2013 Edmonton and Area Spottings

t_harris01

They were doing artic training...

I know that. I can read.

Umm Terry, they don't run Artics at all on weekends, remember? :P

Well, that *could* have changed since I left. :P Whether they run some or none doesn't change the fact that there are more (or all) artics available to do training on during the weekend.

Since they don't run any artics, then they would have even more available units. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Board Admin
In the past 11 years, Edmonton Transit System (ETS) ridership has nearly doubled, increasing from 44 million rides in 2002 to 86.7 million rides in 2013.

As more and more Edmontonians choose to take public transit, ridership on ETS has increased by 1.6 million rides, which is 1.8 per cent over the projected increase for 2013. At 86.7 million, the total ridership for 2013 is 4 million rides more than 2012, an increase of over 5 percent.

“Edmonton Transit continues to enjoy outstanding success in attracting riders in a trend that started in 2002,” said Charles Stolte, manager of Edmonton Transit. “Getting more people to travel actively and sustainably is one of the City’s highest priorities and these numbers show that we are definitely travelling in the right direction.”

http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/11285529/ab-ets-ridership-doubles-in-11-years

Ideally, if you had good connections you wouldn't need massive buildings at transit centers, and a multi million dollar transit terminal building isn't exactly "little", and I further doubt a single rider started riding transit because of a transit terminal has a nice place to wait, or that a rider chooses to remain taking transit because they have a nice transit terminal to wait in after you miss your once every 30 minute bus. Classy interiors!?!?!? They're plain, and standard. Smart routes?! Great service?! The routes are generally the same as they were in 2002 which was the same as 1997.

I'm not saying ETS is piss poor, but, there hasn't been much in the way of improvements either since 2002. I don't see much difference other than continually expanding routes outwards, while the core service gets neglected and doesn't get the service hours it needs.

Generally speaking, we still have at best 15 minute bus service along the full length of a route. I would be impressed to see some routes go to 10 minute service. Sure, there are portions of routes that for time period might see better service, but, that generally is inconsistent, except for the route 5/ 135.

The two best things they've done, obviously, is LRT. That alone has brought more people onto transit, be it the SLRT extension, or U-Pass bringing more people on.

Would be curious to know the breakdown of how many additional riders are U-Pass holders, and how many are riders because of the LRT extension.

Yes, they are still riders, but, I think the most telling figure to look at would be where has the regular buses attracted riders, vs. population growth.

The second thing ETS has done is crosstown routes. The 137, 23 and to a lesser extent, the 33 are doing pretty damn good right now. This is probably the only improvement to the bus system that could actually make it attractive to potential riders. Having said that, the 23 serves a lot of U-Pass holders, although it does get its share of Downtown commuters who might be new to transit.