Miscellaneous Greyhound discussion

Tom1122

12 hours ago, Shaun said:

Finally some common sense for Greyhound. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/greyhound-to-stop-allowing-immigration-checks-on-buses-in-u-s-1.4822656

Those checks are illegal and they should not be allowed to do those checks without a warrant.

It was only recently resolved that this was the case. Personally if a guy with a gun wants to check my bus he can be my guest. It’ll vary by company but it’s not blatantly illegal. If the driver or company gives permission to check the bus the agents may do so. When this happens to me I let them do their thing and get down the road. The middle of my run is not the proper time for a moral stand. I have a schedule and connections and I’m not responsible for the passengers individual legal situations, I have enough to worry about without that stuff. That doesn’t mean much at Greyhound and I get that but to the rest of us being late and missing connections is embarrassing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 5:22 PM, Michel said:

Question.  This photo was uploaded by the Ottawa Police service this morning on Twitter.  There’s 3 classic hounds in the photo.  Does anyone know if these coaches are still in service in the Ottawa area or is this an old photo?  I am also wondering whether Greyhound brought back some older coaches to add extra service to Toronto due to the rail blockades.

DB277717-D2BB-4CBF-A7B2-81E1D3E5D279.jpeg

Definitely an old photo.  I can see a building in the background that was demolished at least four years ago.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know when Greyhound Canada decided to change their run numbers? I have this 1999 timetable and back then they were all numbered differently. By 2018 most of them were in 5XXX.

For example One transCanada run from Van-Toronto was numbered 64 leaving Calgary at 13:15. By 2014 it was numbered 5230.

6 hours ago, Rapidbus said:

Does anyone know when Greyhound Canada decided to change their run numbers? I have this 1999 timetable and back then they were all numbered differently. By 2018 most of them were in 5XXX.

For example One transCanada run from Van-Toronto was numbered 64 leaving Calgary at 13:15. By 2014 it was numbered 5230.

I can't say when, as I don't have access to my timetable collection, currently.  I will take a guess as to why...

Sometime along the way, they computerized everything, and their software required some type of grouping of trip numbers that would be compatible with their accounting system...just my guess...

1 hour ago, traildriver said:

I can't say when, as I don't have access to my timetable collection, currently.  I will take a guess as to why...

Sometime along the way, they computerized everything, and their software required some type of grouping of trip numbers that would be compatible with their accounting system...just my guess...

In the current iteration of the TRIPS system everything has to be 4 digits. That’s how the Greyhound Michigan buses have numbers like 0139. The zero is a check digit to satisfy the computer system. Some carriers schedules follow this convention too. For example Indian Trails has always used 2 digit schedule numbers. In TRIPS schedule 55 becomes 0055 to satisfy the 4 digit requirement. Such are the limitations of a 27 year old DOS based, F-key navigated computer system.

5 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Such are the limitations of a 27 year old DOS based, F-key navigated computer system.

That's 'modern' compared to the ancient "Greycom" computer I used to operate, when dispatching in Omaha in 1971-1973...had to enter data on paper 'punch' tapes, and if one character was out of format, had to redo...what a PITA!   But it did modernize a lot of dispatching, and bus status function's, previously done on the phone, or manual real time teletypes...

1 hour ago, traildriver said:

That's 'modern' compared to the ancient "Greycom" computer I used to operate, when dispatching in Omaha in 1971-1973...had to enter data on paper 'punch' tapes, and if one character was out of format, had to redo...what a PITA!   But it did modernize a lot of dispatching, and bus status function's, previously done on the phone, or manual real time teletypes...

How were messages conveyed in the old days? Say you had to call a bus on the road somehow? We have the benefit of text messages on the ELD now that pop up when received.

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

How were messages conveyed in the old days? Say you had to call a bus on the road somehow? We have the benefit of text messages on the ELD now that pop up when received.

Around the late 90's most charter companies had SAT phones in their fleet. Also CB radios have quite a bit of range. 

I think at the depot or rest stops they had phone for drivers so they could call dispatch. 

5 hours ago, ns8401 said:

We would call the next scheduled open station.  In real emergencies, we could call the state highway patrol to stop the bus, and have the driver call in.   CB radio use was against company regulations.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, Shaun said:

So this shut down has been unprecedented, but how will they cycle school buses that have been parked for 6 months to get them to run again?

I'm sure that a lot of them wont even start after sitting for that long. 

Most likely they’ve got a minimal Maintanance compliment that’s been starting them routinely the whole time.

• 3 months later...

Several things I've had in mind about Greyhound Canada lately:

Any idea when will they restart services in Canada? I see it as a really essential service given that it serves towns that are far away from a Via Rail line as well as those far from airports (for instance Collingwood, Sudbury, Hwy 7 between Peterborough and Ottawa). I also found it really weird that Megabus still appears to maintain some service in Canada, and all it does is pretty much duplicate places served by Via corridor trains as well as GO Transit routes, not to mention the busy YUL-YYZ flights on top of that (which I see makes Megabus to be a less essential or non-essential service).

