Vintage Ottawa-Gatineau Transit Photos & Discussion

tomsbuspage

On 2/28/2019 at 5:16 PM, tomsbuspage said:

During the tourism season, these buses used Otaco seats upholstered with a nice black-and-dark-red-patterned velour fabric.  However, when OC Transpo got the buses back during the off season, they used the regular pink vinyl seats.

Since there is no visible identification on bus seats anymore is Otaco still in business? If not, who is the major manufacturer?...I know Recaro is common for the driver (and they manufacture a lot of airlines' seats).

16 minutes ago, 8792 said:

Since there is no visible identification on bus seats anymore is Otaco still in business? If not, who is the major manufacturer?...I know Recaro is common for the driver (and they manufacture a lot of airlines' seats).

American seating, 4One, etc.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:31 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Here's a Transitway video recorded back in 1983. This was back when the Transitway had just opened:

Part of the video is in French though, so I could barely understand what they were saying.

Buses featured:

Orion I (couldn't get fleet numbers)

Fishbowl (8113 along with a few others)

GM Artic (pretty sure it was 8204)

Pretty much the report was saying how the goal of the Transitway was to give Ottawa the most efficient transit system in North America (ROFL!!!).  In fact delays of 10 minutes to 1 hour were being experienced (sound familiar?) and drivers were being forced to rush their runs.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, tomsbuspage said:

Tell me about it!

Back when I was in school, there was STO 8015 and OC Transpo 8015, both of which were blue and white.  I had to wait until an ex-STO was almost at the bus stop before I could tell which agency's bus was coming.

Yeah and after OC bought them, they only painted the stripe. The top half of the rear of those buses always stayed white.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, STO_1601 said:

From the CBC Archives 

No 'fancy subway or above ground rail systems'. Oh those idots of circa 1980.

'The result will be more riders'...even though peaking 2 years after opening, OC's ridership then declined steadily for the next decade.

I don't think that bus is on OC property anymore or at least its not listed on OC Garage placement sheet like the other OC Historical buses are? Whether its at Pinecrest that I don't know, then again 412? isn't on the list either but I believe its at Pinecrest or last time I heard it was?

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

I don't think that bus is on OC property anymore or at least its not listed on OC Garage placement sheet like the other OC Historical buses are? Whether its at Pinecrest that I don't know, then again 412? isn't on the list either but I believe its at Pinecrest or last time I heard it was?

I thought I heard it was scrapped in 2015

4 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

I thought I heard it was scrapped in 2015

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

No no, it should still be at pine garage. I saw it there not even a year ago

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

Sorry for going off topic

But is 4024 still at the Pinecrest Garage and has it been restored?

4024 should also still be there (@pine). It was stored behind the garage for almost a year for whatever reason then moved back into the garage some time ago. Last I went inside it was dead but had a bunch of seats in the 2 wheelchair spots (for possible seat restoration?). I don't think OC is gonna fix her up anytime soon.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:42 AM, whistler said:

I was watching a video about transit on the Ontario archives YouTube and at about 5:10 there is a quick shot of Ottawa’s dial a bus. Circa 1973.

906339FB-AED6-4344-BA32-938C1C06A335.png

C9A089AA-6010-4B98-85C1-79A24EB5F98D.jpeg

1CE3B0E5-4A43-4C36-A103-D82A93269575.jpeg

B78F2D96-20B5-48E3-B7B0-DC5AB494ADCB.jpeg

That's cool. The video features 3/4 of the models of teletranspo buses operated by OCT: An International, Mercedes and Dodge/RekVee. Only the Twin coach is missing. The interior of the Rek-Vee was pretty 70's stylish. My dad said that they originally had 440's in them and the operators would drag race them down Innes Road. They later transplanted lethargic diesel engines in them.

• Like 2

I don’t think this has been posted before, if so I missed it...

I found this NFB video from 1972 called “A Bus For Us”. It is about the community of Beacon Hill and how they had no transit service from the OTC, so they established their own express bus with Capital Coach Lines school buses.

Lots of vintage shots of Ottawa and OTC new and old looks.

BA876A21-003E-4AAF-BCDE-8F14A443AC43.jpeg

52243188-05FF-43DD-8251-9588B9D99ADF.jpeg

C6AA6989-64D8-48EC-867F-52644E8CBD55.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

ex-STO 9509 seen at the STLévis garage back in 2014. Photo by Steve Munzio

59352510_2354628298147369_540500468602765312_o.jpg

I love how they just hacked the STO livery by painting over the stripes with their colors.

7 minutes ago, dudebrains said:

I love how they just hacked the STO livery by painting over the stripes with their colors.

It's a common occurrence. STO had ex-RTL Classics that stayed in their original livery because it was close enough to the STO livery.

Sault St. Marie also has our Orion VIs that still remain in the maple leaf livery, but added elements from their own livery as well. Personally, I don't like it because it just seems weird.

• Like 1