O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

2 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

I figured as much.

Now they are saying Keys "should" be handed over before July 1st. (This i highly doubt)

WOW! This has got to be the worse LRT project ever in North America. Now the city is getting another $1 million fine "IT'S RIDICULOUS". It may never open at all and I guess they'll just have to remove the tracks and stations and put the Transitway back the way it was LOL! ?

10 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

This has got to be the worse LRT project ever in North America

This is still on-par with ION in K-W and the Eglinton Crosstown in Toronto.

12 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

Now the city is getting another $1 billion fine "IT'S RIDICULOUS".

RTG is being penalized $1 million.

• Thanks 1

Man, everyone is looking to shit on the city for this project.

It's one year late, and yet, we see it almost completed. We have:

• half the trains signed off and ready to go
  • stations mostly complete

It's not that far off, from being operational. Yes, the train got stuck in a snow storm (just like how are buses jackknife). 

We are now in a state where we can actually see it looking done.

• Thanks 2

I find the hate against the project is getting old. Once completed it will be at the very minimum (I say that because there seems to be a fairly pessimistic outlook on it right now) as good as the old Transitway was before it was closed. Very likely (read almost definitely) it will be much better, higher capacity and smoother ride, separated from surface road traffic and circulation.

It is disappointing it is taking a while but at the same time, once it is done, things will be much better for all. Detours downtown will end, and unreliable bus transit through downtown will be over after many many years of it.

You don't have to like it, you don't have to love it. But just know...

BETTER DAYS AHEAD!

I will say it again, after having gone to all the stations, and actually seen with my own eyes what is being built, it will be impressive and a big big upgrade from what we had before. Check out my snapshot updates on otrainfans.ca in the Blog and then look at the transitway stations. Look at the trains and look at the sweaty crowded nauseating buses.

Some accountability and some pressure to get it done and done right is warranted but the whole thing is worth it. We are building for the future, not just the next year or the now. Things take time.

2 hours ago, sseguin said:

I have shared the Confederation Line update from today's FEDCO meeting, which includes the news release, meeting audio, and the presentation (hoping to have it available shortly) shown at the meeting on O-Train Fans.

You can find it here : https://www.otrainfans.ca/blogs/confederation-line-update-fedco-march-5-2019

Presentation is now available on O-Train Fans at the link above.

• Like 1

Good news! Phase 2 is going forward!

Even better news, I saw a coupled train running at Tunney’s Pasture, and various other single car trains.

i couldn’t get the numbers, Canada goose has some work to do (such as pooping on the grass)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Another heavy testing day on Line 1 ! 

I hope there won't be a signalling glitch around. From what I've heard, the same technology was responsible for crashes in Singapore and Hong Kong, the latter dating only a few days back.

9 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I hope there won't be a signalling glitch around. From what I've heard, the same technology was responsible for crashes in Singapore and Hong Kong, the latter dating only a few days back.

Those are brownfield installations, where the system is installed overtop of existing systems.

This is a greenfield installation, where nothing existed prior to the signal system being installed.

Brownfield installations are far, far, far harder to perform, are far more expensive and take far more time as those installing the systems need to ensure that there is no feedback between the old systems and the new systems (or any other installed systems, for that matter), and that the old system must be maintained and operable throughout the installation and testing process.

A far better comparison would between the Confederation Line and Vancouver's Skytrain. Both use the same signalling system, and both were built as greenfield installations. How many accidents causing damage have occurred in Vancouver? (Hint: the answer is somewhere between almost none, and none.)

Dan

New promotional video for the Confederation Line, featuring a familiar-looking operator driving 8157, 1126's first set of doors malfunctioning, the graffiti underneath one of the Aviation Parkway flyovers, and incorrect usage of tactile strips! Upbeat, and actually makes one forget for a second the train's been delayed for almost a year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

New promotional video for the Confederation Line, featuring a familiar-looking operator driving 8157, 1126's first set of doors malfunctioning, the graffiti underneath one of the Aviation Parkway flyovers, and incorrect usage of tactile strips! Upbeat, and actually makes one forget for a second the train's been delayed for almost a year.

Will the trains actually be that slow ? fgs buses roared 90 km/h  however all the testing I've seen over the last two years it looks a the trains only go/do about 50 or 40...

13 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Will the trains actually be that slow ? fgs buses roared 90 km/h  however all the testing I've seen over the last two years it looks a the trains only go/do about 50 or 40...

Take this with a grain of salt, as I don’t have a text source to cite, but I heard somewhere that the max operational speed was recently increased from 80 Kph to 90 Kph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1