O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

I received word that that the roadheader did NOT move to the east portal as originally planned for this morning due to some sort of mechanical issue. I don't have any more info on this, and when the move will be rescheduled.

The roadheader, nicknamed "Jawbreaker", made the move this morning. At 10am, it was on the Transitway between Laurier Avenue and Campus Station.

I didn't get there in time, so I was unable to video tape/take pictures of this. But from point of view (as I was making the right-turn from Laurier eastbound to Nicholas southbound), it was being transported in two separate trucks (the blade in one trailer, and the cab in the other).

For those who didn't attend.

NR_29Jan15_train showcase_en.doc

For those who speak french

NR_29Jan15_train showcase_fr.doc

Just did some math on the length of the Citadis Spirits vs. a 4 car SD160 consist here in Edmonton used Monday through Friday daytime here in Edmonton. The Spirits are going to be 59m in length, 1 SD160 is 24.802m. That means the Confederation line is going to be running trains that are the length of less than 2 and a half SD160s run here...if they are on 5 minute service through downtown during rush hour...my calculations show that there is going to be a lot of overcrowding, as people will need to take the line to Tunneys from downtown to head west and Hurdman or Blair to go south or east....and all of these people pack the buses already...should be interesting.

Just did some math on the length of the Citadis Spirits vs. a 4 car SD160 consist here in Edmonton used Monday through Friday daytime here in Edmonton. The Spirits are going to be 59m in length, 1 SD160 is 24.802m. That means the Confederation line is going to be running trains that are the length of less than 2 and a half SD160s run here...if they are on 5 minute service through downtown during rush hour...my calculations show that there is going to be a lot of overcrowding, as people will need to take the line to Tunneys from downtown to head west and Hurdman or Blair to go south or east....and all of these people pack the buses already...should be interesting.

do you add in the fact that the trains are going to be articulated together, so if during rush hour on 5 minute service the platforms gets packed, the trains can handle more people on one train compared to the articulated buses even if some are standing. now would the trains run on 5 minute service during rush hour? I don't see it personally since Ottawa transit is digested during the rush hour without trains, so I see OC have the trains run every 2-4 minutes if the trains are able to run every 2-4 minutes (I haven't read anything about whether its possible)

do you add in the fact that the trains are going to be articulated together, so if during rush hour on 5 minute service the platforms gets packed, the trains can handle more people on one train compared to the articulated buses even if some are standing. now would the trains run on 5 minute service during rush hour? I don't see it personally since Ottawa transit is digested during the rush hour without trains, so I see OC have the trains run every 2-4 minutes if the trains are able to run every 2-4 minutes (I haven't read anything about whether its possible)

During rush hours, the trains are expected to run every 4 minutes on the Confederation Line.

As for the Trillium Line, I did hear that it will run every 9 minutes, but I'm not sure if that was during rush hours or during midday.

During rush hours, the trains are expected to run every 4 minutes on the Confederation Line.

As for the Trillium Line, I did hear that it will run every 9 minutes, but I'm not sure if that was during rush hours or during midday.

Frequency of 8 to 9 minutes during most time periods. I believe early and late Sunday mornings where the frequency presently operates at 30 minuite service will be increase to 15 minuite service.

That's incorrect. On opening day, the Citadis Spirit cars will measure 48 m long and during most time periods two cars will run coupled together to form trains with a total length of 98 m.

With trains planned to run every 3 minutes 15 seconds during the peak periods, the opening day capacity will certainly be enough to accommodate the projected ridership of 10,700 pphpd.

In the future, the cars may be expanded to a length of 59 m by adding an additional module.

Sources:

http://www.confederationline.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/354930628201309010557.pdf

http://www.conventglenorleanswood.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Project-Presentation_CGOWCA_Sept-24-2014.pdf

http://youtu.be/QaNNmq9xZt4

And remember the LRT is meant to replace buses on the Transitway from Blair to Tunney's and if you got the 95 running every 3-4 mins artics plus express buses going to Orleans your going to need a large capacity to hold all those people.

But there's one thing people are for getting.?

Presently if coming out of Orleans and taking the 95 or an express directly downtown, kiss that GOOD-BYE come 2018 you'll be transferring at Blair. The worst will be those working in Gatneau. You'll be transferring twice, Once at Lebreton or what ever the new name is and then again at Blair.

Anyone who thinks they'll still only get one bus to come to their present way have another thing coming and are in for a big surprise.

Also those coming out of Orleans and presently are working at DND on McKanzie Bridge, good luck, you'll be walking way more.

IE

Present

You get of at Rideau Centre cross the street and your at work.

You get off the LRT at Rideau Station, have to walk from Rideau Street/Market across the Rideau Centre, across McKenzie Bridge and your at work. There no LRT station at the presaent Lauier Station, you either wil need to get of at Uottawa Station or Rideau Staton both a vary way to your present work place.

Capacity on the Confederation Line is not a concern, ridership can increase dramatically and the line will still be able to handle it.

They can easily reach a capacity of 18,000pphpd by increasing frequency to 2 minutes.

To grow beyond that, they can lengthen the platforms at the surface stations to 120m (this is protected for in the designs), to allow the addition of an extra module bringing each car up to 59m. By doing so, capacity is increased to 22,200pphpd.

