Vintage Ottawa-Gatineau Transit Photos & Discussion

tomsbuspage

34 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

looks like 76Xx or under. You can tell by the sliding window at right rear. I'm not sure when the right rear window switch from a slider to a solid window? I think some where between the 74xx to 76xx series buses?

The solid windows started being ordered with the 57xx series:

OC5746.JPG

This photo was posted on the Lost Ottawa Facebook page today:

image.thumb.png.9a8bbae28152949f22eabd923c67c79e.png

Your Morning Commute via the OTC ... and doesn't it often seem this way on the Ottawa buses?

The photo shows a certain Mrs. Norma McManus hailing bus 253 July of 1962, but it looks like it's too late!

(City of Ottawa Archives CA001658)

On 12/13/2018 at 12:36 PM, MCIBUS said:

looks like 76Xx or under. You can tell by the sliding window at right rear. I'm not sure when the right rear window switch from a slider to a solid window? I think some where between the 74xx to 76xx series buses?

It’s definitely a 74xx or 75xx due to the rear window being a sliding window and there are roof air vents that didn’t exist on the 72xx and 73xx...and then on the 71xx and earlier the small square window could open too. 

While I’m pretty sure GM discountinued the sliding square window, does anyone know why OC chose to select the port side rear window as unopenable?

An even bigger mystery is I why were 1/2 the windows on the mid-series 77xx buses unopenable? Didn’t OC also sequentially skip over a block of numbers in the 77xx series too? They were numbered 7701-7765, but weren’t only about 50 units actually delivered. Was there a batch cancelled from the original 1977 order?

On 12/13/2018 at 11:07 AM, STO_1601 said:

#TBT OC Transpo Twitter Feed:

GM Fishbowl seen in Winterlude 1983.

DuTJ_MCX4AU7Jsf.jpg large.jpg

On 12/13/2018 at 12:36 PM, MCIBUS said:

looks like 76Xx or under. You can tell by the sliding window at right rear.

29 minutes ago, 8792 said:

It’s definitely a 74xx or 75xx due to the rear window being a sliding window and there are roof air vents that didn’t exist on the 72xx and 73xx...and then on the 71xx and earlier the small square window could open too.

If I squint hard enough, I think I can make out that the bus was 7519, but that's a best guess.

3 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

If I squint hard enough, I think I can make out that the bus was 7519, but that's a best guess.

I think it could be 7619. Because if I remember correctly the 75XXs had red turn signals not amber as seen in the photo.

Here is it anyway seen that it does have a rear sliding window (photo taken by Bob Hussey)

octranspo7619f-vi.jpg

6 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

3 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

I think it could be 7619. Because if I remember correctly the 75XXs had red turn signals not amber as seen in the photo.

Here is it anyway seen that it does have a rear sliding window (photo taken by Bob Hussey)

octranspo7619f-vi.jpg

I'm talking about the curbside rear window.  The 75xx Fishbowls were the last GM buses delivered to OC Transpo with the sliding window there.  Note the sealed window on 7737:

OC7737.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, 8792 said:

While I’m pretty sure GM discountinued the sliding square window, does anyone know why OC chose to select the port side rear window as unopenable?

"Port side" is left, those windows opened. The right side, with the sealed window, is "starboard". Montreal eventually put stops on the rearmost windows on both sides to limit their opening to maybe 2 inches - too narrow to stick a hand or a head out.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

OC Transpo Orion Vs 9132 & 9149 seen with their old liveries and their new luminator signs. (photo dates unknown; credited by JanBoic)

IMG_20181208_0089

IMG_20181208_0088

It looks to have been 1999 because there was another photo of 8796 on the 13 Nepean Centre. As of January 2, 2000, that route was phased out.

I've seen some of his other photos during the same era and some buses have the blue RMOC sticker. 

Fun fact: 9132 and 9149 had both been repainted in the leaf livery by September 2000 according to my list. 

EDIT: I just realized that 9132 was already starting to show some minor rust under the windows. 

5 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

It looks to have been 1999 because there was another photo of 8796 on the 13 Nepean Centre. As of January 2, 2000, that route was phased out.

I've seen some of his other photos during the same era and some buses have the blue RMOC sticker. 

Fun fact: 9132 and 9149 had both been repainted in the leaf livery by September 2000 according to my list. 

EDIT: I just realized that 9132 was already starting to show some minor rust under the windows. 

I know it must have been earlier than August 29th, 1999, if you look at the wiki on Route 13 it was shortened to run between Lebreton and Ottawa Rockcliffe (On Aug. 29th, 1999). Nepean Centre portion was replaced by more trips on route 3 during peak periods. Route 13 was cancelled on January 4th, 2000 and replaced by route X3 trips that travel via Mackenzie and Sussex towards Ottawa Rockcliffe.

Source of cancellation; courtesy of @MCIBUS : scan0030.jpg 

Source of shortening; courtesy of @MCIBUS : scan0020.jpg

17 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

OC Transpo Orion Vs 9132 & 9149 seen with their old liveries and their new luminator signs. (photo dates unknown; credited by JanBoic)

IMG_20181208_0089

IMG_20181208_0088

Love these Orion V’s they had an iconic sound and the little destination sign in the back right side

question though, was there any other agencies that ordered the V’s with the flat rear vents like OC Transpo? Here in the GTA and from what I’ve seen in the United States they all had the “raised” rear panels, why was this a option only OC ordered? 

53 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

From OC Transpo's twitter feed:

1991 Orion V 9135 seen at the Ottawa Airport (YOW) in 1995.

Dwjg46GWwAA_Ny4.jpg large.jpg

Not sure what is more of a blast from the past... the old Orion, the old airport terminal, or the fact that an ad related to a cigarette company is on the bus.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, whistler said:

Not sure what is more of a blast from the past... the old Orion, the old airport terminal, or the fact that an ad related to a cigarette company is on the bus.

Not to mention that The bus was most likely a 96, and I don't mean the 96 that replaced express route 90 on September 4th, 2005! I mean the 96 that was cancelled on August 29th, 1999 and replaced by revised routes 87 and 97. https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_96_'Airport/Carlingwood'

On 1/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, whistler said:

Indeed. For the cigarette ad, by that point in the mid-90s, event sponsorship was the only way in which the cigarette makers could advertise. 

Oh the old YOW air terminal building. What an embarrassing way to welcome travelers to the Capital that was. Can you imagine trying to pump through current traffic levels of 5 million passengers into that thing? It would be virtually impossible to do. Even back in 1995, when traffic was under 3 million that place was bursting at the seams. 

Here's a photo of 9147 by J.Veerkamp.

The interesting thing I noticed was that this bus seemed to have the black railway decal at the back. When did these get removed?

I know the GM Classics and the 90XX D40s came with this sticker, but does anybody know if the MCI/Novabus Classics, 92XX D40s, and 92XX Orion Vs came with it?

59F28A15-C181-4E81-B3F1-68518818E763.jpeg