O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

10 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

On top, here is an article from the Ottawa Citizen quoting the cost to build the extension is $1.85 billion dollars.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/kanata-lrt-extension-would-cost-1-85b-to-build-someday?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&link_time=1524690521#link_time=1524690474

That is if they go all the way to Stittsville with a connection to Canadian Tire Centre. Though it would be a tough sell especially with the plans of moving the arena downtown which would make it more difficult to justify the extension beyond Terry Fox Station (the major hub for local routes in Kanata).

I do think they could make it happen, but considering the second stage is already at $3.6 billion dollars (Airport, Moodie, Trim and Baseline extensions quoted in 2017 dollars), would be hard to finance a little more extra. Especially with the provincial and federal governments running large deficits in their budgets. 

I would say that considering how far out the Kanata extension is (at the moment), the sens would in theory already  be well moved to Lebreton flats, and that once the CTC will have no use, because it would probably not host many events, the land and surrounding area might be open to redevelopment, which would make a lot of sense to have a LRT station, considering it would pass right through.

-Charlie

If anybody is interested, Councillor Keith Egli has posted the PowerPoint (in PDF format) of the monthly Confederation Line Updates on his web site. URL: http://keithegli.ca/ottawas-light-rail-transit-updates/

As well, there will be a media event on Friday where the media will get to see the final tracks being laid for the project: https://ottawa.ca/en/news/lrt-partners-secure-final-piece-track-confederation-line . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JCL said:

If anybody is interested, Councillor Keith Egli has posted the PowerPoint (in PDF format) of the monthly Confederation Line Updates on his web site. URL: http://keithegli.ca/ottawas-light-rail-transit-updates/

As well, there will be a media event on Friday where the media will get to see the final tracks being laid for the project: https://ottawa.ca/en/news/lrt-partners-secure-final-piece-track-confederation-line . 

Thanks JCL. It is nice to know the monthly updates are available especially when it is off-track and working to make sure the project is done in a timely manner along with the comprehensive testing involved. Especially with the computerized equipment and multiple trains carrying thousands of passengers.

For those who are looking to get a side by side shot of the Lrv's  1117 & 1123 are currently parked at Tremblay Stn. 

Do note,  there is a security guard on duty so it is recommended to stay on the outside of the gate.  

#olrt #alstom #readyforrail #ottcity

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

For those who are looking to get a side by side shot of the Lrv's  1117 & 1123 are currently parked at Tremblay Stn. 

Do note,  there is a security guard on duty so it is recommended to stay on the outside of the gate.  

[Photo removed] 

Security guard or not, I think one should stay on the outside of the gate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Security guard or not, I think one should stay on the outside of the gate.

Train fans will have probably heard of several incidents where someone cut through the fence of a MRT train depot in Singapore and vandalised a train by spray-painting on it. In one case, the train later entered service without being spotted beforehand, and the operator was fined for it. https://keepingyoupostedat.wordpress.com/2010/06/06/graffiti-in-singapore/ As for the suspects... well, they eventually got caught and sentenced to jail time and, sad to say, a few strokes of the cane.

The delay is adding another $14 million dollars of additional costs. This is on top of confirming that a total of 421 to 480 positions will be eliminated. 

Previously, it was assumed that it was 608 positions.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/oc-transpo-confident-it-can-offset-14m-in-extra-costs-for-lrt-delay?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525903562

Final comments:

I do think there is a clause in the contract that if they are needed for Stage 2 detours, then they would be hired back. I think the figure of position reductions will be lower once they determine the full scope of Stage 2 and retain operators for those detours.

Most notably, when Trillium Line is closed for 16 months for expansion, they do need operators to cover the shuttle. Especially from other comments, it is still to be confirmed what fleet reductions will be involved too.

Instead trying to figure out how many lay offs or bus reduction, why doesn't OC/City wait till stage two is completed and up and running for a while to see what's needed and what's not needed? How hard is that? Its not rocket science?

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Instead trying to figure out how many lay offs or bus reduction, why doesn't OC/City wait till stage two is completed and up and running for a while to see what's needed and what's not needed? How hard is that? Its not rocket science?

Because Stage 2 hasn't been fully funded and approved yet. It may be several years before they get the go-ahead to proceed.

Dan

5 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Because Stage 2 hasn't been fully funded and approved yet. It may be several years before they get the go-ahead to proceed.

Dan

Is it not already fully funded and approved? The only exception is the additional money for the extension to Limebank on the Trillium Line.

Construction is set to start next year with the closure of the Trillium Line.

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

It is fully funded and approved, minus the new Limebank extension (sort of).

-Charlie

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

It is fully funded and approved, minus the new Limebank extension (sort of).

-Charlie

Is it? My understanding was that the Governments have promised the money, but have not actually signed any agreements and allocated it to the various agencies that will be receiving it to dispense for the project.

Dan

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

Is it? My understanding was that the Governments have promised the money, but have not actually signed any agreements and allocated it to the various agencies that will be receiving it to dispense for the project.

Dan

Article from June 2, 2017

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-releases-finalist-bidders-for-next-stage-of-light-rail

Quote:

“Other than that, Kanellakos’s memo said the next phase of rail is moving ahead ticketyboo, with funding deals progressing and approvals from the upper governments coming in on schedule.”

Also, the consortium to build the Stage 2 of the confederation line will be decided in Q3 or Q4 of 2018, for construction to start asap in 2019.

