Miscellaneous Greyhound discussion

Tom1122

On 4/13/2019 at 11:52 AM, yrt1000 said:

I was just looking at the Wiki page for the 1263-1292 order and saw some buses with “?” As their status. 

1265, 1283 and 1290 are currently all sitting at bus platforms at the London terminal so I assume they are active

In the last few weeks a number of D4505 (and X3-45) coaches transferred from out west finally re-entered service in Ontario. I'm working on updating the Wiki pages both with these re-activated D4505 units as well as the ex-US 102-DL3 units that were returned to Greyhound Lines, and will do so when I have more time to crunch my sightings data. Any units marked with ? had not re-entered service in Ontario since my last update in early March, and some people have said some of the D4505 units were sold, so I wanted to clearly differentiate which units were actively running, and which were stored pending refurbishment, sale, or scrap.

4 hours ago, Articulated said:

In the last few weeks a number of D4505 (and X3-45) coaches transferred from out west finally re-entered service in Ontario. I'm working on updating the Wiki pages both with these re-activated D4505 units as well as the ex-US 102-DL3 units that were returned to Greyhound Lines, and will do so when I have more time to crunch my sightings data. Any units marked with ? had not re-entered service in Ontario since my last update in early March, and some people have said some of the D4505 units were sold, so I wanted to clearly differentiate which units were actively running, and which were stored pending refurbishment, sale, or scrap.

I figured as much, I just wanted to share my sightings so you’d know they were active ?

• 2 weeks later...

Wheelchair Lifts?

Front or Rear?

With the law(I think its a law not sure)in the US(not Canada)which is more popular Front or Rear Wheelchair Lifts? I'm not 100% sure I think all of Greyhound wheelchair equipt coaches are Front located Wheelchairs Lifts(I think not 100 sure though).

'm not sure if there's an advantage one over the other or not, but which is easier for the driver, and just wondering how those  individuals that have Mobility issues that use some type of scooter or wheelchair assisted device prefer a Front or Rear lift one over the other. 

Now with MCI coming out with the D4500CT with a low level handi-cap area(2 wheelchair position) will change anything(although this more geared towards the "Commuter Run" segment of the Bus Industry)IE GO TRANSIT NJ Transit, etc, not sure If Greyhound will go this route or not that I don't know, but something tells me they won't, just curious what drivers 7 those with mobilities needs think about it?

• 2 weeks later...

You mean the D45 CRT LE? That's based on the J4500, not the D4500CT. For example, the D45 CRT LE sent to Altoona testing featured a DD13 engine, which isn't available in the D4500CT. Also, the driver area, spiral staircase, fiberglass body, wheelbase, and suspension are all J4500.

As for wheelchair lifts, I've found the 102D3 lift more reliable than J4500 lifts.

20 hours ago, Swadian said:

You mean the D45 CRT LE? That's based on the J4500, not the D4500CT. For example, the D45 CRT LE sent to Altoona testing featured a DD13 engine, which isn't available in the D4500CT. Also, the driver area, spiral staircase, fiberglass body, wheelbase, and suspension are all J4500.

As for wheelchair lifts, I've found the 102D3 lift more reliable than J4500 lifts.

Yes the 102DL3 and D4505 lifts (about the same thing really) are more reliable. The D45CRT and whatever variants they develop are the future... the D4505 and the CT and whatever other alphabet soup MCI currently has should be gone in 2020 or 2021... it makes sense to just make a baby J like the D45CRT, it saves on parts and the like. Adding the DD13 as an option for intercity service is no problem...

Too bad the 4505’s are going away, New Flyer finally got them right... I prefer these over the X3-45’s that can’t go a day without something going wrong...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is ‘merica... we love cars and don’t like mingling with poor folks... god the rest of the world is getting further ahead of us all the time...

Our Greyhound network is stuck in the 1950’s... it’s essentially an automated cart and that’s about it... no service innovation or new ideas here...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Board Admin
3 hours ago, anyfong said:

I've wondered about this for a very long time, but why do Greyhound bus destination signs mark Quebec destinations as PQ? Like Montreal PQ rather than Montreal QC? And the same seems to apply to other bus companies like Coach Canada.

PQ is another province abbreviation that is not common anymore, but refers to the Province of Quebec.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Question.  This photo was uploaded by the Ottawa Police service this morning on Twitter.  There’s 3 classic hounds in the photo.  Does anyone know if these coaches are still in service in the Ottawa area or is this an old photo?  I am also wondering whether Greyhound brought back some older coaches to add extra service to Toronto due to the rail blockades.

DB277717-D2BB-4CBF-A7B2-81E1D3E5D279.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Michel said:

Question.  This photo was uploaded by the Ottawa Police service this morning on Twitter.  There’s 3 classic hounds in the photo.  Does anyone know if these coaches are still in service in the Ottawa area or is this an old photo?  I am also wondering whether Greyhound brought back some older coaches to add extra service to Toronto due to the rail blockades.

thought all the H3-45s were gone too 

1 hour ago, dev161 said:

Seeing that I have not seen them in service for over a year, they must have been in storage. I wonder how much work went into getting them back in service? I would have thought that they would have used these if they had them for Xmas and holiday overflow, instead of using other carriers.

5 hours ago, dev161 said:

The only reason I believe this is a recent photo is because the Ottawa Police was posting various snowstorm related pictures yesterday which matched exactly what was happening during the day.  But it could still be a stock photo

23 hours ago, Michel said:

I think it’s an old photo... there are no new cars in it at all... the odds of having no vehicle in a shot newer than about 2014 aren’t very good... The odds of three old painted buses in a row don’t seem especially good either...