O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

GeoOttawa seems to have been updated with the updated planned extension to Moodie Drive including the Moodie MSF. It also shows a section of track stretching west all the way just past the Wesley Clover Parks Campground. For a future extension, but it seems a little strange that it's being built as part of Stage 2.

Edit: Don't know if it was mentioned before, but the Moodie station platform isn't on the main westbound track. Is it possible it would be discontinued once the LRT reaches Kanata?

Edited by OCCheetos
Extra details

1 hour ago, OCCheetos said:

GeoOttawa seems to have been updated with the updated planned extension to Moodie Drive including the Moodie MSF. It also shows a section of track stretching west all the way just past the Wesley Clover Parks Campground. For a future extension, but it seems a little strange that it's being built as part of Stage 2.

Edit: Don't know if it was mentioned before, but the Moodie station platform isn't on the main westbound track. Is it possible it would be discontinued once the LRT reaches Kanata?

I am almost wondering. Especially because it is only single track, that it might be showing a temporary station? With a proper one being built when the lrt is extended out to Kanata. I just find it hard to believe that they would get rid of Moodie once the lrt goes out to Kanata. I had also thought that they were going to put the station on the east side Moodie drive but maybe not?

Of course, most of this is purely speculation, so don’t take this comment too seriously :)

13 hours ago, Charlie said:

I am almost wondering. Especially because it is only single track, that it might be showing a temporary station? With a proper one being built when the lrt is extended out to Kanata. I just find it hard to believe that they would get rid of Moodie once the lrt goes out to Kanata. I had also thought that they were going to put the station on the east side Moodie drive but maybe not?

Of course, most of this is purely speculation, so don’t take this comment too seriously :)

The actual Moodie station is missing on geoOttawa. The platform that is labeled as 'Moodie' is actually a special events platform for Wesley Clover Parks. You can see a map on page 110 of this document: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub_fr/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=479638

The real Moodie station will be on the east side of Moodie Drive, where the BRT station is being built. I'm sure a lot of people will be wondering why they don't add another 1.5 km of track past the proposed Maintenance and Storage Facility to Eagleson Park & Ride, given Moodie will have no parking.

5 hours ago, johnfowler said:

The actual Moodie station is missing on geoOttawa. The platform that is labeled as 'Moodie' is actually a special events platform for Wesley Clover Parks. You can see a map on page 110 of this document: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub_fr/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=479638

The real Moodie station will be on the east side of Moodie Drive, where the BRT station is being built. I'm sure a lot of people will be wondering why they don't add another 1.5 km of track past the proposed Maintenance and Storage Facility to Eagleson Park & Ride, given Moodie will have no parking.

While it is "just" another 1.5 kilometres, construction would entail lots of terraforming, whichever alignment the tracks take on. The berm the highway is currently built on is as wide as the highway, and I believe some blasting would be required near the crest of the hill.

On 2017-11-05 at 10:08 AM, johnfowler said:

On geottawa they have put on the full-service platforms now on the east side of the highway.

I'm not sure of where the article is but if I recall there was an issue with the Moodie Station. I'm not sure of the exact details but I think it had to do with environment issues(a park or wild life thing) or being to far from the DND headquarters?(bus transfer issue?), or which side of the Queensway or was it Moodie Drive? not sure which or the Station was only  A' Temp Station' and there where going to re-locate it afterwards?

So I was looking at the maps for the new bus routes starting Christmas Eve, and I noticed that on the routes that connected to St. Laurent, Blair and Hurdman, they all had the icon for the Confederation Line 1.

294map.gif

However, the new route 17 that ends at Rideau does not have the 1 icon.

017map.gif

Maybe I am just saying nonsense, but, could they possibly, maybe run the train from Blair to Hurdman or uOttawa before the rest of the system? This would also go with them officially changing the Trillium Line’s name to Line 2. I am not saying they would run it starting anytime soon, just before the rest of the system starts up. Thoughts?

-Charlie

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

So I was looking at the maps for the new bus routes starting Christmas Eve, and I noticed that on the routes that connected to St. Laurent, Blair and Hurdman, they all had the icon for the Confederation Line 1.