To grow even further, ATC can be installed to allow for frequency to drop to 90 seconds. That could allow capacity to reach 29,600pphpd. Furthermore, continued improvements in automation techology and computational physics mean that 60s frequency will probably be possible within 20-30 years, that would increase capacity to a mindblowing 44,400pphpd.

And remember the LRT is meant to replace buses on the Transitway from Blair to Tunney's and if you got the 95 running every 3-4 mins artics plus express buses going to Orleans your going to need a large capacity to hold all those people.

But there's one thing people are for getting.?

Presently if coming out of Orleans and taking the 95 or an express directly downtown, kiss that GOOD-BYE come 2018 you'll be transferring at Blair. The worst will be those working in Gatneau. You'll be transferring twice, Once at Lebreton or what ever the new name is and then again at Blair.

Anyone who thinks they'll still only get one bus to come to their present way have another thing coming and are in for a big surprise.

Also those coming out of Orleans and presently are working at DND on McKanzie Bridge, good luck, you'll be walking way more.

IE

Present

You get of at Rideau Centre cross the street and your at work.

You get off the LRT at Rideau Station, have to walk from Rideau Street/Market across the Rideau Centre, across McKenzie Bridge and your at work. There no LRT station at the presaent Lauier Station, you either wil need to get of at Uottawa Station or Rideau Staton both a vary way to your present work place.

Yes, but that's offset by the fact that the transit trip there will be considerably faster. It's not just the Albert-Slater crawl that will be fixed by the switch to LRT. Transit time even on the parts of the route that currently full Transitway will improve because of massively decreased dwell times. LRT will be able to decelerate to a station, pick up and drop off passengers and accelerate back to full speed all in the course of about 30-40 seconds. Whereas, presently, at stations like Hurdman, Campus, and Tunney's, it's common for buses to take as much a 1-2 minutes to do this because of the large amount of time spent waiting to get into the bay due to other buses ahead blocking them, the slow boarding times that is inherent to buses at high loads, having to yield to other buses, stop at signs/lights (the stop signs at Hurdman, the crosswalk on the Mac bridge, etc). Plus the tendency of buses to stop twice (once at the back of the queue, again at the front of the queue, because of people who didn't see the bus when it was at the back), and pick up "stragglers" (the all-too common tendency for a bus to be about to pull away, then someone frantically runs up and the driver stops again to let them on). During rush hour if NORMALLY (not exceptionally, normally!) takes close to 3-4 minutes just to cross the Mackenzie Bridge because of the sum of all these factors, and up to 2-3 minutes to get through Hurdman.

To grow even further, ATC can be installed to allow for frequency to drop to 90 seconds. That could allow capacity to reach 29,600pphpd. Furthermore, continued improvements in automation techology and computational physics mean that 60s frequency will probably be possible within 20-30 years, that would increase capacity to a mindblowing 44,400pphpd.

Improvements in technology going forward have no bearing on the physics of a steel wheel rolling on a steel rail, or the people riding above them. The way the track layout looks like it is going to be laid out, it will be very difficult to impossible to get headways below about 100 seconds.

To improve on this down towards 60 second headways will require a complete rethinking and rebuilding of the terminals. This kind of thing can be done using the technology of today, but the physical plant required is hugely expensive.

Dan

How apart are the TTC Subway cars from each other when entering a station? I know Subway cars & LRT are somewhat different but the concept is somewhat the same.

The distance between cars is not the issue. The problems are with the physical layout of the track (and how fast or slow trains can safely pass over them), along with factors such as what is the minimum dwell time, how long it takes to change directions, the minimum safe times between trains, minimum block length, etc.

For instance, because of the signal system in place and the way the crossovers are built in Toronto, the minimum headway possible right now is about 140 seconds. With ATO/ATC, that's going to drop down to about 105 seconds, but will never be able to drop down any further than that because of the maximum safe speeds of the crossovers.

Dan

WOW!! I didn't figure it was that short of time lapse? 2 min 20 sec, seems pretty close to me?I know they'll always be a min time because of safety issues, even with all the safety equipment, there always a chance it may fail.

A throughout of 32 trains per hour is the goal for some upgrades on the London Underground. That's 112 seconds actually in practice, an actual not a theoretical limit.

A throughout of 32 trains per hour is the goal for some upgrades on the London Underground. That's 112 seconds actually in practice, an actual not a theoretical limit.

32 trains per hour will be the actual throughput of the trains on the main section of the line, with the theoretical limit being somewhat higher. And there are places elsewhere that achieve even closer headways - I don't know what it's scheduled for, but Paris' Ligne 1 regularly sees headways of 65 seconds.

But these headways are only capable because they use other methods of turning back trains. Paris has loops at the ends of the busiest lines, and London uses multiple overlapping branches.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Today at the garage I was talking to some mechanics , and apparently OC is considering leasing some of the old NFI D60LFs that were retired from Summer/Fall 2015 till end of LRT construction. This isn't the first time I have heard it , a section head told me the same info recently as well.

• 2 weeks later...

City & NCC Reach "Tentative" Deal"

The City & NCC have reached a "tentative" deal for the western portion of the LRT running along the Parkway

Sun News

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/03/06/live-fate-of-ottawas-western-lrt-expansion-in-nccs-hands

Ottawa Citizen

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/live-ncc-city-reveal-progress-on-ottawas-lrt-route

Some details and drawings available here: http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/transit/100-day-working-group