O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

Alstom will be providing 38 Citadis Spirit light rail vehicles for stage 2. A bit more than the current order of 34 for the first stage. They will take the same route as the original 34 units.

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2017/06/alstom-to-supply-38-citadis-spirit-lrvs-for-stage-2-of-ottawas-o-train-confederation-line/

Final comments:

Important to maintain consistency. Especially with how half the units on the original order are in different stages of production.

Hopefully there will be enough cars to go around for the extension. One car is 300 passengers (120 seated and 180 standing). 

City releases finalist bidders for next stage of light rail

• Confederation Transit Group (made up of Spanish transportation conglomerate Ferrovial, French road and rail company Colas and local construction firm Tomlinson)
  • East West Connectors (made up of American construction company Kiewit and French builder and transit operator Vinci)
  • Confederation Line 2 Partners (made up of American construction and engineering firm Bechtel and Canadian builders Aecon, Pomerleau and EBC)

Hurdmans permanent bus platform is almost ready for the move on Sunday.

Went by today and all the shelters and flags are in place.

For those worried about stuff falling on ones head, There is a scafhold tunnel set up (yes with lights too) 

Heres a couple of pictures. 

IMG_4002.thumb.JPG.f2efac6cbffe56b5753f159524d600c2.JPGIMG_4003.thumb.JPG.d1d0e3accbc0ea3d02d72b6f7540cf67.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomsbuspage said:

City releases finalist bidders for next stage of light rail

• Confederation Transit Group (made up of Spanish transportation conglomerate Ferrovial, French road and rail company Colas and local construction firm Tomlinson)
  • East West Connectors (made up of American construction company Kiewit and French builder and transit operator Vinci)
  • Confederation Line 2 Partners (made up of American construction and engineering firm Bechtel and Canadian builders Aecon, Pomerleau and EBC)

Going to be interesting who will be the final contractor for the stage 2 work. Especially with how large scale it is compared to stage 1.

I am hoping Confederation Line 2 partners win using American and Canadian companies. Though I think Confederation Transit Group or East West Connectors will have a better chance especially with the transit experience they have in their group. Especially being more large scale, experience is a critical asset. 

True hopefully a American/Canada group will win if not the majority of the workers will be   actually be Canadian. I'm curious at who bid on the Trillium Line? It will be the same companies or different? Will the RTG bid on it? I still think Alstom will win the bid for the trains for the Trillium Line, if not then it'll be interesting to see who wins and how the station will be if the trains exits don't match up with the platforms?

13 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Why would they be? The GTHA will need to have their own MSFs, too.

The could easy just have storage facialty and do maintaince on them but not have to actually assembly them. The ones we have here the bodies are made in New York but assemble here in Ottawa. The same can be done for the GTAH bodies made in New York, assembled here in Ottawa and then shipped to Toronto/Hamilton?

Why on earth would you assemble vehicles here, ship them elsewhere for final assembly, and then ship them back here? Seems very highly wasteful to me. Unless you're talking about the Citadis trams intended for the GTA, in which case the discussion about that isn't really relevant.

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

The could easy just have storage facialty and do maintaince on them but not have to actually assembly them. The ones we have here the bodies are made in New York but assemble here in Ottawa. The same can be done for the GTAH bodies made in New York, assembled here in Ottawa and then shipped to Toronto/Hamilton?

What is allowing assembly to take place in the Belfast MSF right now is the fact the Confederation Line is not yet in service. Stage 2's trains will likely be assembled in the second MSF. Once service begins, the space currently used for assembly will be used for servicing.

What I meant by my original reply, that the GTHA will have their own facilities, is that they will have their own facilities that will have space for assembly in mind, should they choose a similar arrangement as Ottawa. Why detour something shipped from New York destined for Toronto or Hamilton through Ottawa?

10 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Hurdmans permanent bus platform is almost ready for the move on Sunday.

Went by today and all the shelters and flags are in place.

For those worried about stuff falling on ones head, There is a scafhold tunnel set up (yes with lights too) 

Heres a couple of pictures. 

IMG_4002.thumb.JPG.f2efac6cbffe56b5753f159524d600c2.JPGIMG_4003.thumb.JPG.d1d0e3accbc0ea3d02d72b6f7540cf67.JPG

I think those are the final-state shelters which will be in place throughout at least Stage 1 of the Confederation Line. They are sealed at the bottom with doors that haven't yet been installed (as of 23 June). Once Tunney's Pasture Station gets its final modification, I think that style of bus shelter will be installed there, too (and Blair).