294map.gif

017map.gif

Maybe I am just saying nonsense, but, could they possibly, maybe run the train from Blair to Hurdman or uOttawa before the rest of the system? This would also go with them officially changing the Trillium Line’s name to Line 2. I am not saying they would run it starting anytime soon, just before the rest of the system starts up. Thoughts?

-Charlie

Very possible , I had a conversation with a higher up about layoffs and told me not to worry for the time being as the Current Service will run parallel with the Train for 6-12 months before they remove Albert and Slater Service. 

So maybe they will run Blair to Hurdman as a Test then Open the remainder later on , which would be a Smart Idea , to ensure the System runs properly and doesn’t have issues like the Trillium Line does. 

12 hours ago, Charlie said:

294map.gif

017map.gif

-Charlie

Regarding the 17 not having the Route 1 icon, it is most likely an oversight knowing that sometimes it can be missed.

The problem with running the train in phases is more about the crew bookings knowing that it would be a bit complex with having one service running and having the other pick up that slack kind of thing. Especially short-term, the costs would be a lot higher trying to accommodate for that.

Since the project is most likely running behind, looks like they might utilize it as an option. Even though I think they may need to request more funding in the budget to make that happen. 

54 minutes ago, JCL said:

This picture was posted by a user on Instagram

The City of Ottawa did state that 16 trains are completed from the last update. Just a few of the many vehicles that will eventually reach up to 34 cars.

Stage 2 most likely increasing the amount of required cars especially being more comprehensive on reaching the bigger areas. 

9 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The City of Ottawa did state that 16 trains are completed from the last update. Just a few of the many vehicles that will eventually reach up to 34 cars.

Stage 2 most likely increasing the amount of required cars especially being more comprehensive on reaching the bigger areas. 

I believe they are doubling the fleet or so, hence the expansion of the train shed at Belfast yard that they are doing right now and the smaller yard at moodie that they will build.

-Charlie

On 11/19/2017 at 11:14 AM, Charlie said:

294map.gif

017map.gif

-Charlie

It doesn't say Rideau Station on the 17. It shows the shopping Centre. Maybe it will change when the station opens. Just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be an update from staff on the project on Friday, December 15 at 1:30pm. 

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/confederation-line-light-rail-transit-project-update

Confederation Line light rail transit project update

December 5, 2017
Announcements and Events

On Friday, December 15, City staff will provide an update on the O-Train Confederation Line light rail transit (LRT) project to Members of Council and the media.

Date: Friday, December 15, 2017

Time: 1:30 p.m.

Location: Champlain Room, Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JCL said:

There will be an update from staff on the project on Friday, December 15 at 1:30pm. 

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/confederation-line-light-rail-transit-project-update

Hopefully it will also nail down the date of when the Confederation line will be opening knowing the original date was May 25, 2018.

At the same time, it most likely will tell what the current status is and most likely the testing. Knowing that it is pretty comprehensive along with the challenges faced over the last few years with detours.

Looking forward to what they have to say. 

22 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Hopefully it will also nail down the date of when the Confederation line will be opening knowing the original date was May 25, 2018.

At the same time, it most likely will tell what the current status is and most likely the testing. Knowing that it is pretty comprehensive along with the challenges faced over the last few years with detours.

Looking forward to what they have to say. 

I hope they get the light rail running in time for Canada Day to help thin the crowds a bit.

1 hour ago, ONQCBusFan said:

I hope they get the light rail running in time for Canada Day to help thin the crowds a bit.

It will definitely be useful especially knowing that they have ran the bus model since they had Canada Day Celebrations.

Knowing that one train car can carry up to 300 people. That is equivalent to 3 articulated buses. Add another doubles the capacity and so on. 

There is no chance it will be ready by Canada Day

The track isn't even completely laid down on the line yet, signalling has to be installed and tested, stations have to be fitted out, staff (not just drivers) have to be recruited an trained, and crucially a full service has to be run on the system for a period of time for testing before it can be open to the public, I don't even think all the trains are built yet.

2018 is 3 weeks away......I'll predict that the very earliest that the line will be open to the public will be around October but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2019, don't forget #OnTrack2018 was dropped a long time ago in favour of the more obscure #ReadyForRail. If we were going live in little over 6 months the City would be proclaiming the news from the rooftops.