Miscellaneous Greyhound discussion

Tom1122

10 hours ago, Articulated said:

These are not complete lists by any means, but off the top of my head here's a list of companies that were either purchased by Greyhound or were subsidiaries:

Greyhound Canada:

• Brewster (since been sold off)
  • Chatham Coach Lines (Cha-Co Trails)
  • Gray Coach Lines
  • Gray Line of Victoria/Gray Line West
  • Grey Goose Lines
  • Penetang-Midland Coach Lines (PMCL)
  • Voyageur Colonial Bus Lines (Voyageur)

Greyhound Lines (US):

• Americanos
  • BoltBus
  • Carolina Trailways
  • Texas, New Mexico & Oklahoma (TNM&O)
  • Valley Transit Company
  • Vermont Transit

The current Greyhound Canada was formed from two separate companies, Eastern Canadian Greyhound Lines and Western Canadian Greyhound Lines. Similarly, in the early days there were separate companies for each region in the US, such as Atlantic, Capitol, Central, Dixie, Florida, Great Lakes, New England, Northland, Northwestern, Pacific, Pennsylvania, Southeastern, and Southwestern Greyhound Lines.

Part of me feels like having all of those divisions might have made each small enough to be able to be more customer focused and once they merged them it began to suffer. Any idea about when they consolidated everything together? Maybe mid-60’s?

3 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

I never knew you can request be dropped off on the side of an interstate on Greyhound 

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/man-dropped-off-on-i-24-by-greyhound-bus-killed-when-hit-by-semi-in-montgomery-county/

I believe that would be illegal, in almost any jurisdiction, and therefore, against Company rules, as well.   If a passenger demanded to be left off along an interstate or other controlled access highway, where by the way, pedestrian traffic is illegal, the proper procedure would be to let them off at the next interchange or exit, and then get back on the highway...

8 hours ago, traildriver said:

I believe that would be illegal, in almost any jurisdiction, and therefore, against Company rules, as well.   If a passenger demanded to be left off along an interstate or other controlled access highway, where by the way, pedestrian traffic is illegal, the proper procedure would be to let them off at the next interchange or exit, and then get back on the highway...

Precisely how I was instructed. The area they are being dropped off in has to be SAFE!

I think it’s by law but even if not can you imagine the liability?

9 hours ago, Shaun said:

Why is that even allowed?

Because some people are extremely misbehaved or they get distraught and want off. The bus isn’t a prison and sometimes it’s safest to let them off. If I did it the way this person did I would find myself unemployed so there is a right way and a wrong way.

If greyhound has said their operator did as company policy allows, I’m leaning more towards the passenger demanded to be let off, as on google maps mile marker 15.6 is very close to Dixie bee and Sango road which has no exits anywhere near it. Everyone is an adult and if they demand to be off they can’t be held “hostage” on the bus 

1 hour ago, ZümmyZüm said:

If greyhound has said their operator did as company policy allows, I’m leaning more towards the passenger demanded to be let off, as on google maps mile marker 15.6 is very close to Dixie bee and Sango road which has no exits anywhere near it. Everyone is an adult and if they demand to be off they can’t be held “hostage” on the bus 

But you cannot simply drop them on the interstate. Greyhounds policy is irrelevant if it’s illegal to do so which it is. The nearest safe location should have been good enough.

8 hours ago, ns8401 said:

But you cannot simply drop them on the interstate. Greyhounds policy is irrelevant if it’s illegal to do so which it is. The nearest safe location should have been good enough.

Absolutely agree.

The only exception would be if the passenger presented a clear and present threat to the driver or the other passenger's, say, brandishing a weapon....

Then the safe thing to do, would be to comply, and or get them off the coach as quickly as possible.

In such a rare instance, you would want the police to stop you....

7 hours ago, traildriver said:

Absolutely agree.

The only exception would be if the passenger presented a clear and present threat to the driver or the other passenger's, say, brandishing a weapon....

Then the safe thing to do, would be to comply, and or get them off the coach as quickly as possible.

