Calif. teacher distracted while taking photos on train tracks killed by locomotive traveling from opposite direction

TheAverageJoe

Kathy Carlisle, described as a popular teacher at St. Francis High School in Sacramento, died Saturday on train tracks near the school. It was unclear whether an oncoming train that hit her from behind had blown its whistle.

article-carlisle-2-1211.jpg

KCRA.com

St. Francis High School in Sacramento, Calif., held a prayer service in honor of visual arts teacher Kathy Carlise.

A beloved photography teacher at a California high school was taking pictures of an oncoming train when she was struck and killed by another locomotive coming from behind her.

A prayer service was held Monday for Kathy Carlisle, who taught visual arts at St. Francis High School in Sacramento and was well-known for her love of photography.

“We’re taking this opportunity to really reflect on the tremendous gift that she was to our community,” Margo Reid Brown, the president of St. Francis, told NBC affiliate KCRA. “She was so skilled and passionate in her work, and really had a gift. The girls understood that she had a gift to share with them.”

It wasn’t clear whether Carlisle, 52, was on the Sacramento train tracks on Saturday as part of a school-related project. The tracks are located near the school.

article-carlisle-1-1211.jpg

Kathy Carlisle was struck and killed by a train that she didn't see coming while photographing another train on a Sacramento track.

Police said the wife and mother of three was hit by a Union Pacific train around 2:30 p.m. Whether the conductor blew a whistle to alert Carlisle wasn't immediately known.

Carlisle was often found carrying her camera. She had an interest in the Holocaust, and headed up local student exhibitions on the subject, according to reports.

“I’ve taught it every year and for me it’s just a really compelling way to help students understand how those issues of racism and genocide actually apply to their lives today,” she once said, according to The Sacramento Bee.

School was closed Monday, and students used Twitter to express their grief and respect for Carlisle.

“Mrs. Carlisle showed me how to convey the beauty in everything and everyone,” Gaby Enos tweeted. “She will be greatly missed.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/calif-teacher-killed-train-photos-article-1.1217517

Sorry but this is pure darwin award imo. Having worked on railways you never ever put yourself in a position where you may be in conflict with a moving piece of equipment, even if it is a crossing arm.

Reminds me of that guy in England recording a steam engine only to have a class 170 pass inches away from him.

Sorry but this is pure darwin award imo. Having worked on railways you never ever put yourself in a position where you may be in conflict with a moving piece of equipment, even if it is a crossing arm.

Reminds me of that guy in England recording a steam engine only to have a class 170 pass inches away from him.

Its not the 1st time and this will not be the last, this is another reminder to stay off the tracks at all times!

My sympathies are with the train crew who were by all indications only doing their jobs, yet have to endure the terrible trauma associated with striking and killing a trespasser.

Posters on a western U.S. railroad bulletin board who are familiar with the area have said that these tracks are located on an embankment 25 to 30 feet high. If true, there is no way that Ms. Carlisle could have accessed the right-of-way without intentionally trespassing on it (and undertaking some significant physical effort to do so). It's horrible that her gross negligence has deprived her three children of their mother and traumatized her students, but she absolutely should have known better.

Also - if the train which struck her had a recent-vintage locomotive in the lead, then I believe it would have a version of a 'black box' which records if and when the engineer blows the horn, applies the brakes and other actions.

Also - if the train which struck her had a recent-vintage locomotive in the lead, then I believe it would have a version of a 'black box' which records if and when the engineer blows the horn, applies the brakes and other actions.

Every locomotive in North America has a "black box". The info is stored as part of the RSC/alerter system.

Dan