O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I've noticed at LRT Station Lyon,Parliament,Rideau & UOttawa all have these arrows on the station Plate forms show you  where to stand before the LRT Trains doors. I know Lee's & Hurdman don't have these arrows(not sure of the other stations)why is that?

They started installation late in the season and didn't get it done before it got too cold. They prioritized the stations where they felt it was most important.

Has anyone had issues with the red vests in regards to taking photography?

I went to Lyon and one red vest stopped me after seeing me take out my Canon. He said he had to make sure it was alright with his superior. The other red vest who was with him just said it was fine, since people take photos anyway with their cameras. I did tell them though I was taking photos of the trains and that I had come all the way from New York. A waste of 10 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

I went to Lyon and one red vest stopped me after seeing me take out my Canon. He said he had to make sure it was alright with his superior. The other red vest who was with him just said it was fine, since people take photos anyway with their cameras. I did tell them though I was taking photos of the trains and that I had come all the way from New York. A waste of 10 minutes.

The only time I've taken pictures/videos to a great extent was on Day 2 (September 15, 2019) after Line 1 opened. I had no issues anybody (O-Train Ambassadors, Whistle blowers, etc). 

I did take a couple of sunset shots at Blair Station on December 24, 2019 and I did not have any problems.

P1030082.thumb.JPG.86b68b431ac4f77a8d5301f1e54313e9.JPGP1030081.thumb.JPG.60c15032eae83e1b9c92ea6e9ec119c2.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

If you run into any more problems,

Quote Subsection 7

Sections A&B of the Transit Bylaw 

20200104_185202.thumb.png.056df0b26beee4a43b319adf9c5c7e70.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

I was at Rideau Station the other day, and two people were taking photos and videos of arriving trains.  Tripod and all.  Train driver even sounded the “ding ding” bell as he was arriving at the station once he saw one of the guys taking a shot.  2 red vests on the platform never said a thing.  Doors opened, guys quickly packed up and got on.

i guess everyone’s experience will vary.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Michel said:

I was at Rideau Station the other day, and two people were taking photos and videos of arriving trains.  Tripod and all.  Train driver even sounded the “ding ding” bell as he was arriving at the station once he saw one of the guys taking a shot.  2 red vests on the platform never said a thing.  Doors opened, guys quickly packed up and got on.

i guess everyone’s experience will vary.

5 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Here's the whole bylaw to quote. Some people are miserable and ignorant so present this and tell them to piss off if they continue to press.

2007-268-Bylaw.pdf 397.38 kB · 3 downloads

I figure that's the case. Besides, I'm pretty sure they want to get as much publicity (okay, maybe not now with all the problems), but after that encounter I was a little wary of being stopped every time. The more individuals ignorant of policies, the higher the chance of getting stopped, even if it's allowed.

Some woman at Lyon got pissed at me because she thought I was recording her (of course not). And then some guy at Long Branch GO station said threateningly that people don't like that sort of stuff (being photographed). All within a 3-day span, more trouble than I've experienced in NYC in a year.

But that was all. The rest was all smooth sailing, especially after visiting the guys at Cornwall Transit. The complete opposite experience. :) 

Haven't had problems yet taking pictures, a couple of the red vests saw me and even suggested places I could take pictures of next (mostly the artwork).

This stuff is always hit-and-miss with the ground staff at any transit agency. TTC in Toronto officially allows for personal photography but last time I did it I got stopped by 6 staff members within two hours all with different interpretations of what exactly the rules were - they didn't accept it even when I showed them what the written bylaw said.

I think for now everyone's still mostly chill with it because it's so new. Wait 5 years and the staff might be a bit less permissive with anything that someone might consider a "professional" camera.

• 2 weeks later...

In this video interview with Mayor Jim Watson, we discuss the opening of the Confederation Line, the ongoing issues, Stage 2 & 3, the Prince of Wales bridge to Gatineau, the future of Hamilton's LRT and more.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/news/inter...anuary-2020

I would also like to invite you all to subscribe to our Youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/c/otrainfans?sub_confirmation=1
More videos are releasing very soon.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Line 1 trains now noticeably accelerate much slower when departing stations than they use to. Not sure why.

Their acceleration and deceleration curves are adjusted depending on traction conditions. If it's particularly slippery, they'll be reduced.

• Thanks 2

Two items of interest:

1) Ottawa Citizen article on why there are staff blowing whistles before the train departs: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/why-are-staff-blowing-whistles-at-every-lrt-station-a-faulty-camera-system-sources

2) Ten (10) double trains are being anticipated to operate tomorrow, as per Citizen Transit Commissioner's tweet based on what is likely an memo to City Council and Transit Commission: https://twitter.com/sarahmeaghang/status/1222321396438700032

12 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

Spotted 1137 and 1138 coupled together at the MSF, so at least two cars are complete and under testing. Maybe theyre picking up the pace so that there are extra vehicles sooner than later?

1137 and 1138 have been out on track doing testing for the past couple of weeks. They were out after 9pm yesterday. They look "done" inside when I had a glance, but I imagine it takes a fair bit of testing to confirm everything is OK.

47 minutes ago, Flalex72 said:

1137 and 1138 have been out on track doing testing for the past couple of weeks. They were out after 9pm yesterday. They look "done" inside when I had a glance, but I imagine it takes a fair bit of testing to confirm everything is OK.

Ah okay, was my first time seeing the units under testing. I anticipate 6 months of rigorous testing, if not more.

4 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

Pretty neat that they're testing the doors and have those big screens up on the inside to prevent people from boarding.

The trains show up as "Out of Service" on the platform signs, but all the platform announcements play and the doors open and close just like normal. Even with the (giant) signs, there are still some confused people who can't figure out what is going on.

We now have a Train Tracker (still a work in progress) to follow daily train movements and deployments. 

You can see it here : https://www.otrainfans.ca/tracker/tracker-list

We encourage and thank you if you submit your train sightings and rides by visitiing : https://www.otrainfans.ca/tracker/tracker-submit

Some items we want to follow is the pairing of coupled trains. What are they currently, and how / if they change over time, in addition to the new Stage 2 trains being tested. 

Weird experience today on board 1131/1122 (I was on 1131 and deboarded at Bayview around 13:25) with the radio conversations being relayed, rather loudly, over the PA system. I don't think the operator was bumping the PA controls, and I didn't think it was even possible for cab radio communications to be broadcast over the PA.

There was an Alstom tech on board and I don't think she really knew what to do or say either.

• 2 weeks later...

What a mess: https://globalnews.ca/news/6552131/ottawa-lrt-train-shortage-pm-commute/

I was at Parliament station eastbound this afternoon when they were short-turning westbound trains at Lyon, there was some guy that was furious that neither the red vest employee on the platform (who probably wasn't told since the problem didn't affect that particular platform) nor the guard knew how to get from there to Tunney's Pasture. I can't imagine he was the only one venting frustration on platform staff. I feel bad for them.