tomsbuspage

Vintage OTC/OC Transpo/CTCRO/STO transit system photos thread

Today's #TBT Lost Ottawa post brings you. The former Rideau Transit Mall 

• Like 1

Tyat also oneof OC Transpo Post Cards by Ted Wickenson.(JVL Visuals"? I think that what irt was called?)

55 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Tyat also oneof OC Transpo Post Cards by Ted Wickenson.(JVL Visuals"? I think that what irt was called?)

I have some of those postcards.  The printer was Dexter Colour Canada and the distributor was JBC Visuals (not my photo):

s-l1600.jpg

image.thumb.png.b729f98e475adbf4a1d3e4925f9f5cc9.png

2 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Today's OC Transpo TBT tweet:

That's the same photo I shared in this thread a year ago. I shared it to remember my late Grandma who used to take me on that route when I was a little child.

• Like 2

Someone on Instagram posted some Gm New look pictures under the #octranspo hashtag.

• Like 3

This charter took place November 28, 2004 and used 4087 as the charter bus.

Throughout the video, you can see a brand new Invero as well as a Classic and 1992 Orion V at one point.

• Like 1

OC Transpo TDH-5105 no. 5961 is shown parked at the St. Laurent garage in the summer of 1973.  All but two OC Transpo GM "Old Look" buses retained their old OTC livery until they were retired in 1979, the two exceptions being 5101 and 5931.  A Fishbowl in the green OTC paint scheme can barely be seen at the far left of the photo, as can an old OTC bus stop on the streetlight pole next to it.

The Ponderosa Steak House across St. Laurent Blvd. became a Red Lobster in 1984, and that restaurant is still located there today.  I love the prices for the steak lunch and dinner, which even after nearly six-times inflation would still be a bargain!  ($1.19 in 1973 = $7.01 in 2019 and $2.09 in 1973 = $12.30 in 2019, according to the Bank of Canada's online inflation calculator).  Also, the speed limit on St. Laurent Blvd. was 40 MPH at the time, but it has since been raised to 70 km/h.

s-l1600.jpg

This slide is up for auction by "ttcbeat" and is being used for educational purposes only.

image.thumb.png.eaf532d55b8ccb6425da9c350fb231c5.png

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, tomsbuspage said:

The Ponderosa Steak House across St. Laurent Blvd. became a Red Lobster in 1984, and that restaurant is still located there today.  I love the prices for the steak lunch and dinner, which even after nearly six-times inflation would still be a bargain!  ($1.19 in 1973 = $7.01 in 2019 and $2.09 in 1973 = $12.30 in 2019, according to the Bank of Canada's online inflation calculator).  Also, the speed limit on St. Laurent Blvd. was 40 MPH at the time, but it has since been raised to 70 km/h.

Your calculation is not quite right. The CPI is a composite index. If you want to compare apples, you have to isolate the apples : you cannot take the whole fruit salad! Prices of non-durable goods and services evoluted differently from durable goods. For $ 1.19 of restaurant food in 1973, you would get the equivalent of $ 9.45 in 2019 (decent price for a top blade or top round steak, though these cuts are not to find in restaurants anymore...).

• Thanks 1

OC Transpo Orion-Ikarus 8501. This was the only unit in the series with small windows at the bottom of the rear doors. This bus was to be persevered in the Historical fleet but was scrapped in 2008 due to budget cuts.

8501 _Bob Hussey_.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

OC Transpo Orion-Ikarus 8501. This was the only unit in the series with small windows at the bottom of the rear doors. This bus was to be persevered in the Historical fleet but was scrapped in 2008 due to budget cuts.

8501 _Bob Hussey_.jpg

It was 2007, I believe.

And so where a few others Orion I 8390(I think), Flyer D70? 8704(I think). It's to bad, but I understand it costs money to preserve the fleet. But what don't get is, is it that hard to just store them?

In all honesty OC doesn't really seem to care anymore about the Historical fleet, just look at the ones they've kept?

23 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

And so where a few others Orion I 8390(I think), Flyer D70? 8704(I think). It's to bad, but I understand it costs money to preserve the fleet. But what don't get is, is it that hard to just store them?

In all honesty OC doesn't really seem to care anymore about the Historical fleet, just look at the ones they've kept?

I was at the Pinecrest Garage last week and all current historic buses are stored inside the garage. 

They have all not be touched for a very very long time and I have no idea what their fate holds in store for them.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:09 PM, MCIBUS said:

No they don't, and haven't for the past 20+ years. 

On 6/11/2019 at 5:30 PM, STO_1601 said:

8501 _Bob Hussey_.jpg

8533 went to the Hungarian pavilion at Expo 86 in Vancouver.

There's no #TBT tweet this week, but here's a Facebook post from Lost Ottawa:

Ottawa Electric Railway scenic car no. 312, built in 1900 and named for its destination at Britannia-on-the-Bay.

On a hot summer day, a trip out to Britannia Park in this open air car must have been delightful!

(LAC C-002461)

image.thumb.png.5fb6e67f13827c0b49b50901691dedf9.png

This weeks #TBT comes from Lost Ottawa with a view looking north from the Chateau Laurier  with the former Streetcar tracks and Rail line heading to Hull QC.

• Like 2

Today's #TBT tweet:

However, four things tell me that this photo was not taken in 1985:

1. There are no 1980s cars in the photo.
  2. The bus has red OTC-style rollsigns.  OC Transpo's 1972 Fishbowls had black three-digit rollsigns by 1985.
  3. The bus appears to have blue-on-white license plates.  Ontario's bus plates have been black-on-white since 1980.
  4. Route 77 was renumbered to route 117 in September 1984.

I think OC Transpo meant to say that this photo was taken in 1975 and made a typo.  No biggie to me... B)

image.thumb.png.bbe8b7b597681f5c8b62ee1246c526a7.png

Cruising through @Carleton_U in 1985. #tbt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK, I found these two photos dated 1974 on eBay and I'm just going to put them here with the question: Blue Line coaches?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

image.thumb.png.a206d1f6f835257d581e6b6767621054.pngimage.thumb.png.4dfc85d0764946cee5133579d3cd665d.png

• Thanks 1

OC Transpo 8860 seen on Wellington Street on Route 7. The 88s were the only 4-door Ikaruses in OC Transpo's fleet along with the ex-TTC units

octranspo8860_f-vi.jpg

• Like 3