TTC Nova LFS orders

Nova probably met the timeline to delivery the 60ft buses. NFI already felt like they won the lotto with NYC, and probably wouldn't have time to meet TTCs timeline to deliver the buses on time.

Some major speculating there!? Be that as it may, so, this is all based on timing and scheduling, therefore TTC settled for second best, ...yet again (cough)Orion(hack) as opposed to the actual best which NYC amongst others already discovered.

Nova probably met the timeline to delivery the 60ft buses. NFI already felt like they won the lotto with NYC, and probably wouldn't have time to meet TTCs timeline to deliver the buses on time. The minute TTC looked at the Nova bus from Viva/Nova, I knew they were going to go after it.

How many 60ft buses can TTC get with $24,392,745.00? 50 or so buses?

Sounds like only about 45 buses, given most artics cost $500,000 and up (Diesel only)

It would be interesting if Nova sweeps the floor in terms of the bus contracts, but a little variety couldn't hurt (LFS artic + D40LF), but I guess time will tell on who gets the next round of shots

New Flyer is probably gonna push the XD40 to TTC if they award them the bid. The modifications to the D40LFR are such that most of the bodywork is interchangeable.

Damn! I was hoping TTC would go for NFI, oh well I did have a feeling TTC would go with Nova. They will probably stay with Nova for the 40ft buses too.

Isn't NFI still behind in bus orders with WMATA and NYC as well other American agencies? NovaBus could come out a winner!

Isn't NFI still behind in bus orders with WMATA and NYC as well other American agencies? NovaBus could come out a winner!

That's the problem! Though I'm keeping my fingers cross for NFI (doesn't matter what model they offer as long as they win the 40ft tender). Once TTC goes to a certain company, they stick to it so it's better they have both models together.

I'm rather curious on what specs Nova offered TTC though on their LFSA.

New Flyer is almost finished delivering the C40LFs from the original NYC order but they recently picked up Orion's contract for 74 more C40LFs as well. Also, they were just awarded a 95 bus contract with WMATA and a 43 bus contract with MTA in Baltimore. Apparently, they are supposed to be two years behind but some systems have piggybacked orders to "jump ahead in line".

Normally they don't announce until after the Commission meeting - unless the Commission has somehow waived the entire thing so that staff can deal with (such as with the Spadina subway extension, which is how, presumably, York University station was awarded). So I'd assume it will only be presented for information to the Commission and that somehow they've authorized staff to deal with it. Probably buried in some previous decision.

There is a mechanism in place for the Commission to award contracts without having to go to the board. It has been in place for years, and every once in a while they review it and update it - I think the last time was in late 2009.

How many buses will the TTC be receiving from both contracts?

The articulated contract is for 153 buses over 3 years. It was originally written for the buses to be delivered in even batches (51 per year), but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case based solely on the award amount. It will be interesting to see what the final report says.

The 40' contract is a bit more vague, as it seems to be a bit of a moving target. I think at this point it is about 120 buses in 2013 and 2016, split roughly 50/70, but I honestly can't recall correctly.

Dan

http://www.thestar.c...k-the-bendy-bus

The city councillors on the Toronto Transit Commission are expected in September to approve a $24.3-million contract to Nova Bus, a division of Volvo, in St. Eustache, Que.

That contract covers the cost of 27 buses to be delivered next year and gives the TTC the option to buy up to 153 of the 60-foot LFS Artic diesel buses, said a spokeswoman for Nova.

Thanks for the link!

I look forward to hearing more about why Nova was chosen. Is it just me or is Nova winning the majority of the competitions with New Flyer when it comes to artics?

http://www.cptdb.ca/...ndpost&p=562386

That should help.

It's one of the reasons we think that TTC may have chosen NovaBus based on that they want some buses delivered next year.

http://www.cptdb.ca/...ndpost&p=562386

That should help.

It's one of the reasons we think that TTC may have chosen NovaBus based on that they want some buses delivered next year.

Even with that point aside, TTC would rather have a product that has been in the market for years, and has been tested and proven in various transit systems. The XD60 has barely been in service in New York, so TTC would be taking a risk in ordering something that's not proven yet.

So... 24.3 million for 27 buses?

That's $900,000 per bus... IIRC that's roughly along the lines of what YRT paid for each of their Novas. TTC will pay more for their buses to ensure quality (and for warranties to ensure they don't have to fork out as much down the road for maintenance)

And the GM articulated, Orion V CNG, Orion VII, the list gos on.

NFI has been making Articulated buses for 20+ years now. TTC could have got the D60LFR which has been around longer than the LFSA. I think The TTC knows what thy are doing, despite their record. The've been burnt so many times by now they should know what they are looking to get out of an articulated bus. And if they think Nova was the best out of the two, then thats what is.

If NFI were the only company to present a proposal TTC still would'nt choose them. :angry:

Delivery promptness and schedule may have been a sticking point with them. I would imagine that's why TTC is only getting 20-some buses (I forget te exact number) the first year, likely because that's all Nova may have been willing to commit with existing production.

Now, the question will be, which division(s) get the first batch?

If NFI were the only company to present a proposal TTC still would'nt choose them. :angry:

If NFI were able to provide a competent proposal than maybe the TTC would.

But then again, they haven't been able to for over 10 years, so why start now?

Dan

If NFI were able to provide a competent proposal than maybe the TTC would.

But then again, they haven't been able to for over 10 years, so why start now?

Dan

Exactly, don't forget that back in 2008 when Adam G was Chair the TTC approached NFI to try and hash something out. At the time NFI was the only manufacturer of articulated buses in Canada, thus the only choice. Talks brokedown when NFI refused to meet the TTC demands.