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Transitfan39 said:

Apologies if this was already mentioned but I was wondering if the construction is still on schedule or if its going to be  delayed from Spring 2018

No one really knows citing that they omitted Spring 2018 to simply just 2018 on the website.

Knowing that there have been several setbacks. Most notably with the Rideau sinkhole causing significant delays which was addressed by a complete closure of Rideau Street to get the work done faster. Along with when asked about it, they simply stated, "we don't commit ourselves to a deadline" answer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTAmissions1 said:

No one really knows citing that they omitted Spring 2018 to simply just 2018 on the website.

Knowing that there have been several setbacks. Most notably with the Rideau sinkhole causing significant delays which was addressed by a complete closure of Rideau Street to get the work done faster. Along with when asked about it, they simply stated, "we don't commit ourselves to a deadline" answer.

Hopefully they get it done before Canada day 2018, it would be awesome to be one of the first on the LRT train

2 minutes ago, Transitfan39 said:

Hopefully they get it done before Canada day 2018, it would be awesome to be one of the first on the LRT train

I agree. Especially with how Canada Day 2017 went which required spare buses to be moved around town to address crowded platforms.

Knowing that in one case, three articulated buses had to be sent to Gatineau (route 8) to clear the backlog. Or the spares being dispatched all over town to where they are needed. Which takes a significant toll on labour costs (LRT cars move in one, two or three car sets depending on how they choose to setup with one operator). Versus one train car that can carry 300 people. Times that by how many the couple for that capacity.

Moving around a lot more with less resources and labour. At the same time, want to ensure the new rail operators are comfortable with their job duties and responsibilities. It is a significant change from bus to train.

I'm assuming by July 1 2018 thr LRT will be up and running. 

It'll be interesting to see how the LRT & the downtown stations handle the Canada Day crowds during the day and then afterwards after the fireworks? I'm not sure how many trains (spaced between  two coupled trains together)can arrive at a station. They say during rush hour they can have a train every 5 mins. I'm not sure if they can have them come any less then that(do to safety issues I'm guessing).

In any case at least they'll have buses waiting at Tunney's Pasture, Hurdman, ST Laurent & Blair and won't need to worry about the street closers and people walking downtown?

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm assuming by July 1 2018 thr LRT will be up and running. 

It'll be interesting to see how the LRT & the downtown stations handle the Canada Day crowds during the day and then afterwards after the fireworks? I'm not sure how many trains (spaced between  two coupled trains together)can arrive at a station. They say during rush hour they can have a train every 5 mins. I'm not sure if they can have them come any less then that(do to safety issues I'm guessing).

In any case at least they'll have buses waiting at Tunney's Pasture, Hurdman, ST Laurent & Blair and won't need to worry about the street closers and people walking downtown?

The LRT is going to alleviate a lot of the burden and also plan easier like you mentioned, a lot of the additional supply can be allocated at the major stations.

To put into consideration, there will be 17 two car sets coupled together (total of 34 cars if uncoupled together). One way direction is 25 minutes approximately. Meaning that 10 two-car train sets (5 in each direction) would be required to provide the 5 minute headway. At a total capacity of 6,000 passengers/hour (300 passengers/car).

If they coupled another car (three car-set), it would bring the same amount of frequency of every 5 minutes, but with more capacity at 9,000 passengers/hour. Though not sure if the platforms will be big enough to accommodate that setup yet. Knowing that the station platforms are designed to be expanded when demand increases. 

Just my observation based on available information. 

I will be very surprised if LRT is up and running this time next year, don't forget once the system is completed there needs to be significant testing of the system, often to a full schedule of trains running empty for a period of time.

i think you are looking at late 2018 at the very earliest, the fact that no one will commit to even an approximate timescale now speaks volumes.

On 2017-06-23 at 11:24 AM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

I think those are the final-state shelters which will be in place throughout at least Stage 1 of the Confederation Line. They are sealed at the bottom with doors that haven't yet been installed (as of 23 June). Once Tunney's Pasture Station gets its final modification, I think that style of bus shelter will be installed there, too (and Blair).

I could be wrong.  but earlier today I saw the same company that was installing the new shelters at Hurdman 

installing the same ones at Tunney's Past this afternoon. 

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong )

• 2 weeks later...

On 2017-06-23 at 11:24 AM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

On 2017-07-04 at 8:50 PM, Oc4526 said:

I could be wrong.  but earlier today I saw the same company that was installing the new shelters at Hurdman 

installing the same ones at Tunney's Past this afternoon. 

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong )

Tunnys now has at least 5 of the new shelters (all fenced off)