O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

4 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

Umm, so you’re saying that because the train stops at every station, you are inconvenienced? Wow.

I'm comparing to the previous BRT, like seriously man, do you have honestly anything else worth barking about? It's gonna be a issue when your 256 PM trips from Tunney's Pasture to Moodie take 10 mins now and will be increased by 5-10 mins because now the LRT takes even more people west and serves 3 more stations than we currently have in the BRT

56 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

Spotted one at Blair Station yesterday

Same here, it was a 2012 DD

9 minutes ago, Michel said:

Sorry what exactly is an "R1" test?  I searched this topic and couldn't find the answer.

The R1 is the OC Transpo bus replacement for the LRT should it shut down temperately or have problems. I believe the R1 test is so that driver's can figure out what the fastest route is from Tunney's Pasture to Blair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

I'm comparing to the previous BRT, like seriously man, do you have honestly anything else worth barking about? It's gonna be a issue when your 256 PM trips from Tunney's Pasture to Moodie take 10 mins now and will be increased by 5-10 mins because now the LRT takes even more people west and serves 3 more stations than we currently have in the BRT

You seriously think every bus is going to stop at westboro and dominion.

Back in the old days, if no one requested the stop, the driver automatically skips it.

53 minutes ago, CanadaGoose said:

You seriously think every bus is going to stop at westboro and dominion.

Back in the old days, if no one requested the stop, the driver automatically skips it.

A lot of trips do, my point is OC is removing what would be a faster service for those who need it. A train will stop at all of them regardless if anyone needs to disembark or board.

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

A lot of trips do, my point is OC is removing what would be a faster service for those who need it. A train will stop at all of them regardless if anyone needs to disembark or board.

You think no one is getting on and off at those stop, you are sorry mistaken. Give it sometime for things fall into place, but in the end, there will be someone either getting on/off or both for those stations. Not everyone is going from end to end with a number only going a stop or 3 to what every. Saw a number of riders doing the 1-3 station trip on opening day

One thing that needs to happen now, not later is markings on the platform edge to tell riders to stand back of the doors to allow riders off first before getting on. This will speed loading a lot faster and cut down on the dwelling time for stops that were too long in the first place. It will also tell riders where the doors are in the first place.

https://youtu.be/6Dv_WtiPNzY

https://youtu.be/tMpSrKI5EFE

6 minutes ago, Centralsmt said:

You haven’t been on many light rail systems have you?

Alrighty, it seems everyone is missing the Crux of my argument. The context is I am comparing the previous BRT. let me say that again, BRT, Bus Rapid Transit, pre 2015. What I'm trying to say is that because they're replacing buses and the BRT, the express services that came with it will be gone too, with that when I say "Con: Stops at every station", I'm specifically referring to the fact that your old Express/Connexion that didn't stop between Blair - Hurdman, is now replaced by an inferior level of service that those customers were use to because now the LRT doesn't just replace your Express, it replaces all the routes.

That's all guys. I didn't have a problem when I stoped at all stations on the LRT about three times in a row yesterday to get my footage and what not.

17 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

For the time being, this is a bit of a concern, yes. It is minor, but it is there.

As the system gets longer and longer however, the amount of time difference between the bus and the LRT will become less and less. And there will be an additional benefit to the train - more people can get on, and won't have to let buses bypass them.

Dan

On 9/15/2019 at 11:34 AM, Enviro_1203 said:

Umm, so you’re saying that because the train stops at every station, you are inconvenienced? Wow.

Umm, so you're saying that NYC Transit, GO and other rail systems should get rid of their express trains because no one should be inconvenienced by a train stopping at every station? Wow.

1 hour ago, ngdvd said:

Umm, so you're saying that NYC Transit, GO and other rail systems should get rid of their express trains because no one should be inconvenienced by a train stopping at every station? Wow.

You know the difference between rail and light rail?

How could they run Express services on the LRT?

1 minute ago, Centralsmt said:

You know the difference between rail and light rail?

How could they run Express services on the LRT?

Light rail is a form of rail.

I guessing express service would require more than two tracks. Like the BRT stations have 4 lanes for buses to bypass them.

I'm not suggesting Ottawa LRT needs express service (because it probably doesn't yet). I just don't get what wrong with pointing out the LRT trains can't bypass stations like the buses could. To suggest that express service is a completely useless feature is just ridiculous. It is such a common feature of both rail and bus systems.

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

more people can get on, and won't have to let buses bypass them.

Except?

At the end of the line will there be enough buses to take everyone.

Example the 44 presently has 7-8 min peak service(grant you not all go to Billings some end at Heatherton & Walkly)will there still be a 44 Billings Bridge/Heron Gate every 8 mins or wil there be one every 15 mins that so many people won't be able to get on because the bus is packed?

Yes things will get better once Stage 2 is complete and operational things then will be less "Painful" as majority of transfers wikll in the sub urbs where traffic is less congested.

But?

You'll always have ares with traffic tie ups out side the downtown core

Riverside-South(Bank/Airport Parkway/Hunt Club), Heron/Baseline/Woodroff/Green Bank etc.