I read recently that Greyhound would move out of the Ottawa central bus terminal (the one right beside the 417). Is there any idea where the new Greyhound station would be when operations restart? Is there one that's under construction or would it be a curbside stop, like Megabus in Montreal?

Does Greyhound still carry a courier or freight service on their remaining routes within ON/QC (the buses that hitch a trailer, do they still have them)?

For Ottawa there is no new terminal being built that I'm aware of. I suspect either they will have 4 options

1)Drop Off/Pick up at the Via Rail Station which located right next to the 417 easy access to Montreal/Toronto/and other locations.

2) Hurdman BRT/LRT Station located 10 mins away from the VIA rail Station and 417.

3)Ottawa Airport like they are in Toronto

4) Street Pick Up/Drop Off.

The thing with the airport there few options getting ther

1)Taxi

2)private car

3)OC Transpo

The airport isn't that far from Downtown. Presently via public transit OC Transpo has bus service to the airport(5 AM to 2 AM I believe) and are build a LRT(Stage 2) of our LRT System which scheduled to be running 2023/2024.

Its not like Toronto where there a "Coach" service to downtown or hotels. Ottawa doesn't have a "Hotel Bus" to the airport like TO does?

Nothing has been mentioned in the media as to where a new location will be. My thoughts are either the Via Rail Station or Hurdman BRT/LRT Station.

13 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

For Ottawa there is no new terminal being built that I'm aware of. I suspect either they will have 4 options

1)Drop Off/Pick up at the Via Rail Station which located right next to the 417 easy access to Montreal/Toronto/and other locations.

2) Hurdman BRT/LRT Station located 10 mins away from the VIA rail Station and 417.

Nothing has been mentioned in the media as to where a new location will be. My thoughts are either the Via Rail Station or Hurdman BRT/LRT Station.

Pick-up/drop-off at the Ottawa Via station makes sense, mainly because of its more convenient Confederation Line connection to downtown (as opposed to the less frequent 7 Carleton to the central terminal).

With Greyhound moving out of Ottawa central, does that make Ontario Northland the only remaining operator there?

Also, has it been confirmed that Greyhound would only serve Pearson Airport and no longer serve the Toronto Coach Terminal?

5 hours ago, anyfong said:

Pick-up/drop-off at the Ottawa Via station makes sense, mainly because of its more convenient Confederation Line connection to downtown (as opposed to the less frequent 7 Carleton to the central terminal).

With Greyhound moving out of Ottawa central, does that make Ontario Northland the only remaining operator there?

Also, has it been confirmed that Greyhound would only serve Pearson Airport and no longer serve the Toronto Coach Terminal?

Ontario Northland and I believe another operator that serves Grand Remous, QC. 

I don't believe its official Greyhound will abandon Toronto Coach yet. But again it's not official that Greyhound will even return to Canada at this point

I can't real comment about Toronto whether they'll stay at Downtown terminal or not, but for Ottawa unlike Toronto there very few option for Greyhound to go to.

Unlike Toronto where there several GO Stations, even though there are several BRT/LRT stations through out the city(Ottawa) majority of them are not near the 417.

The 4 closest spots near the 417 are:

1) Via Rail Station(best location overall, quicker to Montreal)

2) Hurdman BRT/LRT Station(2nd best location quicker to Montreal}

3) ST Laurent BRT/LRT Station(3rd best location best to Montreal)

4) Terry Fox BRT Station(best for Toronto) 

Assuming Greyhound does return(and there's been no official word on or if they will return)in Canada, my thoughts are still either Via Rail or Hurdman? But more Via Rail.

13 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

The thing with the airport there few options getting ther

1)Taxi

2)private car

3)OC Transpo

The airport isn't that far from Downtown. Presently via public transit OC Transpo has bus service to the airport(5 AM to 2 AM I believe) and are build a LRT(Stage 2) of our LRT System which scheduled to be running 2023/2024.

Its not like Toronto where there a "Coach" service to downtown or hotels. Ottawa doesn't have a "Hotel Bus" to the airport like TO does?

OC Transpo has bus service to the airport almost 24 hours every day. Just Sunday morning, they have a three to four hour gap. 

Saturday service (Sunday early morning), the last 97 departure from the airport is 2:20 AM. Rideau Centre, N97 departs at 2:44 AM. Service resumes at 5:22 AM from the airport and 6:25 AM from Rideau on the Sunday schedule. Roughly 3 hours from airport and 4 hours if from Rideau.

Still, I think it would be a big adjustment regarding how Greyhound continues operations outside of Ottawa Central Station. Especially since some people connect to another transit option or someone picks them up. 