In such a rare instance, you would want the police to stop you....

Absolutely. We had a camera system installed that they could tap into live for that purpose and a code word to use. Hopefully somebody could call for help. But if he has a gun or a knife he’ll get no argument from me.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Greyhound "Gold" vs Greyhound "silver/Grey" Dog?

Is there a reason Greyhound used a "Gold" Greyhound on its coaches?

The majority of coaches only had silver dog logos. I've only personally seen one coach with the gold dog on the side:

35777426826_c0b612cc52.jpg

I think the gold dog was meant to represent the Gray Line charter service, as 1031 had extra items such as TVs and more comfortable seating that you wouldn't normally see in a Greyhound line-haul bus.

• 11 months later...

I would never take a cross country trip on a coach. maybe a train with sleeper cabinn, Ya you pay more and still see the country and about the same time or a few hours difference? The most I do is 5 hours IE Ottawa-Toronto or maybe 8 hours Montreal -Mew York(did that in the 1990's wasn't that bad)or Toronto-New York or Montreal/Toronto - Boston, but nothing more then that? Don't know the schedule for those that I mentioned is  today  but back then1990's it was one bus no transfers.

• 2 weeks later...

Adirondack Trailways starts Toronto - NYC service on Thursday with a day run out of NYC and night run out of Toronto. Also it seems Adirondack Trailways and Greyhound have ended their pool agreement. The Greyhound Website does not list the Adirondack Trailways departure but the Trailways booking platform still has Greyhound departures.

4 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Adirondack Trailways starts Toronto - NYC service on Thursday with a day run out of NYC and night run out of Toronto. Also it seems Adirondack Trailways and Greyhound have ended their pool agreement. The Greyhound Website does not list the Adirondack Trailways departure but the Trailways booking platform still has Greyhound departures.

They are still appearing in the system timetable updates I put out… only pool agreements appear on that besides the regular greyhound stuff. Both New York and Adirondack have appeared within the last update or two. 

4 hours ago, ns8401 said:

They are still appearing in the system timetable updates I put out… only pool agreements appear on that besides the regular greyhound stuff. Both New York and Adirondack have appeared within the last update or two. 

In your last post nothing for Toronto was mentioned with the exception of Buffalo - NYC Service.

20 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

In your last post nothing for Toronto was mentioned with the exception of Buffalo - NYC Service.

Just the fact that they are on their system revisions indicates there is still some coordination going on. Had any agreement ended entirely they would not be mentioned anymore. Keep in mind too that all the Trailways site does is emulate TRIPS in a customer usable way. It’s essentially NBTS. It all runs off the same thing ultimately. Just a different wrapper. In fact all of the partner carriers use the same site basically with their own color scheme customized to their liking. 

I took a stab and picked Thursday the 17th… I’m showing a New York Trailways schedule 0354 from New York to Toronto using the Greyhound app.

When schedules are new sometimes they don’t get entered into the computer until the last moment, connections can be incomplete and a whole host of things can be screwed up. That’s probably why you saw it one place and not the other. 

On 3/9/2022 at 9:36 PM, ns8401 said:

Just the fact that they are on their system revisions indicates there is still some coordination going on. Had any agreement ended entirely they would not be mentioned anymore. Keep in mind too that all the Trailways site does is emulate TRIPS in a customer usable way. It’s essentially NBTS. It all runs off the same thing ultimately. Just a different wrapper. In fact all of the partner carriers use the same site basically with their own color scheme customized to their liking. 

I took a stab and picked Thursday the 17th… I’m showing a New York Trailways schedule 0354 from New York to Toronto using the Greyhound app.

When schedules are new sometimes they don’t get entered into the computer until the last moment, connections can be incomplete and a whole host of things can be screwed up. That’s probably why you saw it one place and not the other. 

Interesting, will check it our.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

Wow so much for letting everyone know about it. I didn't even receive a email from them about this

I wonder what they are up to…. Eliminating this and then GPX next month sounds more like winding down operations than anything… not having some sort of frequent traveler program is strange… then again so is FLIX.