Miscellaneous Greyhound discussion

Tom1122

14 hours ago, Shaun said:

Did you just take the whole time table and guess what would happen, based on no factual information?

Yes, I did "guess" what would happen, but not "based on no factual information". I assumed that any Greyhound Canada route competing with government-funded services such as Ontario Northland or GO Transit would be discontinued, simply because they would be at a competitive disadvantage. I assumed that most commuter services would be discontinued because Greyhound's CEO couldn't get rid of them fast enough in the US. I also assumed that all routes through sparsely-populated areas would be reduced or discontinued, simply because they were indeed reduced or discontinued in BC. I additionally assumed that the "rumors" mentioned by @DavidW have some merit. Lastly, I assumed that any route which would be discontinued had it been operating in the deregulated US would be discontinued.

16 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Would GLI want to run stuff in Canada? I’m not sure what you’re getting at with those last few...

I think you guys misunderstood; the statements about GLI were based on what @roeco said about cutting the White River - Toronto. If that were done, GLC would have no way of getting buses between the West and the East. Therefore, I believe GLC would keep operating in the West with their trailer-capable units and GLI would rotate equipment into GLC routes in the east, as they currently already do. Yes, the schedule are listed "GLC" in the timetable, but the equipment would be GLI. It would allow GLC to reduce TOR and reduce or eliminate the OTG maintenance center.

GLI did destroy the NYD, SFD, MSP, and SEA maintenance centers.

1 hour ago, Swadian said:

Yes, I did "guess" what would happen, but not "based on no factual information". I assumed that any Greyhound Canada route competing with government-funded services such as Ontario Northland or GO Transit would be discontinued, simply because they would be at a competitive disadvantage. I assumed that most commuter services would be discontinued because Greyhound's CEO couldn't get rid of them fast enough in the US. I also assumed that all routes through sparsely-populated areas would be reduced or discontinued, simply because they were indeed reduced or discontinued in BC. I additionally assumed that the "rumors" mentioned by @DavidW have some merit. Lastly, I assumed that any route which would be discontinued had it been operating in the deregulated US would be discontinued.

I think you guys misunderstood; the statements about GLI were based on what @roeco said about cutting the White River - Toronto. If that were done, GLC would have no way of getting buses between the West and the East. Therefore, I believe GLC would keep operating in the West with their trailer-capable units and GLI would rotate equipment into GLC routes in the east, as they currently already do. Yes, the schedule are listed "GLC" in the timetable, but the equipment would be GLI. It would allow GLC to reduce TOR and reduce or eliminate the OTG maintenance center.

My only thoughts are that eliminating GLC in favor of GLI is basically just paperwork. Before we go ahead and close any maintenance centers though, we still need to service them somewhere... 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, Swadian said:

I just looked through the Greyhound Canada System Timetable and if they want to cut more we could anticipate:

• Ottawa - Sudbury: Discontinued, replaced by Ontario Northland.
  • Kamloops - Kelowna - Penticton: Reduced to 1x daily
  • Calgary - Lethbridge - Kelowna: Reduced to 3x weekly
  • Edmonton - Fort McMurray: Reduced to 1x daily
  • Edmonton - Saskatoon: Discontinued, 1x daily Edmonton - Winnipeg retained
  • Winnipeg - Thompson: Reduced to 3x weekly
  • Winnipeg - Flin Flon: Reduced to 3x weekly
  • Winnipeg - Toronto: Reduced to 3x weekly
  • Thompson - Gilliam: Reduced to 2x weekly
  • Thompson - Cross Lake: Reduced to 1x weekly
  • Toronto Area Commuter Service: Discontinued, replaced by GO Transit
  • Peterborough - Pembroke: Discontinued
  • Toronto - Owen Sound: Discontinued, replaced by GO Transit or Ontario Northland
  • Ottawa - Cornwall: Discontinued
  • Montreal - Ottawa: Replaced by GLI
  • Ottawa - Kingston: Replaced by GLI
  • Toronto - Ottawa: Replaced by GLI
  • Toronto - London: Replaced by GLI

They initially  did reduce Edmonton-Ft McMurray to 1 x daily but then re instated the day run to / from Ft Mac as it is pretty much full 4/7 days a week in last round of Ab cuts.