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

2 hours ago, ngdvd said:

The difference being that Ottawa doesn't have any operational need for express trains.

NYC and GO only have express trains out of necessity, not just for convenience.

Okay I've had about a couple of rides back and forth so far and I really enjoy it. However I brought my bike on some of the trips just to see how it's like. It's Probably best to park it at a station...

the problem I notice as being a cyclist is that when I bring my bike on board there's only two spots on the entire train you can park it. Problem is those same spots are right beside elevators which by default most people with mobility issues will pick first. Even if there are no people in that spot with mobility issues and they're just sitting there, they are not obligated to surrender their seat to you to park your bike, so basically you're forced to obscurely park your bike right beside the exit door about 70% of the time and hope no one has to board when you arrive at stations that use the opposite side of the door than you originally got on.

20190915_171833.thumb.jpg.5e3c05144e25e036c377a36c5c94baf9.jpg

Side note, if you do manage to get a spot to park your bike, this is how I would park it.

20190915_174405.thumb.jpg.64cd70803d00ec0f857aaa0f7a724944.jpg

The stairs and escalators do have little rails that you can glide your bike on, however with my tires they're too large/heavy to maintain on the rail, so I always have one tire off the rail. So basically if you have a mountain bike or have those giant ass tires you would use in the winter, good luck... much better to take the elevator or escalator and just use the actual steps instead of the rail.

Of course you could actually just ride your bike between stations, no need to carry bikes on such a short route, alternately there should be a charge to carry cycles, especially as they can take up the room of 2 fare paying passengers.

Many LRT/Metro Systems throughout the world don't permit the carriage of bikes on trains during morning and evening rush hours, I expect that may happen in Ottawa in due course.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Centralsmt said:

Of course you could actually just ride your bike between stations, no need to carry bikes on such a short route, alternately there should be a charge to carry cycles, especially as they can take up the room of 2 fare paying passengers.

Many LRT/Metro Systems throughout the world don't permit the carriage of bikes on trains during morning and evening rush hours, I expect that may happen in Ottawa in due course.

If you consider a ride from Tunney's to Cyrville "short", I'd suggest getting off those magic mushrooms sir. So by that logic, should obese people have to pay double since they take up more than 1 seat?

I don't think that's really relevant, Ottawa is pretty damn accommodating to cyclist unlike other municipalities, for them not to be with the O-train would be wildly inconsistent. Especially since it is replacing a system where each bus has a bike rack per bus with two accessible seats as well (except old Inveros and Hybrids)

29 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

If you consider a ride from Tunney's to Cyrville "short", I'd suggest getting off those magic mushrooms sir. So by that logic, should obese people have to pay double since they take up more than 1 seat?

I don't think that's really relevant, Ottawa is pretty damn accommodating to cyclist unlike other municipalities, for them not to be with the O-train would be wildly inconsistent. Especially since it is replacing a system where each bus has a bike rack per bus with two accessible seats as well (except old Inveros and Hybrids)

I didn’t say they shouldn’t be on it, I did say they should pay for the privilege of taking their bike on the LRT, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Your comparison to an “obese” person paying double fare is quite frankly ludicrous and offensive.

Just now, Centralsmt said:

I didn’t say they shouldn’t be on it, I did say they should pay for the privilege of taking their bike on the LRT, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Your comparison to an “obese” person paying double fare is quite frankly ludicrous and offensive.

So there are only 2 specific seat sections of out 16 on the whole train that I can take, yet you think I should pay for a seat I won't get 70% of the time? That's unreasonable.

In regard to the obese comparison, quite frankly I don't care about your offence to it. North America has a huge obesity problem in comparison to the rest of the world. The majority those that are obese is because it's personal choice of choosing to eat excessive amounts of food. Airlines charges you for 2 seats if you take 2, why not be consistent in your thinking?

1 hour ago, Centralsmt said:

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

Okay I've had about a couple of rides back and forth so far and I really enjoy it. However I brought my bike on some of the trips just to see how it's like. It's Probably best to park it at a station...

the problem I notice as being a cyclist is that when I bring my bike on board there's only two spots on the entire train you can park it. Problem is those same spots are right beside elevators which by default most people with mobility issues will pick first. Even if there are no people in that spot with mobility issues and they're just sitting there, they are not obligated to surrender their seat to you to park your bike, so basically you're forced to obscurely park your bike right beside the exit door about 70% of the time and hope no one has to board when you arrive at stations that use the opposite side of the door than you originally got on.

(Snip)

Side note, if you do manage to get a spot to park your bike, this is how I would park it.

(Snip)

The stairs and escalators do have little rails that you can glide your bike on, however with my tires they're too large/heavy to maintain on the rail, so I always have one tire off the rail. So basically if you have a mountain bike or have those giant ass tires you would use in the winter, good luck... much better to take the elevator or escalator and just use the actual steps instead of the rail.

I have to agree with not allowing bikes during rush hour in Ottawa as the trains are small and the current space where they are permitted it would not be a good idea.

As for your placement of your bike 

I would suggest not obstructing the doors with it , as in case of a emergency it would be very difficult to exit with the bike in the way!

My 2 cents.