Another article for Feb. 2017

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-lrt-plan-light-rail-stage-2-blueprint-passes-first-test-with-thoughts-turning-to-stage-3

Quote:

”The city-funded part of the Stage 2 rail expansion will cost $3 billion, split equally between the city, province and feds, and be fully operational by 2023. The city expects the bonus extensions to Trim Road ($160 million) and the Ottawa International Airport ($155 million) will be covered by the provincial and federal governments.”

It is so extremely unlikely that stage 2 would not go ahead, given that the money has been committed to by the Convervatives as well

Projected Stage 2 timeline:

• Begin environmental assessment for Moodie Drive extension: March 2017
  • Release Confederation Line request for qualifications: March 2017
  • Release Trillium Line request for qualifications: March/April 2017
  • Secure funding commitments: May 2017
  • Release Confederation Line request for proposals: June 2017
  • Release Trillium Line request for proposals: Q2/Q3 2017
  • Finalize contribution agreements: Q1 2018
  • Contract award: Q2 2018
  • Construction commences: Q3 2018
  • Revenue service Trillium Line: 2021
  • Revenue service Confederation Line East: 2022
  • Revenue service Confederation Line West: 2023”

*Note that the 2018 schedule has shifted a Q or 2 as the delay of the opening of the confederation line, and to give more time for the consortiums to finalize their RFPs.

-Charlie 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went by Tunneys Pasture this morning and I noticed that theres a new fare gate entrence going in on the west end of the bus loop by the DND building.

It's laid out like the entrences on Line 2

( 2 standerd and one accessible with a spot for a TVM.) 

The only difference is the entrence is inside a oversized bus shelter instead of a open concept building.  

13 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Went by Tunneys Pasture this morning and I noticed that theres a new fare gate entrence going in on the west end of the bus loop by the DND building.

It's laid out like the entrences on Line 2

( 2 standerd and one accessible with a spot for a TVM.) 

The only difference is the entrence is inside a oversized bus shelter instead of a open concept building.  

Yes, that shelter has been there for a long time. I noticed today they put those yellow planks. I thought it was for bikes initially.

45 minutes ago, JCL said:

Mayor Jim Watson and Councillor Jan Harder will be making a request for funding of $600,000 for an EA to extend LRT into Barrhaven: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/mayor-watson-wants-council-to-spend-money-on-studying-barrhaven-lrt

It is the only suburb that doesn't have rail transit planned (other than Kanata which is in Stage 3, Orleans and Riverside South covered in Stage 2).

Better to get the ball rolling when funding does become available. Especially with the major challenge of how to build the tracks between Baseline and Fallowfield especially with the many different intersections and traffic lights along this corridor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

It is the only suburb that doesn't have rail transit planned (other than Kanata which is in Stage 3, Orleans and Riverside South covered in Stage 2).

Better to get the ball rolling when funding does become available. Especially with the major challenge of how to build the tracks between Baseline and Fallowfield especially with the many different intersections and traffic lights along this corridor. 

I have a strong feeling that the Baseline to Fallowfield section will be elevated like Hurdman Station. The number of intersections there would plague the reliability of the rail service.

1 hour ago, anyfong said:

I have a strong feeling that the Baseline to Fallowfield section will be elevated like Hurdman Station. The number of intersections there would plague the reliability of the rail service.

I feel like area residents would find a bridge of that length unsightly.

I'm going for a trench with a short tunnel from Knoxdale to West Hunt Club. The only development that would present a problem would be between Knoxdale and West Hunt Club. Otherwise, a large strip of unused land exists west of Woodroffe Avenue from where the Transitway curves to Knoxdale/Medhurst. Underpasses would exist at Tallwood and the existing underpass at the railway tracks will require widening. The rail would then enter a tunnel at Knoxdale (tunnel portal just north of Knoxdale?), then exit the tunnel south of the roadway south of West Hunt Club to rejoin the Transitway alignment.

Stations added at Tallwood, Knoxdale, and (maybe) West Hunt Club would be in a trench similar to Tunney's Pasture Station to avoid the costs of fully underground stations.

17 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm putting my money on a tunnel from Baseline all the way to Fallowfield. As Baseline LRT Station is already built under that Technology build from Algonquin. 

In my opinion, absolutely no way that would ever be done. So much much more expensive and unnecessary through the green belt. I would think they would build it in the median down the median, because who know maybe the won’t bother with it being completely grade separated. Then, of course for the transitway section along fallowfield they will just follow that at grade . Bridge sections the whole way is expensive and unsightly, and tunnel is just unrealistic and unnecessary, as well as would take a long time to build. If they were to completely grade separate the project, maybe a tench in between Woodrofe and the other residential areas, but between knoxdale and Hunt Club, definently a bridge or a separated median.

-Charlie

4 hours ago, anyfong said:

2 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

I feel like area residents would find a bridge of that length unsightly.

I'm going for a trench with a short tunnel from Knoxdale to West Hunt Club. The only development that would present a problem would be between Knoxdale and West Hunt Club. Otherwise, a large strip of unused land exists west of Woodroffe Avenue from where the Transitway curves to Knoxdale/Medhurst. Underpasses would exist at Tallwood and the existing underpass at the railway tracks will require widening. The rail would then enter a tunnel at Knoxdale (tunnel portal just north of Knoxdale?), then exit the tunnel south of the roadway south of West Hunt Club to rejoin the Transitway alignment.

Stations added at Tallwood, Knoxdale, and (maybe) West Hunt Club would be in a trench similar to Tunney's Pasture Station to avoid the costs of fully underground stations.

There was a previous Environmental Assessment of extending the Southwest Transitway from Baseline to Barrhaven in the late-1990s. The recommended plan was to construct a tunnel between Knoxdale and Hunt Club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1