tomsbuspage

Vintage OTC/OC Transpo/CTCRO/STO transit system photos thread

18 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Is just me  or do all or lest all Quebec agencies have very similar paint schemes(the blue)

18 hours ago, webfil said:

Are you referring to the green+grey/navy+grey/orange+grey scheme of the RTC? Or the teal+gold scheme of the STSherbrooke? Or the red and white scheme of the RTL and STTR? Maybe the black/grey/ white scheme of CTJM?

Apart from the STO/STLévis/STLaval and STSaguenay/Transcollines schemes that I would not differentiate in the dark, there is a good diversity of color schemes throughout the different agencies.

That may be true today, but at one time most of Quebec's major transit agencies used light blue on their buses, at least in the Fishbowl era.  Even the CTRSM, which started off with red-and-white buses from their inception, carried blue over from the old Metropolitain Sud system:

Chicoutimi:

chicoutimi7906f-vi.jpg

Gatineau:

sto7901f-vi.jpg

Levis:

levis8210f-vi.jpg

Longueuil:

rtl4802f-vi.jpg

Montreal:

montreal23138f-vi.jpg

Quebec City:

quebeccity8030f-vi.jpg

Sherbrooke:

sherbrooke31104f-vi.jpg

Trois-Rivières:

troisrivieres7702f-vi.jpg

All photos are from ESBDave's fotki page.  Photo credits are in the frames.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.thumb.png.efb9172cb6d240b44b436ef3ea935c8f.png

• Like 1

On February 6, 2019 at 6:40 PM, dudebrains said:

Whoa!

now THAT’S REALLY WEIRD! I know the sto had some ex-Québec Classics for a while and kept the stcuq scheme but to see an Sto fishbowl with the ctcuq feels all wrong.

Then there is this bus, of course:

https://public.fotki.com/esbdave/canadian-transit/ontario-transit-agencies/oc-transpo/oc-transpo-8014af.html

2 hours ago, dudebrains said:

That's just plain confusing...

Tell me about it!

Back when I was in school, there was STO 8015 and OC Transpo 8015, both of which were blue and white.  I had to wait until an ex-STO was almost at the bus stop before I could tell which agency's bus was coming.

OK, I just organized some files from a trip in 2004 -- which now counts as vintage!

Here are four Fishbowls holding down PM rush hour on Albert St. There wasn't much time left to see that many Fishbowls together in one place. It's not a great pic, but it gives a good "true-to-life" feel for Ottawa rush hour while the Confederation Line was a distant dream.

IMG_5136.thumb.JPG.7d32272c9a378f3c275c1c8cdbf42cce.JPG

Then, this would seem like an unremarkable pic of 4201 -- but it was the only Invero in service at the time. As I recall, there was a gap of several months between this launch unit and mass deployment. I caught it laying up on the eastern edge of Downtown; the operator saw me taking the pic and said something like, "it can be yours for only a dollar!" Not sure if that was a jab at the vehicle's quality, or if he was just being cheeky-friendly.

IMG_5106.thumb.JPG.1cfe42fc6d593d953d73d965118d62b4.JPG

Enjoy! I have several more pics from this era if anyone is interested.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

OK, I just organized some files from a trip in 2004 -- which now counts as vintage!

Here are four Fishbowls holding down PM rush hour on Albert St. There wasn't much time left to see that many Fishbowls together in one place. It's not a great pic, but it gives a good "true-to-life" feel for Ottawa rush hour while the Confederation Line was a distant dream.

Then, this would seem like an unremarkable pic of 4201 -- but it was the only Invero in service at the time. As I recall, there was a gap of several months between this launch unit and mass deployment. I caught it laying up on the eastern edge of Downtown; the operator saw me taking the pic and said something like, "it can be yours for only a dollar!" Not sure if that was a jab at the vehicle's quality, or if he was just being cheeky-friendly.

Thanks for the photos! I'd be interested to see the rest if you don't mind. 

On 2/7/2019 at 12:07 PM, tomsbuspage said:

That may be true today, but at one time most of Quebec's major transit agencies used light blue on their buses, at least in the Fishbowl era.  Even the CTRSM, which started off with red-and-white buses from their inception, carried blue over from the old Metropolitain Sud system:

Indeed. But that rather short period of uniformity abruptly succeeded to diversity at the time the expropriations came into effect. Before that, the palette for buses and trams was cheerful : orange for Chambly and Charlesbourg, light yellow and vivid green for Dupont, burgundy and yellow for QRL&P, bright red for Québec Autobus, yellow-ish brown for CTCUM, dark green for Hull and so on.