Reducing the service on day run may be a possibility. 

I think Greyhound will continue daily on TCH. Sudbury to Ottawa may be a possibility to cut and just let ONT feed into Greyhound. Im not really sure about Saskatoon to Winnipeg possibly discontinued or reduction in frequency.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, ns8401 said:

My only thoughts are that eliminating GLC in favor of GLI is basically just paperwork. Before we go ahead and close any maintenance centers though, we still need to service them somewhere... 

I agree, they probably shouldn't downright close any maintenance centers but greatly reducing OTG and somewhat reducing TOR is a possibly. After all, they did just lay off employees at VAN and EDM.

GLC used to run in the US and have a USDOT number so not sure why GLI couldn't run in Canada. Anyway, I agree it would all be paperwork.

19 hours ago, roeco said:

They initially  did reduce Edmonton-Ft McMurray to 1 x daily but then re instated the day run to / from Ft Mac as it is pretty much full 4/7 days a week in last round of Ab cuts.

Reducing the service on day run may be a possibility. 

I think Greyhound will continue daily on TCH. Sudbury to Ottawa may be a possibility to cut and just let ONT feed into Greyhound. Im not really sure about Saskatoon to Winnipeg possibly discontinued or reduction in frequency.

Concurred.

47 minutes ago, Swadian said:

I agree, they probably shouldn't downright close any maintenance centers but greatly reducing OTG and somewhat reducing TOR is a possibly. After all, they did just lay off employees at VAN and EDM.

GLC used to run in the US and have a USDOT number so not sure why GLI couldn't run in Canada. Anyway, I agree it would all be paperwork.

Concurred.

Where, besides the border cities of Buffalo and Detroit, did GLC ever run in the States?  

Oh, I left out the other entry city of Syracuse, on that less than daily run from, Ottawa...

50 minutes ago, traildriver said:

Where, besides the border cities of Buffalo and Detroit, did GLC ever run in the States?  

Oh, I left out the other entry city of Syracuse, on that less than daily run from, Ottawa...

Not GLC as an operator; GLC equipment on GLI schedules. That's if GLC gets rid of a section on the TCH, leaving the Western and Eastern fleets separated. In that case, GLC could conveniently "get rid of" the Eastern fleet (which don't need trailer hitches) and lay off some OTG and TOR employees.

GLI G4500s did run out of Vancouver to Kelowna, Kamloops, and Whistler.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:41 AM, Swadian said:

Keep in mind that GO Transit is currently not allowed to directly connect some cities, it is required to make the customer transfer. Greyhound has the ability to provide direct service without transfers, making it more convenient. 

If Greyhound where to pull out of a route, GO transit would need permission to run on that route without a transfer. 

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

Keep in mind that GO Transit is currently not allowed to directly connect some cities, it is required to make the customer transfer. Greyhound has the ability to provide direct service without transfers, making it more convenient. 

If Greyhound where to pull out of a route, GO transit would need permission to run on that route without a transfer. 

Well that makes sense. If Greyhound did pull out, GO would probably be granted permission to run the exact same routes and schedules.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:51 PM, DavidW said:

Rumours continue to circulate that Greyhound Canada might be making news in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and northern Ontario in the early fall, 2018 (and not good news).

It could be a tumultuous Fall.

It appears an announcement of some nature is expected Monday 09 July 2018.

29 minutes ago, vortoozo said:

More routes abandoned than I expected. I expected Manitoba, Saskatchewan and northwestern Ontario.  I'm surprised that services in Alberta and B.C. also got cut.  I'm also surprised they have abandoned freight operations in the same areas.  I've always been told that Greyhound Courier Express was profitable, especially in Western Canada.

I'm guessing we're in for a chaotic period of small and fly-by-night carriers trying to pick up the pieces (and more failing than succeeding). 

12 minutes ago, DavidW said:

I'm guessing we're in for a chaotic period of small and fly-by-night carriers trying to pick up the pieces (and more failing than succeeding). 

