 60 to 63 but i cant remember if/when there was a 64 car announced.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...