8 hours ago, anyfong said:

Yeah, it's definitely valid to doubt whether Greyhound would ever return to Canada again. Even their US operations are not safe from closure.

I remember my last time I took Greyhound which was almost 5 years ago. The Toronto to Ottawa trip being a challenge since there is only so much capacity along with the length of the trip. Last few times I visited, I took Via-Rail noting that it does connect me directly downtown in less than 10 minutes via Tremblay along with the marketing. Before that, I did take a flight and see the ad saying "get to downtown in 25 minutes."

The challenge is that providing bus operations is expensive and if there is 5 or 50 people for that trip, it would be hard to forecast demand ensuring there is enough resources on-hand to assist. Do you still run that bus for those 5 people or cancel it noting that some areas it is very limited in departures without much flexibility. Which can be very challenging and tricky based on total costs.

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2020 at 3:13 AM, GTAmissions1 said:

OC Transpo has bus service to the airport almost 24 hours every day. Just Sunday morning, they have a three to four hour gap. 

Saturday service (Sunday early morning), the last 97 departure from the airport is 2:20 AM. Rideau Centre, N97 departs at 2:44 AM. Service resumes at 5:22 AM from the airport and 6:25 AM from Rideau on the Sunday schedule. Roughly 3 hours from airport and 4 hours if from Rideau.

Still, I think it would be a big adjustment regarding how Greyhound continues operations outside of Ottawa Central Station. Especially since some people connect to another transit option or someone picks them up. 

I remember my last time I took Greyhound which was almost 5 years ago. The Toronto to Ottawa trip being a challenge since there is only so much capacity along with the length of the trip. Last few times I visited, I took Via-Rail noting that it does connect me directly downtown in less than 10 minutes via Tremblay along with the marketing. Before that, I did take a flight and see the ad saying "get to downtown in 25 minutes."

The challenge is that providing bus operations is expensive and if there is 5 or 50 people for that trip, it would be hard to forecast demand ensuring there is enough resources on-hand to assist. Do you still run that bus for those 5 people or cancel it noting that some areas it is very limited in departures without much flexibility. Which can be very challenging and tricky based on total costs.

I think it's bases on the total revenue for the entire day for that route. There are runs that require overflow buses, like the overnight bus between Toronto and Ottawa usually leaves people waiting for an overflow bus (if one shows up at all).  During the week the mid day runs may not be as busy. 

I was also thinking that it's a shame that in Ontario PMCL was a good carrier until it got absorbed into Greyhound.  If greyhound doesn't come back, PMCL will die with them. 

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I think it's bases on the total revenue for the entire day for that route. There are runs that require overflow buses, like the overnight bus between Toronto and Ottawa usually leaves people waiting for an overflow bus (if one shows up at all).  During the week the mid day runs may not be as busy. 

I was also thinking that it's a shame that in Ontario PMCL was a good carrier until it got absorbed into Greyhound.  If greyhound doesn't come back, PMCL will die with them. 

In my opinion PMCL already died within Greyhound already. Most of the routes are gone already.

The only thing thats left is

One R/T to Barrie and one R/T to Owen Sound via Barrie. That and the Toronto Pearson Airport License

18 hours ago, Shaun said:

Speaking as a former employee, PMCL died 20 years ago. Welcome to 2021.

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

There are still some PLCL bus stops out there around Caledon.

So?

On a walk years ago at Big chute, I noticed most of the tieplates on the original marine railway had Temiskaming & Northern Ontario initials cast into them.

Doesn't make it any less dead.

49 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Question?

How many  "subs" & who/what companies did Greyhound Canada/USA have?

I know:

• Voyageur
  • PMCL
  • Vermont Transit
  • TM&O

Not sure if there anymore?

These are not complete lists by any means, but off the top of my head here's a list of companies that were either purchased by Greyhound or were subsidiaries:

Greyhound Canada:

• Brewster (since been sold off)
  • Chatham Coach Lines (Cha-Co Trails)
  • Gray Coach Lines
  • Gray Line of Victoria/Gray Line West
  • Grey Goose Lines
  • Penetang-Midland Coach Lines (PMCL)
  • Voyageur Colonial Bus Lines (Voyageur)

Greyhound Lines (US):

• Americanos
  • BoltBus
  • Carolina Trailways
  • Texas, New Mexico & Oklahoma (TNM&O)
  • Valley Transit Company
  • Vermont Transit

The current Greyhound Canada was formed from two separate companies, Eastern Canadian Greyhound Lines and Western Canadian Greyhound Lines. Similarly, in the early days there were separate companies for each region in the US, such as Atlantic, Capitol, Central, Dixie, Florida, Great Lakes, New England, Northland, Northwestern, Pacific, Pennsylvania, Southeastern, and Southwestern Greyhound Lines.

• Thanks 1