To my knowledge, Provincial and its Métropolitain sisters/subsidiaries, as well as Sherbrooke Transit made early use of the light blue tones that spread throughout the province in the seventies.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

I love the fact you got a photo of 7764 doing an X84, which at the time meant it was doing its peak period extension. The route itself was branched as 2 routes on September 5th, 2005 as C84 and E84, then both were cancelled on August 31st, 2008 where C84 became route 114 and E84 become route 98 as we know it today.

Original route Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_84(old).thumb.gif.4e1faa33431ced1ce4dd5676b39fd98b.gif September 1st. 2002

Branched into 2 routes Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_84.thumb.gif.4707595963c754e7493d988cd9158bde.gif September 4th, 2005

C84 -> 114 Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_114_map_(2008)-a.thumb.png.cb4c315d587a4f960d5fd506f6aa2595.png    E84 -> 98 Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_98_map_(2008)-a.thumb.png.7321bcfec3b58fb7efb7faeae6aba915.png on August 31st, 2008

Since there is no #TBT Tweet today, why not I share one today instead.

OC Transpo 7448 spotted downtown at Conferdation Square in June 1975. (Photo by Paul A. Bateson)

05072 - OC 7448 - Ottawa, Confederation Square - 17 Jun 1975

• Like 4

2 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

OC Transpo 7448 spotted downtown at Conferdation Square in June 1975. (Photo by Paul A. Bateson)

05072 - OC 7448 - Ottawa, Confederation Square - 17 Jun 1975

And for those wondering; yes the 5 did go to Hull during this time.

Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_5_map_(06-1967)-a.png

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

And for those wondering; yes the 5 did go to Hull during this time.

Route 5--the Riverdale bus before 1959--served Hull from 1954, when it replaced the western end of the Hull-St. Patrick streetcar, until 1978, when the route was redirected along Sussex Drive.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, tomsbuspage said:

Tell me about it!

Back when I was in school, there was STO 8015 and OC Transpo 8015, both of which were blue and white.  I had to wait until an ex-STO was almost at the bus stop before I could tell which agency's bus was coming.

OC bought those, I forget when, to cover a fleet shortage. They kept their STO-spec McKay gate exit door, and didn't last very long with OC.

2 minutes ago, Mark Walton said:

OC bought those, I forget when, to cover a fleet shortage. They kept their STO-spec McKay gate exit door, and didn't last very long with OC.

They bought them around late 1995 IIRC.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 6:14 PM, Mark Walton said:

On 2/14/2019 at 6:18 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

They bought them around late 1995 IIRC.

OC leased the buses in 1995 and purchased them in 1997, repainting them at that time.  They were retired by February 1999.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oc4526 said:
If I'm guessing right

This is the site of the former Holland Jct (red marker)

Screenshot_20190219-193514_Maps.thumb.jpg.ccf3bf79a2dd62a66556e88313e7f8d9.jpg

You are guessing right. B)

There's a clearer version of this photo on page 145 of the book Ottawa Streetcars.  The caption says that the photo was taken on April 24, 1956.

OC Transpo 7301 spotted downtown on Wellington Street in July 1973. (Photo by Paul A. Bateson)

04275 - OC 7301 - Ottawa, Wellington Street - 10 Jul 1973

• Like 3

I was sort of at a loss where to post this as it could also go in one of the Toronto forums as it would be of interest here as well, but I think some might find this of interest here.  It's a  Charles Lahickey photo from July 11, 1979, along Queen Street, Gray Coach Lines 1412 alongside PCC 4412. Note the what looks to be an OC Transpo Teletranspo  RekVee Clubcar in the opposite direction very far from home. If there is any doubt the bus is an OC Transpo unit, the fleet number appears to be 9769--97** series number of these buses. I seem to recall reading that because the RekVee buses were owned by the province they often got shuffled around to different agencies i.e. a Kingston Transit RekVee could find itself in TeleTranspo service and vice versa. Or could TeleTranspo buses ever find themselves doing charter work? Image may contain: car, sky and outdoor

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

I was sort of at a loss where to post this as it could also go in one of the Toronto forums as it would be of interest here as well, but I think some might find this of interest here.  It's a  Charles Lahickey photo from July 11, 1979, along Queen Street, Gray Coach Lines 1412 alongside PCC 4412. Note the what looks to be an OC Transpo Teletranspo  RekVee Clubcar in the opposite direction very far from home. If there is any doubt the bus is an OC Transpo unit, the fleet number appears to be 9769--97** series number of these buses. I seem to recall reading that because the RekVee buses were owned by the province they often got shuffled around to different agencies i.e. a Kingston Transit RekVee could find itself in TeleTranspo service and vice versa. Or could TeleTranspo buses ever find themselves doing charter work? Image may contain: car, sky and outdoor

The Greater Toronto Area Forum also has a vintage photo thread