O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

8 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The reason why they use the 4 digit fleet number is more of consistency especially when buses have used the four digit fleet number for a very long time. It used to be the two digits of the year and the last two digits the unit number. For example: 7001 was a bus in the 1970s.

Before they changed to bus type and unit number which is the current model they have today. For the conventional route system:

11xx: Confederation Line train car

4xxx: 40 ft regular bus

5xxx: Hybrid bus

6xxx: Articulated bus (60 ft)

8xxx: Double decker 

But the Trillium Line trains are numbered C1-C9. I'm surprised they didn't just follow that scheme, or something similar.

6 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

But the Trillium Line trains are numbered C1-C9. I'm surprised they didn't just follow that scheme, or something similar.

The Trilium Line trains are technically CRC4-CRC9, CR being Capital Rail, a must since they are technically using a regular rail line.

3 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

The Trilium Line trains are technically CRC4-CRC9, CR being Capital Rail, a must since they are technically using a regular rail line.

The fact that they are "technically using a regular rail line" has no bearing on the number that the cars wear. The only thing that Transport Canada mandates is that each car have an individual number, that said number is clearly visible from the front and sides of the car, and that the car wears either the name or reporting mark of its owner.

Beyond that, they can be just about anything. If OC wanted to number the cars Z99994 to Z99999, that would be fine with TC so long as it met the requirements above.

Dan

On 2018-03-26 at 12:36 PM, Oc4526 said:

Found this image on a Closed FB group i belong to.  Looks like the the Lrv's will be numbered in the 11xx range 

Here is the same LRV:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/status/979419235976929282

Honestly, in my opinion the bell on the LRVs is worse then the bell on the OTrain, but I understand why.:lol:

Happy Easter,

Charlie

I would be a bit surprised if they used the bells on the Confederation Line the same way they do on the Trillium Line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason the Trillium Line trains ring their bells all the time because of federal rail regulations?

3 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

I would be a bit surprised if they used the bells on the Confederation Line the same way they do on the Trillium Line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason the Trillium Line trains ring their bells all the time because of federal rail regulations?

Correct, it is federal regulations for trains (not sure how they define a train, whether it includes light metro/LRT service or not) to ring their bell as then enter and when they are leaving a station.

Testing of the CBTC system will begin soon :

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/train-automation-is-managers-biggest-concern-as-city-moves-toward-lrt-launch

Also in the article, it says that the westbound tracks are complete, and 50% of the eastbound tracks have yet to be finished. Manconi said that a LRT will be punched through the tunnel in the next little while.

Finally, some action will happen on the western alignment, as it seems like it has been ready for a while now. I still feel like the city will end up having to do an abridged testing including running a full schedule day which, hopefully, will not lead to any major hiccups in the fall once it is open, or delay it any longer.

-Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JCL said:

There is a "Response to Inquiry" from a Transit Commissioner regarding situations if there were to be an unplanned closure  of the LRT Stations: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=7312&doctype=agenda&itemid=374796

Nice to get a bit of info what those contingency plans are. Especially knowing that transit agencies have contingency plans in case something happens.

Knowing that in the transit systems I have taken (Translink, TTC and Go Transit), if there are not enough spare operators available, then they would have to go to operators on routes to cover shuttles covering the contingency service. Knowing that the O-Train Trillium Line, they have a plan where they maintain 15 minute frequency and use spares.

Though the difference is that depending on where you are such as downtown and not time sensitive, it is easier to wait it out than deal with contingency bus service depending on the time. Especially when they do warn buses do not have the same carrying capacity as rail vehicles (6 articulated buses would be required to cover a two car light rail train).

7E216CE9-ECEF-42F5-A80B-698A1F9FA179.thumb.jpeg.2916d5b71919dacffb842dff01f6c8a8.jpeg

Managed to snap a few pictures myself, talk about being at the right place at the right time!

Picture taken while waiting for a bus at Bayview, train number 1122.

-Charlie

Also, not sure why they took of some of the wheel panels.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Charlie said:

7E216CE9-ECEF-42F5-A80B-698A1F9FA179.thumb.jpeg.2916d5b71919dacffb842dff01f6c8a8.jpeg

Managed to snap a few pictures myself, talk about being at the right place at the right time!

Picture taken while waiting for a bus at Bayview, train number 1122.

-Charlie

Also, not sure why they took of some of the wheel panels.

More then likely to check for track clearance 

Here's a Instagram from one of the Transit planners 

• Like 3

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎30 at 7:06 PM, Charlie said:

Correct, it is federal regulations for trains (not sure how they define a train, whether it includes light metro/LRT service or not) to ring their bell as then enter and when they are leaving a station.

That I think is the same as the FRA rules in the US. What is different, of course, is the rule about using their horns - see FRA rule 14, where for example, the grade crossing sequence is not mandatory in Canada. But not to worry for the Confederation Line is fully grade-separated.

10 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

It seems 1122 is staying in the westend for a while. 

Seen powered down this afternoon at Tunneys Pasture 

20180421_234351.thumb.jpg.946a648a564ed58d3c85584b0cf0b4d6.jpg

I am sure it will stay there until at least it can pass thru the tunnel on it’s own power.

-Charlie

There is a report that is on the agenda next week's Transportaton Committee regarding the Functional Design for the Kanata Light Rail Transit: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=7302&doctype=agenda&itemid=372869

Just so there is no confusion, the Transportation Committee is NOT the Transit Commission. Transit-related Infrastructure projects typically goes to this Committee rather than the Transit Commission. 

4 hours ago, JCL said:

There is a report that is on the agenda next week's Transportaton Committee regarding the Functional Design for the Kanata Light Rail Transit: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=7302&doctype=agenda&itemid=372869

Just so there is no confusion, the Transportation Committee is NOT the Transit Commission. Transit-related Infrastructure projects typically goes to this Committee rather than the Transit Commission. 

On top, here is an article from the Ottawa Citizen quoting the cost to build the extension is $1.85 billion dollars.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/kanata-lrt-extension-would-cost-1-85b-to-build-someday?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&link_time=1524690521#link_time=1524690474

That is if they go all the way to Stittsville with a connection to Canadian Tire Centre. Though it would be a tough sell especially with the plans of moving the arena downtown which would make it more difficult to justify the extension beyond Terry Fox Station (the major hub for local routes in Kanata).

I do think they could make it happen, but considering the second stage is already at $3.6 billion dollars (Airport, Moodie, Trim and Baseline extensions quoted in 2017 dollars), would be hard to finance a little more extra. Especially with the provincial and federal governments running large deficits in their budgets.