O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

On 2/15/2019 at 10:24 AM, corynv said:

Aren't the Freedom what's being used as TTC's Streetcars as well?

TTC is the Flexity Outlook

On 2/15/2019 at 9:06 AM, CanadaGoose said:

We have some of our trains here and ready. There is still an outstanding amount.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:57 PM, smallspy said:

That's the same as Kitchener, then.

The difference between the two situations then is that Ottawa's is caused by a third-party - RTG - whereas in Kitchener it is due to the Region not ordering the required parts early enough to meet their own timeframe.

Length is very close, but the width is different by a couple of inches. As well, the cars for the legacy system are designed to handle much tighter curves, whereas the Flexity Freedoms (and Citadis Spirits) are designed for a more-common LRT standard of about 25 meter radius.

There's other differences such as things like voltage (600V versus 750V) and the fact that the Freedoms are MU-capable, but now we're quite literally getting into the bolts.

Dan

All of the ION trains are here now, but our delays are a complex situation between the Region, Metrolinx, Toronto, and Bombardier, and this basically sums it up: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=14&pid=59892#pid59892 

1 hour ago, sseguin said:

News release today from the meeting by council and committee on the Stage2LRT consultations.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/blogs/council-reviews-recommended-preferred-proponents-for-stage-2-of-the-o-train

Apparently it went for almost 9 hours, from what I read on twitter.

It started at 1pm. 9 hours was the start of the council meeting in the morning.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:56 AM, OCTranspoMaster said:

Pimsi station has the new bus stops installed (but not in service).

The permanent bus shelters at Eb Parliament/Parlement* (*Not yet in use) and Lyon Stn (Southbound stop)  have been installed. 

By the looks of things they are not heated or well protected from the wind/cold.

3 hours ago, CanadaGoose said:

Yes, businesses complain about it.

No one feels comfortable visiting Rideau st with people making remarks, catcalling or the guy who jams music all day with his speakers.

yeah lets all ship the homeless off the streets of Downtown out of the way, that'll solve the problem........maybe we can round them all up and put them in a field somewhere where noone can see them ?

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Centralsmt said:

yeah lets all ship the homeless off the streets of Downtown out of the way, that'll solve the problem........maybe we can round them all up and put them in a field somewhere where noone can see them ?

We all know that homelessness is an issue in this city, but please, be realistic here. I know that many of them are good people, but that doesn’t mean I want someone sleeping in the bus shelter next to me waiting for the next 95. It is uncomfortable for me and for many others and can also be an issue of safety, so I don’t get what your point is.

5 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

And that’s a bad thing?

Where did I say its a bad thing? I was only commenting on what would happen? I could care less if the homeless slept in the shelters or even in the LRT  stations over night or day.

Yes I know homelessness is an issue, but lets face the facts some of these individuals have drug & alcohol issues. Spend a day in the Main Public library, where the come in sleep all day, drink beer in the washrooms, shoot up in the washrooms and cause fights. When you go to the Library to read a book or use the computer you don't want to smell  coming off them next to. Some of them smell so bad it almost wants you to puke. How do I know this? I see it every day at work, that's why.

I'm not saying kick them out, but they do have options to wash themselves at shelters and clothing, so they don't bring bed bugs & cockrockets  into the library. 

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Where did I say its a bad thing? I was only commenting on what would happen? I could care less if the homeless slept in the shelters or even in the LRT  stations over night or day.

Yes I know homelessness is an issue, but lets face the facts some of these individuals have drug & alcohol issues. Spend a day in the Main Public library, where the come in sleep all day, drink beer in the washrooms, shoot up in the washrooms and cause fights. When you go to the Library to read a book or use the computer you don't want to smell  coming off them next to. Some of them smell so bad it almost wants you to puke. How do I know this? I see it every day at work, that's why.

I'm not saying kick them out, but they do have options to wash themselves at shelters and clothing, so they don't bring bed bugs & cockrockets  into the library. 

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that it largely boils down to mental health. Those drug and alcohol issues are an attempt to self medicate when they haven’t found, or never had access to (for whatever reason) healthier alternatives. 99% of the time substance abuse is only a (very large, obvious) symptom of a deeper illness. To label the as addicts and junkies, avoid eye contact and cross the street on sight is condemning society to perpetuate the cycle.

Shelters are often crowded, violent places with rampant theft, full of vermin, so it’s little wonder that many would rather seek shelter elsewhere.

• Thanks 6

On 3/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, CanadaGoose said:

Yes, businesses complain about it.

No one feels comfortable visiting Rideau st with people making remarks, catcalling or the guy who jams music all day with his speakers.

Better than dead through. 

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/death-of-man-found-near-commonwealth-stadium-cold-weather-related-police

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/central-lrt-station-to-open-as-warming-station-tuesday-night

I think you're probably mixing up different groups of people. Chances are the person "jamming to music all day" is not going to be the person that needs to sleep in a warm transit facility when it's below -30 outside...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh boy

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/lrt-trains-unreliable-says-report-1.5038832

Ottawa's $2.1-billion light rail system, supposed to be finished by the end of this month, will not only miss its third completion deadline but is experiencing issues far more serious than city officials have led the public to believe, according to internal reports obtained by CBC.

1 hour ago, dev161 said:

nothing official yet !! Just the media speculating ... but yes the odds are very high they will miss the deadline again ... 

It's not just speculation.

There are very, very serious issues with how Alstom has approached their end of the contract. I had a change to speak to someone who had worked as a consultant on many similar public transit projects, and he was aghast that inside of a month before the contractor is (supposedly) going to hand over the keys that they still don't have a full fleet of equipment functional. "Unheard of" was a term he used repeatedly.

While he didn't work on the Confederation Line project (he was employed by one of the companies in one of the losing consortia), he's hoping to ask some of his old contacts and see if he can find some more info on just how everything's gone wrong in Ottawa.

Dan

51 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I guess Toronto should be happy that the Bombardier Street cars work in cold weather. Did they not do cold weather testing on the prototype before going into production?

They did. They trucked one of them to the NRC facilities in the south end. There's a picture of one covered in ice in the test chamber on twitter somewhere.