Most will probably offer better service than Greyhound.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DavidW said:

More routes abandoned than I expected. I expected Manitoba, Saskatchewan and northwestern Ontario.  I'm surprised that services in Alberta and B.C. also got cut.  I'm also surprised they have abandoned freight operations in the same areas.  I've always been told that Greyhound Courier Express was profitable, especially in Western Canada.

Their are many corridors that are profitable and GCX especially..Im very surprised about BC and Alberta operations and I can see them cutting down the frequencies in other parts of Canada but to Abandon altogether that's just disturbing...The Vancouver to Kelowna and Calgary corridors def do make $$...as does many Alberta routes. 

As early as last year, I've seen a few Greyhound Canada D4505 coaches branded for Gray Line Sightseeing. Best as I can tell these are used on Gray Line Sightseeing packages to Niagara Falls. The Gray Line website also lists a hop-on/hop-off tour of Toronto. Is this the City Sightseeing Toronto tour? Is there some sort of co-operation between the two companies? City Sightseeing Toronto appears to offer the same tours on their website.

On 7/18/2018 at 2:09 PM, ADB said:

As early as last year, I've seen a few Greyhound Canada D4505 coaches branded for Gray Line Sightseeing. Best as I can tell these are used on Gray Line Sightseeing packages to Niagara Falls. The Gray Line website also lists a hop-on/hop-off tour of Toronto. Is this the City Sightseeing Toronto tour? Is there some sort of co-operation between the two companies? City Sightseeing Toronto appears to offer the same tours on their website.

Greyhound Canada has had three D4505 coaches (1298, 1299, 1302) wrapped for Gray Line Sightseeing since 2016. Before that they used ex-Hotard 102-DL3 coaches (1315, 1319, 1320, 1321), also in a special livery. Yes to my knowledge they are used on the Niagara Falls tour packages.

The Bus and Boat Company holds the Gray Line franchise for Toronto, and I believe they acquired it through amalgamation of different tour companies. Before the ex-Megabus TD925 coaches replaced most of the fleet, they had acquired some double deck buses that kept the Gray Line logos on them. Recently they have focused on using the City Sightseeing branding for the hop-on/hop-off downtown tour, but much of their older equipment had Gray Line logos in addition to City Sightseeing (or whatever other brand).

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:55 AM, vortoozo said:

No doubt that Wilson's and others will be looking at Vancouver to Kelowna and other profitable routes.

I can see them looking at Vancouver to Kelowna and Kamloops, possibly all the way to Calgary and even Kamloops to Edmonton via Jasper. And Kamloops to Prince Geroge.

You may see them establish a Kamloops or Kelowna base also.

With most of the rest being serviced by BC Bus (Pacific Western)

• 3 weeks later...

More unsubstantiated gossip from Greyhound...

Greyhound in western Canada has begun to lose staff, and there is some doubt that schedules can be maintained until October 31st.

A trade journal reported that FirstBus was chatting with an Italian entity about a reasonable purchase price for Greyhound (all of Greyhound)...

I guess anyone planning to ride one of Greyound's last day trips in western Canada had better be prepared for short-notice cancellations. Buses can't go anywhere without drivers...

1 hour ago, traildriver said:

A little late to try to sell the company.   They should have tried a long time ago, when it was still worth something....

If Greyhound simply ceased to exist one day the ripple effect may not be as big as we think... all the interline companies would take their routes and buses (the good ones) so fast it’s likely they’d have the routes up and running fast with better service... there is no real reason for it to remain a going concern.

Something is up because everything has gone to hell systemwide in the last week or two. Heard a story today from one of the managers that Cleveland has so much freight sitting there that they have a hard time finding a place to load and unload passengers... 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, DavidW said:

More unsubstantiated gossip from Greyhound...

Greyhound in western Canada has begun to lose staff, and there is some doubt that schedules can be maintained until October 31st.

A trade journal reported that FirstBus was chatting with an Italian entity about a reasonable purchase price for Greyhound (all of Greyhound)...

I guess anyone planning to ride one of Greyound's last day trips in western Canada had better be prepared for short-notice cancellations. Buses can't go anywhere without drivers...

If Schedules cant be maintained maybe you will see frequency reductions very fast!!  Effective later in Aug Cold Shot will start their first Gp to Ed schedule!!