O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

For anyone curious, Alstom posted this tweet confirming that there are over 10 vehicles on-site in different stages. From manufacturing to testing of the vehicles to ensure no issues occur. Should any issues do occur, they correct them and then reset the burn-in testing. 

TTC LFLRV streetcars and Toronto Rocket subway trains go through burn-in testing before heading into revenue service. I know the TTC LFLRV streetcars require 600 kilometres of running without any issues before accepting delivery and putting into revenue service. 

• Like 7

A bit of question regarding the first day of revenue service. The claim was Spring 2018 the first stage of the Confederation line will be in revenue service.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-lrt-rtg-contract-service-start-may-7-2018-now-appears-delayed-1.4077136?cmp=rss

Now, there is a possible chance that it may be delayed along with the date retracted simply stating 2018. This is more to protect themselves against commitment especially how many years of work when it started and being very large scale, there have been many issues reported.

The Rideau sinkhole was the biggest issue since they don't want to do any work until they know the issue is addressed and restoration before resuming.

Final comments:

The basic logic is that nothing is ever set in stone usually. Especially for large scale projects citing Eglinton Crosstown in Toronto also has been delayed due to the large scale of work involved. It was originally supposed to open in 2020, now it won't be open until 2021 if that milestone can be achieved either. 

Various media reporters have been tweeting that there is a construction-related incident at the eastern portal of the LRT Tunnel (Waller/Laurier area). Apparently a crane flipped over around 9:35am.

• 3 weeks later...

The Metro has an article summarizing the content of a memo that was issued to City Council members on the quarterly update on the LRT project: http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2017/05/14/confederation-line-quarterly-update-5-things-to-know.html

The key point is that on May 24, 2018, construction is suppose to be completed - otherwise, there will be penalties. The actual date of revenue service has not been determined. 

1 hour ago, JCL said:

The Metro has an article summarizing the content of a memo that was issued to City Council members on the quarterly update on the LRT project: http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/2017/05/14/confederation-line-quarterly-update-5-things-to-know.html

The key point is that on May 24, 2018, construction is suppose to be completed - otherwise, there will be penalties. The actual date of revenue service has not been determined. 

How interesting! Seems like WMATA's been through this before. I won't put too many links here, but feel free to check out the references from this section of the Wikipedia article on Washington's Silver Line. All too typical in Public-Private Partnerships.

in all honesty I don't see it happening. If does expect more accidents to occur. The point is the workers themselves say there are problems yet RTG & the city say there's not. Does someone need to be killed before the city & RTG get threw their heads there issues and safety concerns and yet RTG is ignoring the problem so the groups under RTG don't have to mega $$$ for not being on time?

6 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

in all honesty I don't see it happening. If does expect more accidents to occur. The point is the workers themselves say there are problems yet RTG & the city say there's not. Does someone need to be killed before the city & RTG get threw their heads there issues and safety concerns and yet RTG is ignoring the problem so the groups under RTG don't have to mega $$$ for not being on time?

Considering it is a fixed price (2.13 billion dollars and Rideau Transit Group taking full risk once they agree), I think they may be making compromises or sacrifices to getting it competed on time. Though, when I went by the last visit, I don't even think they are even close to getting it on time. 

Especially when they need the warmer weather to build the track infrastructure before wiring up the overhead wires. While trying to bring up to speed after the many delays that have occurred most notably the Rideau sinkhole. 

The scheduled plan is to complete the entire network by October 2017. This is before they simply removed it and just stated 2018: Full revenue service. 

Those several months of testing are critical to ensure there is no issues happening on the first day along with ensuring that the operators are comfortable with their responsibilities and tasks. It is a lot different carrying 600 versus 100 to 120 on an articulated bus (I know it is a variable of course). 

Final comments:

All down to the wire. Not sure if they will continue the streak of delivering the track record of delivering projects on time.

9 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Here is a photo of two Confederation Line train cars side to side near Blair.

Final comments:

They look very nice side to side. Especially with the capacity provided.

Capacity is 0 as neither will be in service any time soon, probably not for at least 18 months!

One year until Rideau Transit Group has to complete the project or risk penalties. 

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/countdown-to-confederation-line-contractor-to-turn-over-2-1b-lrt-line-in-one-year

May 24, 2018 to be exact. Though I am still a bit skeptical if they can get it done before the construction season is over. With the setbacks that have happened along with enough testing to keep it on-track. Especially Winter conditions also need the real world environment and not the mock up to ensure it can rigorously deliver.

Final comments:

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Not much left and hopefully everything does go well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

They look simaler to the Trillium line seats (bench seats) though iirc they will be padded 

You might be remembering the mockup train at Lansdowne, which had no padding. Padding was promised in the final trains at that time.